Which direction between SFC/LAX - WAS most scenic?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Lead Service Attendant
We're planning another train trip for next April and need some help.

We can leave from either San Francisco or Los Angeles and are going to Washington D.C. We will fly one way, and take the train the other way.

Which train is more scenic: between SFC (EMY) or from LAX to CHI? Which direction has more daytime scenic viewing?

Which train between CHI to WAS? Which direction? We're open to either Capitol Limited or Crescent -- but would like to see as much beautiful scenery that we can.

Also, any hotel suggestions in WAS would be greatly appreciated -- as we have no intention of renting a car. We hope to be spending most of our time at the Smithsonian.

We would have liked to visit the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and the Football Hall of Fame -- but can fear the idea of arriving at 2am+.

Which train is more scenic: between SFC (EMY) or from LAX to CHI? Which direction has more daytime scenic viewing?
I would vote for the California Zephyr (CZ) westbound from CHI-EMY (SFC). The CZ climb and crossing of the Rockies west of Denver and the crossing of the Sierra Nevada west of RNO is done in daylight. Eastbound, the Sierras is done in daylight, but the most scenic portion of the Rockies crossing may be in darkness.

Which train between CHI to WAS? Which direction? We're open to either Capitol Limited or Crescent -- but would like to see as much beautiful scenery that we can.
First off, the Crescent does not go to CHI. (Did you mean the Cardinal?) I would vote for the Cardinal eastbound (for scenery)! But note that the Cardinal is a single level train and does not have checked baggage. The Capitol Limited has Superliner equipment, with a Sightseer Lounge and offers checked baggage!

We can leave from either San Francisco or Los Angeles and are going to Washington D.C. We will fly one way, and take the train the other way.

Also, any hotel suggestions in WAS would be greatly appreciated -- as we have no intention of renting a car. We hope to be spending most of our time at the Smithsonian.

We would have liked to visit the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and the Football Hall of Fame -- but can fear the idea of arriving at 2am+.
The California Zephyr out of Emeryville would probably be the best route to take as you cross both the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies in daylight while the desert crossing from Reno to Salt Lake City is covered at night.

The South West Chief out of LA only crosses the Rockies and at a much lower altitude.

From Chicago the Cardinal (only three times a week) gives the best daylight scenery but doesn't have a proper lounge car or baggage car.

We're doing this trip (New York - Emeryville) in April for the second time. Unfortunately we'll miss a lot of the scenery on the Cardinal due to the westbound timetable. Eastbound is definitely the better option.

The California Zephyr out of Emeryville would probably be the best route to take as you cross both the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies in daylight while the desert crossing from Reno to Salt Lake City is covered at night.

The South West Chief out of LA only crosses the Rockies and at a much lower altitude.

From Chicago the Cardinal (only three times a week) gives the best daylight scenery but doesn't have a proper lounge car or baggage car.

We're doing this trip (New York - Emeryville) in April for the second time. Unfortunately we'll miss a lot of the scenery on the Cardinal due to the westbound timetable. Eastbound is definitely the better option.

Thank you Traveler and Konrad -- yes, it should be the Cardinal.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cardinal does not come through Cleveland, so you would have to to take the CL or Lake Shore Limited to get to CLE from CHI (eastbound). The LSL gets in at 6:05 AM. You could take the CL from CLE to WAS then (It leaves at 2:25 AM - Amtrak doesn't really like CLE).

Going the other way (westbound from WAS), the CL gets to CLE at 2:41 AM. To go to CHI then - CL leaves at 2:47 AM and the LSL leaves at 3:45 AM. Did I say that Amtrak really doesn't like CLE? :angry2:

There should be taxis at the station (to be sure, call ahead to arrange one) and there are numerous downtown hotels. The Hampton Inn downtown (9th Street) has a rental car agency in it if you want to rent and go to the Football HOF. The Rock N Roll HOF is within walking distance of both the Hamton Inn and the Amtrak station, but I would not walk it in the middle of the night.

Also, if your are an amusement park fan, Cedar Point (the best amusement park in the world) is only a 90 minute drive from CLE. I've done it in 75 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your other question, I would go Westbound on the CZ for all the reasons mentioned before.

Also, I plan on flying from CLE to CHI because of the poor timing of the LSL and CL in Cleveland. I'll be picking up the CZ from there to go to EMY. Both Chicago Midway and O'Hare have train service to just a few blocks from CHI Uniion Station. This may help mitigate the middle-of-the-night thing. There is nothing scenic between CLE and CHI in my opinion. Flights are ~$110/person one-way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back