WHICH ENGINE IS BETTER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray

Train Attendant
hey you all on my trip to califonia last year i was on the southwest chief when i over heard two railfans arguing over the p42 and the f59phi one said that the the p42 has a better k5la and the other said.... but im going to ask you guys because i know you all are good railfans so please which one is better im going with the p42 aways has a differnt k5la :lol:

hey you all on my trip to califonia last year i was on the southwest chief when i over heard two railfans arguing over the p42 and the f59phi one said that the the p42 has a better k5la and the other said.... but im going to ask you guys because i know you all are good railfans so please which one is better im going with the p42 aways has a differnt k5la :lol:
I'm pretty sure they both use K5LA horns. The P42 is a more specialized engine, designed for use in the New York tunnels- or rather, they are designed to run through them dead, whereas the F59PHI wouldn't fit. The F59PHI is an EMD engine, I think prior to the GM sale, which would mean they are probably more reliable. The F59PHI is just a modified GP, I think. I'm sure the P42 is considerably more expensive.

they all sound good the problem is there not always in tune.
what does that mean :huh:
dirt rain and stuff take there toll and the horns are not always cleaned or repaired so they squeak alot and as some railfans say that horn sounds sick when its not operating correctly

Well actually, some horns are modified while in the shops. There are also different K5LAs (Regular, Canadian, and Hybrid). The Long Island Rail Road is now known as the RR that kills horns. Why? People complained about the noise. Some horns on the LIRR are God ofawl while others are heavenly. So any horn is hit or miss on any loco.

cpamtfan-Peter

they all sound good the problem is there not always in tune.
what does that mean :huh:
dirt rain and stuff take there toll and the horns are not always cleaned or repaired so they squeak alot and as some railfans say that horn sounds sick when its not operating correctly

Well actually, some horns are modified while in the shops. There are also different K5LAs (Regular, Canadian, and Hybrid). The Long Island Rail Road is now known as the RR that kills horns. Why? People complained about the noise. Some horns on the LIRR are God ofawl while others are heavenly. So any horn is hit or miss on any loco.

cpamtfan-Peter
yeah they build a sub division right next to the tracks people move in and then want the horns banned cause its too loud. well why the hell move next to the tracks if it bothers you.

yeah they build a sub division right next to the tracks people move in and then want the horns banned cause its too loud. well why the hell move next to the tracks if it bothers you.

I couldn't agree with you more, Kiss Alive. That kind of thinking has never made any sense to me. The tracks were there first!!!
I get new neighbors that move out of town to dairy country where I live. Then the September heat waves come, right when the ranchers are manuring the fields. Complaints galore. They have nothing to complain about. I was raised a city boy, but I love that smell, it reminds me I'd rather live here than in town.

what you do is take one of those horns install it on your vehical and drive it to a quite zone were the horns are banned and BLAST IT all through town. :D

I couldn't agree with you more, Kiss Alive. That kind of thinking has never made any sense to me. The tracks were there first!!!
I get new neighbors that move out of town to dairy country where I live. Then the September heat waves come, right when the ranchers are manuring the fields. Complaints galore. They have nothing to complain about. I was raised a city boy, but I love that smell, it reminds me I'd rather live here than in town.

Same here. I live in a rural area and we get people moving from the city and from other states specificially to this area so they can enjoy rural life but then complain about it. They complain about the noise from farm machinery. They complain about the dust. (That's what happens when you live in an area that gets 15 inches of rain a year!). They complain about the noise and smell from cows, horses, hogs, and sheep. They complain about living on gravel roads (You're going to get unpaved roads in a county that's twice the size of Rhode Island and a very small tax base) and complain about the "slow" response times of emergency vehicles. (Gee, the fact they live 15 miles from the nearest town, like they wanted in the first place, might have something to do with it!!!) In fact, Petaluma, you might be interested to know that in our region, there is a generic name for folks who move here from out of state and complain about everything and try to tell the locals how to live. These people are called "Californians". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same here. I live in a rural area and we get people moving from the city and from other states specificially to this area so they can enjoy rural life but then complain about it. They complain about the noise from farm machinery. They complain about the dust. (That's what happens when you live in an area that gets 15 inches of rain a year!). They complain about the noise and smell from cows, horses, hogs, and sheep. They complain about living on gravel roads (You're going to get unpaved roads in a county that's twice the size of Rhode Island and a very small tax base) and complain about the "slow" response times of emergency vehicles. (Gee, the fact they live 15 miles from the nearest town, like they wanted in the first place, might have something to do with it!!!) In fact, Petaluma, you might be interested to know that in our region, there is a generic name for folks who move here from out of state and complain about everything and try to tell the locals how to live. These people are called "Californians". :lol: :lol: :lol:
That reminds me of a trip I took to Idaho to visit inlaws. The husband took me to a country redneck bar full of lumbermen. We enter, of course me with hair half way to my waste, and talk about a room suddenly going silent. Sit down at the bar, guy next to me says, I'm Jack, who are you"? Me; "I'm Dennis from California and I DON'T want to move here"! We had a great time after that, hung out all day and bought rounds. Great bunch of guys.

That's good to hear. Just got back from working- spreading manure on the field.

That's good to hear. Just got back from working- spreading manure on the field.
what ever happened to the f40 it used to have good horns did they give all to other railroads is there atleast one left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back