Which is better Capitol Limited or Cardinal??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jannie

Train Attendant
It appears both get me to my distination Chicago to (Alexandria -King Station) either direct or via WASH DC, One says viewliner & other Superliner - will probably have roommette. from the drawings it seems like the viewliner has a bathroom in the roomette? There will be 2 people in the roomette. Or, am I looking at this wrong - not sure I want one in that small space.

Which is the better or nicer train to travel on. I suppose if we opt for coach seats - they are both the same.

Thank you.

The Viewliners (Cardinal) do have a toilet in the room - but it is unenclosed. Thus if 2 are in the room, unless you're VERY close, 1 must leave while the other uses the toilet. Also the Cardinal rooms are usually much more than the CL. Also, the Cardinal operates only 3 times a week while the Cl is daily.

Its no contest - take the Capitol Limited. The on time performance of the Capitol Limited seems to be a lot better and has a full dining car. We just traveled recently on the Capitol Limited and had an excellent experience.

1. Cap Limited is a quicker trip, but in your case the time to WAS has to be added.

2. Cap has better dining + lounge (usually)

3. slight edge to VL roomette when using the upper, it is a way better upper than SL because of roofline and windows

4. SL has luggage racks downstairs which may or may not matter, since WAS or Alexandria to Chicago would have checked baggage available

5. CL is 7 days a week, Card is 3

6. toilet/sink is a personal matter

7. pricing may favor CL most times, in your case factor in getting to WAS if using CL, shouldn't add much cost, you could wait in lounge in WAS

Thanks for the input - will check the scheduling of the arrivals as the time we would be leaving is very close to the same time either way, except for the every day vs. 3 day departures.. Don't mind the luggage downstairs .

DC Metro is also an option between Alexandria and Union Station and I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper (although you have to change from the Yellow Line or Blue Line to the Red Line). You also have way more frequent service and it's unreserved.

I've ridden both and although I'd rather have more train time on the Cardinal, the Capitol Ltd has a better experience in my view. Full dining car and nicer lounge car as said above. Plus I like the double-decker Superliners.

So, scheduling issues aside, if the Cardinal works for your dates here are my pros and cons.

Reasons to take the Cardinal:

1.The scenery. Particularly Eastbound is about the prettiest in the system.

2.Viewliner equipment. The Viewliner roomette is infinitely superior to its Superliner counterpart.

First-off, both berths are equally comfortable. On a Superliner, the upper is EXTREMELY claustrophobic, but on a Viewliner, there is plenty of headroom and even a window up there, so you won't have to fight over who gets a comfortable bed and who has to basically sleep in a coffin.

Secondly, you get an in-room toilet that you only have to share with your traveling companion. (Some people are for whatever reason more comfortable with the public restrooms on Superliners, but to me that seems like an intimacy issue if you can't poop around your family. I suppose some people are more conservative and prefer to hide their bodily functions, so if that's you, then consider this a disadvantage.) The toilet has that airplane toilet sucking action when it flushes, so I haven't ever found smell to be an issue.

3.Single Seat Ride. As you noted, the Cardinal will pick you up right in Alexandria.

Reasons to ride the Capitol Limited:

1.A shorter ride. Westbound, the Cap is basically dinner, sleep, breakfast and then you're in Chicago. Due to its long, southern route, the Cardinal comes to Alexandria at lunchtime, and still gets you to Chicago over an hour later, if it is on schedule. Because of its meandering route, however, the Cardinal is also more prone to delays. If you like train time for its own sake, maybe this is a reason to take the Cardinal.

2. The food. Since you are traveling sleeper, your meals are included in the price. Because the Cardinal lacks a full kitchen the meal selections are fewer in number and lower in quality. The Cross-Country Café on the Cap has a real kitchen downstairs, so you can get fresh eggs in the morning and steak at night. I would highly suggest visiting www.amtrakfood facts.com, where you can find pictures of the food served on various trains. That will demonstrate the abysmal quality of the offerings on the Cardinal.

3.The lounge. The beautiful views of the East panhandle of West Virginia and western Maryland on the first day on the Capitol Limited, can be enjoyed from a Sightseer Lounge, with floor to ceiling windows and great conversation. (Unlike most trains, the cafe is not downstairs, but in the same car as the diner.) Amtrak's single level lounges have only adequate windows and are just diner-style booths, rather than a "living room" setup.

4.The price. The Cardinal is almost invariably the most expensive sleeper upgrade in the entire Amtrak system. The Cap is usually the cheapest ride, not just from the DC area, but even from New York (you would have to take a regional).

For me the lower quality food on the Cardinal combined with a higher price is the deciding factor. I'm not into paying more for less. If the Cardinal ever got a real diner, I would probably be willing to pay more for the better scenery and more comfortable (to my tastes) roomette, but until then, I think the Capitol Limited is decidedly the better Alexandria to Chicago route, even if you gave to take VRE or Metro to Washington Union Station.

