Which route should i take?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Route?

• Coast starlight

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Empire builder

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Starlight/California Zephyr

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificStarlight

Train Attendant
Over spring break, I have the choice of going to either, SEA-CHI on the Builder. SEA-SAC-CHI on the starlight/zephyr

or SEA-LAX On the starlight in sleeper class. I have used the sleeper before, but only for the day. If i dont go to LAX on the starlight, ill be using coach. So AU, which one should I do?

My vote is:

1) For anything involving the PPC; and

2) Anything involving the Zephyr.

In all fairness, if you're not doing rail the whole way and money is an issue, I would suggest considering SEA-EMY-DEN and looking into a sleeper on the Starlight. If you've got AGR points (and/or can afford to spring for the points to make the trip happen), it has the advantage of being a one-zone.

After that, my choice would be SEA-LAX from what I understand of the coast line there.

Buy a rail pass and do all of 'em.....
cool.gif

Over spring break, I have the choice of going to either, SEA-CHI on the Builder. SEA-SAC-CHI on the starlight/zephyr

or SEA-LAX On the starlight in sleeper class. I have used the sleeper before, but only for the day. If i dont go to LAX on the starlight, ill be using coach. So AU, which one should I do?
I voted for the CS, because you said you would get to do that in sleeper. I would much rather do a one night trip in sleeper with the PPC over a two night trip in coach. But if your priority is the most amount of time on the train, you might have a different opinion.

I loved the wine tasting on the CS - it was really nice. But IIRC, you aren't old enough for the wine tasting so that's a moot point.

The view of the ocean south of EMY is the best part of the Coast Starlight, IMO. Watching the sun starting to set over the ocean from the diner, spotting the occasional surfers as you get closer to LAX; it's great. You'll only get that if you travel south of EMY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd agree with Amamba. I'd much rather spend take the Coast Starlight in sleeper than the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr in coach. On the other hand, I'm middle-aged and crochety. I dislike traveling in coach between New York and Washington.

If you're young and spry and can sleep in coach and put up with people in the sightseer lounge car, that's what you should do. I think the mountain and desert scenery on the California Zephyr is vastly better than what you'll see on the Coast Starlight.

If you plan to fly one way and take the train the other, I'd fly to Denver and go DEN-MTZ-SEA. You'll get more mountains in daylight that way, plus you get the flying over with right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back