Where's the September Performance Report?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
I've been waiting for Amtrak to publish the September 2015 Performance Report and it is still not appearing on Amtrak's site. I know it is the year-end report also, so maybe because of that it's a little bit delayed. But for comparison, last year's September report came out on November 12th. What's the holdup? Don't they know we're all anxiously awaiting the chance to pick it apart like Thanksgiving leftovers?!? :p :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure speculation but we know bad news will come out when other news items will over shadow any Amtrak news. Maybe Wednesday evening or Friday when all the black Friday news will predominate ?

Haha, I was thinking that - maybe they're waiting until we're all shopping or trying to work off our food coma! :giggle:

Pure speculation but we know bad news will come out when other news items will over shadow any Amtrak news. Maybe Wednesday evening or Friday when all the black Friday news will predominate ?
Possible. We know the September monthly report won't be a good one for the fiscal year. So it does drop late on Wednesday pr Friday, I think it would be a legit conclusion that they waited so there would be fewer news articles on missing the targets for the year in the mainstream press.

The FY2016 appropriations for transportation is still being negotiated in a joint House/Senate conference committee, so that could play a role in delaying the September report for a bit, The news that was posted today is that the conference is close to settling on the final numbers and Amtrak is slated to get the same funding levels as FY2015, with a slight increase. So the threatened House cuts are almost off the table. Or maybe I'm being too cynical. ;)

Amtrak finally released the Capital Charge proposals / plans (through whatever committee was overseeing that) not long ago. Amtrak's accounting staff seems to be understaffed, so that may have delayed the September performance report.

Amtrak finally released the Capital Charge proposals / plans (through whatever committee was overseeing that) not long ago. Amtrak's accounting staff seems to be understaffed, so that may have delayed the September performance report.
The September 2015 monthly report has still not been posted (as of December 6). Your conjecture that the monthly report is delayed to iadjust the route performance report section and the FY15 number for the equipment capital charges makes sense. Meanwhile the State Fact Sheets for FY2015 have been posted, so the station passenger numbers are available, even if the ridership and revenue numbers for each train service are not.

I'm not sure the capital charges will show up on the Sept. 2015 report, I just figured the people who were working out the capital charge stuff and writing the report on that were probably the same people assigned to write the Sept. 2015 report, *and had to do it at the time when they would have been writing the September report*, so doing the capital charge report was probably preventing them from getting around to the Sept. 2015 report.

Dammit, I've lost the link to the report on capital charges. ... oh, here it is.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Pages/Section305Committee.aspx

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/Amtrak-State_EQ_CAPEX_CIP_2016_FINAL_20151027.pdf

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/CIP_Memorandum_2016vFinal.pdf

Came out at the end of October, and all the accounting at the end looks like it was produced by the same Amtrak people who produce the regular reports (the formatting is Amtrak's style). I would probably *not* expect any capital charges for September; Amtrak might retroactively charge for FY2014 and FY2015, but I really doubt this will happen. There may be capital charges for October since it looks like they're trying to start capital charges with FY2016.

P.S. The states should be paying Amtrak $66,955,460 in capital charges for 2016. If the federal budget stays roughly constant, which it looks like it will, that's nearly $67 million released for Amtrak to spend on other capital improvement needs.

A lot also depends on the accounting rules; it's quite possible that Amtrak will find a way to shunt "capital charge" payments into operating funds if there's a tight budget, for example (just because they're charging states a "capital charge" doesn't mean that's where those dollars ultimately wind up). IIRC it's only the appropriated-by-Congress cash which is so restricted, not necessarily raised-by-billing-the-states cash.

Also, while I think that such appropriations aren't broken out for FY15, I believe they are being assessed...at least, that's my understanding as far as Virginia goes. That being said, I think the charges may get slightly shuffled around for FY16 (as I believe is mostly the case on an annual basis anyway).

I don't think they're being assessed for 2015. There was enough complaint about Amtrak accounting from the states that I really doubt it; this is the first agreement regarding how much the charges should *be* and indeed the first agreement regarding how to calculate them. Furthermore, the new agreement says, basically, if Amtrak underestimates the capital charges, Amtrak eats the difference. (But if Amtrak overestimates, the states get a credit.) I suspect that if Amtrak is collecting anything from the states for capital charges in 2015, it's either a super-lowball estimate to avoid annoying the states -- or it's following the old contracts (which means Virginia was paying something, but New York wasn't paying anything).