The Cardinal has not a good reputation in terms of on-time performance. That being said, the scenery through the New River Gorge is spectacular.

If you want railroad history, the Capitol Limited is your train, using tracks of the old B&O (the oldest section of operating railroad in the U.S.) and stopping at the oldest station still in use, Martinsburg, VA.

I'll chime in too:

Scenery, The Card.

Amenities: The Cap

No "real" lounge car on Card, just the regular crappy Amdinette.

Crews are are real crapshoot too. I've had good on both, and had crews from Hell on both.

My rule of thumb is, unless equipment gets an upgrade on Card, I've chosen Cap Last 10/11 trips to/from Chicago/Balt

And PERSONALLY I ***Detest*** sleeping with my head a mere few feet from the in-room toilet on the Viewliner.

I agree with most of what you said, but I have never slept with my head by the toilet, I've always had my feet at that end.
Nor have I had my head on that END of the bed, but it's STILL only four feet or so from commode-to-pillow

Personally I prefer the Cardinal of the two trains. The scenery is second to none. And I generally don't care about the food.

The Cardinal has not a good reputation in terms of on-time performance. That being said, the scenery through the New River Gorge is spectacular.

If you want railroad history, the Capitol Limited is your train, using tracks of the old B&O (the oldest section of operating railroad in the U.S.) and stopping at the oldest station still in use, Martinsburg, VA.
Actually, the station at Martinsburg is fairly new; but the old station is still intact & quite visible, just to the east. The history is interesting. In the early years, B&O built a station adjacent to a hotel, but the station burned to the ground shortly after construction. B&O moved station activities into the hotel lobby as a temporary measure, but never got around to building a new station, and the hotel lobby continued to serve as the Martinsburg station, well after the birth of Amtrak. Several years ago, a new station was built on the site of the old station, which had burned well over 100 years previously.

As you say, the history of the Capitol Limited's B&O route is quite complex and fascinating.

Tom

Everyone should ride the Cardinal ( Eastbound for the Best Scenery in Daylight)at least once and try to get a Low Bucket Room since most times the Buckets are up there just with the Lake Shore!

For regular LD Trips with Connections to other Trains, the Cap is the way to Roll!( and again, Eastbound has the Best Scenery in Daylight)

Once the Cardinal has a Real Diner and hopefully a Better Lounge Car/Cafe,the New Viewliners arrive,and the OTP can be improved, the Card will become a better option for regular LD trips between the Midwest and the East!!

Once the Cardinal has a Real Diner and hopefully a Better Lounge Car/Cafe,the New Viewliners arrive,and the OTP can be improved, the Card will become a better option for regular LD trips between the Midwest and the East!!
Obviously you'd have to make it daily first and how's that working out?
How's your Broadway Limited plans working out?

Can we please stop derailing every other thread over the Broadway Limited. I love the history of the Broadway, and I love a lot of things about it. But I'm so sick and tired of hearing about it

Speaking of what an above poster said, any reason(s) why the Cardinal has the most expensive cost among all longer Amtrak long distance trains to upgrade to sleeper? That's too bad to hear, as I'd long wanted to ride the Card for myself. Thought the most expensive to upgrade from coach to sleeper would be one of the more talked about trains like Empire Builder, but guess not.

And also any reason why Card only runs 3 days a week, vs. other lines that run 7 days a week? It'd be nice to someday do a Chicago to DC trip where one way I'd take the Cardinal, and go the other way back on the Capitol Limited(or vice versa in order), since I'd still never ridden either of those Amtrak lines. But it seems like from other comments that it might be better to take Cardinal east over going west, b/c of times when you'd see West Virginia and Virginia scenery better. Likewise, there probably are some portions going east you wouldn't see going west, since certain portions go through various places at night instead of day if you're going west(vs. east).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions and ideas. I've booked AlX - Chic on the Capitol Limited (spleeper) will be a layover in Washington DC of several hours which should give us time to walk somewhere and look around.

CHI - ALX - The Cardinal sounds great as far as scenery, but unless I leave a day prior to when I planned, the Capitol L. is the only way to go. I can't figure out why the Monday sleeper fare for Cap. L) is so much more that Tuesday (even looking at AMSNAG, I'm toying with going coach as the only meals I'll get with sleeper are breakfast and lunch (would probably be leaving too late for dinner).

Thanks again for all the information

Im looking at traveling either the Cardinal or Capitol in March '18, is it safe to assume that by then the VL2 diners and sleepers will be in service on the Cardinal. I'm very much wanting to do this route east bound in Roomette but there is absolutely no way I am sleeping in the same room as a toilet

If Boardman couldn't get them into service before his retirement, I wouldn't make any assumptions in that regard.

But at the moment I'm making my first visit to the DC Acela Lounge and the AC isn't working right, so I'm particularly grumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back