which direction of travel on the chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which way on the chief?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamflemming

Train Attendant
Hey guys! I have finally registered on Amtrak unlimited! My first question to you guys is, would you go eastbound or westbound on the chief. I have heard you miss Raton pass going east. Is this true? I have also heard you miss Arizona going west. Which way would you pick? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for westbound. Westbound, you get to see Illinois, Missouri, part of Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, and part of California. That's good enough for me! :)

edit: Hard to see Arizona. If train is slightly late, you can see Kansas.

How about Arizona? Don't you see more Arizona eastbound? Besides Arizona, I agree westbound is probably better.

Something that I forgot to point out, is that that daylight map is the Amtrak timetable for the chief is not that accurate imo

I have only traveled westbound on the Chief, but enjoyed it immensely. I would have liked to see Arizona, though.

Well, I am taking the chief sometime next week, it's just I didn't decide which way
Well, if you had the time and money, take it both ways. If not, then just westbound.

I have only traveled westbound on the Chief, but enjoyed it immensely. I would have liked to see Arizona, though.
Except that you would not have seen Arizona even if going eastbound. To see Arizona, the best way would be the SL eastbound or maybe a Greyohund bus.

Westbound was amazing when I did it 6 years ago - wow it doesn't seem like that long. The Arizona stuff is not going to be seen well in either direction, but I remember when I took it right around the longest day of the year, I could see the monoliths and red formations well until almost 9pm, when I ended up going to bed. I highly recommend the westbound, and it's nice that you're so flexible so as to be leaving in a week and have the option to go either way.

Another Vote for Westbound if you can only do one! Not much to see in Kansas after Kansas City, crossing the Mississippi is about the only thing worthwhile between CHI and KCY. Be prepared for the Rough Tracks in Western Kansas, not much Maintence is being done on these Tracks by BNSF, but the Sun will be Rising as you get into Eastern Colorado, youll cross Raton Pass (look for lots of Boy Scouts boarding and deboarding for the Scout Ranch), the stop in Albuquerque

is a nice break and youll have Dinner as it gets dark rolling through New Mexico for Arizona! As has been said youll miss Arizona in the dark, but the stop in Flagstaff and Williams Junction (nothing there!) are where people get on/off for the Grand Canyon, then youll roll through the California Desert into the LA Metro Basin into Fullerton and into LAS Union Station usually Early to on time! Good Train with usually Good Equipment, Good Food in the Diner and good OBS and Crew! :cool: When youre on the Praries look for Deer, Antelope and other animals and youll see the Mountains in the Distance!

***Tip for the Diner; Take early Meal times, this is a Very Popular Train and the Diner fills rapidly and they start running out of "good stuff" on the Second Day!

It sounds like you can't go wrong. I went eastbound because that's what i needed to do and it was AMAZING. I woke up in Arizona, had the entire day crossing New Mexico which was gorgeous, we had a fresh air break at La Junta at dusk which gave me an awesome sense of the space in the centre of the US and how far I was from everywhere. There was just this quiet town, a few locals watching the train come in and us and our train in the fading light. Then a second night, this time bouncing all over the place as we went through Kansas (the tracks were every bit as bad as promised) watching the stars. I remember thinking that I was exactly where I wanted to be and I didn't want the trip to end. Then morning crossing Missouri and my first crossing of the Mississippi, on time into Chicago. Great trip!

I usually ride the SWC - and all Amtrak trains - in the direction they're headed!
laugh.gif
But really, if only one direction to take the SWC, I would vote for westbound also. Besides the reasons given, the descent of Cajon Pass is worthwhile.

As far as not seeing Arizona, I don't quite understand!
blink.gif
Doesn't the eastbound SWC get to FLG about 7 am, and that is only 1/2 way across AZ! I think it's light out at 7 am, 8 am, etc...!
biggrin.gif

It sounds like you can't go wrong. I went eastbound because that's what i needed to do and it was AMAZING. I woke up in Arizona, had the entire day crossing New Mexico which was gorgeous, we had a fresh air break at La Junta at dusk which gave me an awesome sense of the space in the centre of the US and how far I was from everywhere. There was just this quiet town, a few locals watching the train come in and us and our train in the fading light. Then a second night, this time bouncing all over the place as we went through Kansas (the tracks were every bit as bad as promised) watching the stars. I remember thinking that I was exactly where I wanted to be and I didn't want the trip to end. Then morning crossing Missouri and my first crossing of the Mississippi, on time into Chicago. Great trip!
Very nice description. Yeah, it's like that!

I will be different, I vote eastbound because train #4 seems to have fewer mechanical issues than #3. As far as daylight, the best part around Raton is daylight both ways, unless your #3 train is running late because it had a locomotive stop working.

(This is based on my personal experiences and not on any actual numbers)

Westbound you have roughly Flagstaff to Raton in daylight. You can have breakfast in the Painted Desert, lunch in Albuquerque, and dinner in Raton pass.

I usually ride the SWC - and all Amtrak trains - in the direction they're headed!
laugh.gif
But really, if only one direction to take the SWC, I would vote for westbound also. Besides the reasons given, the descent of Cajon Pass is worthwhile.

As far as not seeing Arizona, I don't quite understand!
blink.gif
Doesn't the eastbound SWC get to FLG about 7 am, and that is only 1/2 way across AZ! I think it's light out at 7 am, 8 am, etc...!
biggrin.gif
Try 4:30am when the rest of the country is on daylight savings.

I took the Chief westbound (CHI - LAX), and I enjoyed it immensely! I really enjoyed the scenery through Raton Pass, NM, etc.

Have done both directions several times and I guess I would give a slight edge to the westbound. You will see a little of Arizona going eastbound in the summer months. Usually a little more time in ABQ going eastbound as train sometimes runs early. But as mentioned, if train is running late you might miss some of Raton Pass, whereby westbound you would nearly always be going through there in daylight hours. Have a great trip! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back