The capital charges are not going to be moved to operating funds, not directly. What will happen is this shell game, because money is fungible:

-- capital charges pay for specified renovations of rolling stock

-- general capital budget authority formerly used for said renovations of rolling stock is used for other capital projects

-- some of those other capital projects were formerly funded by operating money; that money will now stay with operations.

But the operating budget is really likely to cover the operating costs, so in practice I expect the capital charges to amount to additional money for general capital. It's nowhere near what Amtrak needs in capital, but it's a help -- it may help get the Chicago Union Station renovations finished, or pay for some of the Viewliners, or some catenary pole replacements, or whatever.

P.S. The states should be paying Amtrak $66,955,460 in capital charges for 2016. If the federal budget stays roughly constant, which it looks like it will, that's nearly $67 million released for Amtrak to spend on other capital improvement needs.
Aren't the capital charges supposedly for building up a warchest to fund acquisition of replacement rolling stock? Seems like it would be a bit of folly to fritter it away on other stuff, no?

Aren't the capital charges supposedly for building up a warchest to fund acquisition of replacement rolling stock? Seems like it would be a bit of folly to fritter it away on other stuff, no?
(1) This is Amtrak we're talking about...

(2) That being said, I suspect any "warchest" used on that front is likely to either get used "as cash" (e.g. to cover ops and/or major capital backlogs) or to help cover any downpayments on the Acela II order.

(3) Also, depending on how things go, there may be a case where it's "either use the money improperly (e.g. on operating/backlogged stuff) or lose a major LD train".

When I said "other capital improvements", of course top in my mind was rolling stock replacement / acquisition for lines like Empire Service and the Lake Shore Limited. :) Remember, Syracuse is my home station...
But actually, jis, what you described is NOT what the states agreed to; the money is *not* to fund acquisition of replacement rolling stock.

The states agreed to pay the cost of Amtrak's regular "overhauls" on the equipment they're using. (Proportionally when the equipment is used for state services part-time.) These overhauls were *previously* paid for out of the general capital budget. So, quite legitimately, that general capital funding, which was *formerly* used for overhauling Horizons and other state-run equipment, will now be used for other needs.

Such as fixing Chicago Union Station, buying more Viewliners, repairing wrecked cars, et cetera. Stuff which is actually worthwhile.

So the September report allowed me to update my estimates for profit and loss by route for the so-called long-distance trains based on *direct* costs, with the massive overhead stripped off.
Unfortunately I'm still using 2014 overhead for the estimate; the 2015 overhead allocated to the so-called long-distance trains won't be released until Amtrak's annual report comes out. If overhead is up (as it has been every year for several years) then all the trains are doing better than I think. If overhead is down then they're doing worse than I think.
And of course I'm still assuming 2012 proportions for the allocation of the overhead; if Amtrak's been doing jiggery-pokery with overhead allocation, these numbers will be wrong (trains which were allocated 'extra' overhead will be doing better than I think, trains which were allocated less overhead will be doing worse than I think).

None of this changes my main conclusion, which is in large print boldface below.

Anyway, from most to least profitable on an estimated *direct costs* basis:
Auto Train $43.6 million profit (overhead allocated is actually less than this, so it shows a profit after overhead)
Silver Meteor $13.5 million profit
Palmetto $6.4 million profit
Silver Star $5.1 million profit
Lake Shore Limited $0.6 million profit (sleepers are more profitable than coaches on this route, so adding Viewliner II sleepers should help)
Empire Builder $0.1 million loss (unfortunately costs will go up next year by several million due to on-time-performance payments to BNSF)
Coast Starlight $0.3 million loss (a 1% increase of revenue ahead of costs would make this profitable -- could happen in 2016)
Crescent $1.5 million loss
Cardinal $2.7 million loss (based on naive extrapolation, would be $2.9 million profit if daily)
City of New Orleans $5.6 million loss
Capitol Limited $5.7 million loss
Southwest Chief $6.3 million loss
Texas Eagle $7.3 million loss
Sunset Limited $12.5 million loss (based on naive extrapolation, would be $7.7 million loss if daily)
California Zephyr $14.2 million loss

The long-distance group as a whole is profitable before overhead -- $12.9 million -- thanks mostly to the Auto Train profits.
The phoney overhead-loaded numbers claim that it costs "$494.8 million".

