Which is the better/ faster choice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi,

Ok, I know it's not strictly an Amtrak question, but I probably neeed to combine a car hire with an Amtrak train trip..and you folks are my "All Things American" advisors

I simply want to know which hire car is considered better, a Crysler Sebring Convertible, or a Ford Mustang Convertible?

Thanks,

Ed :cool:

Neither - if in North Dakota in January!
laugh.gif

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!
mosking.gif
)

Hi,

Ok, I know it's not strictly an Amtrak question, but I probably neeed to combine a car hire with an Amtrak train trip..and you folks are my "All Things American" advisors

I simply want to know which hire car is considered better, a Crysler Sebring Convertible, or a Ford Mustang Convertible?

Thanks,

No contest, take the Stang! Chryslers are for 70-80 year old retirees in Florida, Mustangs are for cool cruising on the avenue! :cool: (BTW-you only need the six cylinder model, the V-8 is a gas hog and not that much faster!) As Dave mentioned, hope you are planning to be driving in the Spring or Fall, few places here except California and the NW where its not too hot in the summer for convertibles!) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mustang is a rear wheel drive sports car.

Sebring is based off a saloon car and the just removed the top.

Either one would be fine for a rental, but if I had to own one it would be the Mustang.

Ok, I know it's not strictly an Amtrak question, but I probably neeed to combine a car hire with an Amtrak train trip..and you folks are my "All Things American" advisors I simply want to know which hire car is considered better, a Crysler Sebring Convertible, or a Ford Mustang Convertible?
I'm not aware of any American car rental services that...

1. Rent convertibles for a reasonable price. Typically it's 2x-3x the price of any similarly sized non-convertible.

2. Guarantee a specific make or model of "convertible" at any price. You're at the mercy of whatever they give you unless you wait until pickup to make your decision as to who you'll hire from.

For these reasons and others (mileage) I have never paid the convertible rate and have only rented convertibles when they ran out of everything else and gave one to me at the standard non-convertible rate.

*I've rented from Budget, Dollar, Alamo, Advantage, National, Thrifty, Avis, Hertz, etc. so I might actually know what I'm talking about here. ;)

Gosh Daxomni,

It's not just Amtrak that you are so negative about... That's a sort of relief in some ways...!

I rented a Mustang Convertible in Las Vegas a few months back, and toured to the Grand Canyon, etc.

Nothing screams "TOURIST" in S Florida louder than a Sebring convertible!

Yeah, I guess.. Nothing screams "mid life crisis" more than me wanting a sports car, also !

We do have big engined cars here in Europe, some Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc are quite large.. but European cars tend to go faster with smaller engines, just as well with gas at $7 a gallon!

If you added up all the trillions we spend on military operations in the Middle East we're paying far more than $7 per gallon. We just don't realize it because it comes from our income tax instead of our petrol tax.

Hi,

Thanks,

I vote for this one ---

BiStateVWShow2010.jpg

:hi: Nice Beetle! :) Nice pic! :) Too bad they dont rent these, I had one back in the 70s, they are considered chic cars now but like all first loves are better remembered than having to maintain!

(ie they were cheap to buy and operate, remember 1 penny a mile commercials, but now parts are pricey and these cars are bringing top dollar!)

Thanks! It's my first love (after my wife, kids and grandkids), followed VERY closely by rail travel!

If you added up all the trillions we spend on military operations in the Middle East we're paying far more than $7 per gallon. We just don't realize it because it comes from our income tax instead of our petrol tax.
Well put, very well put. Although I'm sure the ultra-right-wingers will paint it in a much different picture.........

There is an Australian Route 66 tour group that comes through here at least twice a year. They only rent Mustang convertibles. Pretty impressive sight seeing 15-20 Mustangs in the middle of farm country.

:hi: Nice Beetle! :) Nice pic! :) Too bad they dont rent these, I had one back in the 70s, they are considered chic cars now but like all first loves are better remembered than having to maintain!

(ie they were cheap to buy and operate, remember 1 penny a mile commercials, but now parts are pricey and these cars are bringing top dollar!)
I do have 1972 Super Beetle that we got from the late great-aunt. It was a very sweaty experience that I drove from CA to NM after the car was sitting in the garage for at least 5 years!

Definitely go with the Mustang....not many more faster convertibles out here in the American road, and it will turn heads wherever you go....well, maybe not so much in Southern California...lol. But yea, Mustang is the ride to go for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back