The difference is $507.7 million in overhead which is arbitrarily assigned to the long-distance trains.

It's worth pointing out that if all of this overhead was reassigned to the NEC, THE NEC WOULD LOOK UNPROFITABLE even before considering capital costs. The NEC does not cover Amtrak's overhead.

I think this absolutely needs to be a talking point whenever anyone is talking to politicians about Amtrak. The *entirety* of the federal operating subsidy for Amtrak -- and more -- is going to overhead. Cutting any one train service will not reduce this overhead by one single dollar.

The vast majority of the overhead is used for the NEC or the state-supported trains -- for example, all but two of the maintenance bases handle equipment either for state supported trains or the NEC. (The exceptions are Sanford, which is probably accounted for as a "direct cost" of the Auto Train, and New Orleans which handles three long-distance trains. You might possibly argue that it would be possible to close Hialeah if lots of trains were cancelled, but the Viewliner group of trains generates $15.0 million in profits -- I doubt Hialeah costs much more than that, and it handles baggage cars for the whole system now too.) The reservations system and call center is necessary even if Amtrak is only running one train. Chicago Union Station, New York Penn Station, Philadelphia 30th St. Station, Washington Union Station, Boston South Station, Albany-Rennselear, and so on are all unavoidable costs which would exist even if the whole long-distance network were cancelled.

After looking at the 1978 Brock Adams report, it is really notable that Amtrak is in an entirely different financial situation than it was then. Back then, there actually were significant numbers of "money losing trains".

Now, the trains are profitable, they're just not quite profitable enough to cover overhead or capital costs. Which means Amtrak needs to get *bigger*, to leverage those economies of scale.

Financially speaking, the top priorities for the long-distance division should be:

-- Daily Cardinal (saves $5.6 million in ops funding)

-- Daily Sunset (saves $4.9 million in ops funding)

-- Viewliner sleeper deployment (should generate about $9 million / year net of op costs)

-- Cap/Pennsy through cars / CL & LSL reschedule (should generate about $1.1 million/year)

-- New Atlanta station for the Crescent (cutoff cars could improve the economics by $1.5 million or more)

Another interesting point: revenue was down for most of the long-distance division in 2015 (expected due to various disasters), but on several routes costs were down even more. Specifically, costs dropped by $8.2 million on the Southwest Chief, $8.4 million on the Coast Starlight, and by over $6.6 million on the Crescent. I'm hoping this isn't just overhead jiggery-pokery. But if it isn't, I wonder what changed? There haven't been any well-publicized changes on the SWC -- did Amtrak do something clever behind the scenes? I approve of cost-cutting which is invisible to the passenger.

What can we do to wake NARP out of its torpor and take up this information and run with it for a bit? Charlie? Cliff? Isn't this a better more positive and less divisive approach than endlessly bickering about NEC vs LD?

Regarding October: flooding in the Southeast has already damaged the FY2016 revenue for the Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, and Auto Train. Oh well!

Neuroden: About the Crescent's loss.

1. The ATL - NOL segment needs much less capacity per the PRIIA report.

2. So ATL - NOL 518 miles or 1036 miles / day.

3. Times 345 days operating. taking in account the 20 days in Jan and FEB not operating

4. times 5 1 loco, 2 coach, 1 diner, 1 sleeper not needed south of Atlanta

5. Times published mileage costs per car of $4.00 / mile. ( note find that high )

6. All that equals $7.5M The sometimes needed extra cars south of ATL not considered.

7. Would expect switching charges at Atlanta would add up maybe $2.M per year.

This would still enable the Crescent to sow a profit and if the one coach and sleeper is added to capacity there may be more profit although more mileage charges.

September AND October 2015 Performance Reports are now available! September report here:
Not good reports overall for ridership and revenue. The October 2015 ridership numbers, even allowing for the flood disruptions in the Carolinas, were down on a number of routes. Don't have time to post an analysis this week, so I'll leave that to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back