Which San Diego station to choose?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
Hello all--

I'm coming in from LA on the Pacific Surfliner for the Huskers bowl game at Qualcomm Stadium. Amtrak lists 3 stops in San Diego: Old Town (OLT), Sorrento Valley (SRB), and San Diego itself (SAN).

Could anyone familiar with these San Diego stops make a recommendation? There's about a 20 minute difference between the 3 stations, and I want to pick the one with closest proximity (or most convenient access) to area hotels, family-friendly attractions, and Qualcomm.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hello all--

I'm coming in from LA on the Pacific Surfliner for the Huskers bowl game at Qualcomm Stadium. Amtrak lists 3 stops in San Diego: Old Town (OLT), Sorrento Valley (SRB), and San Diego itself (SAN).

Could anyone familiar with these San Diego stops make a recommendation? There's about a 20 minute difference between the 3 stations, and I want to pick the one with closest proximity (or most convenient access) to area hotels, family-friendly attractions, and Qualcomm.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Town is a limited stop station. Sorento Valley is a Coaster station with only joint trains stop. Your best bet is Downtown San Diego station. Qualcomm is out away on its own, so really hard to group them all together. Your going to have to take the trolley to Qualcomm.

The trolly stops right at the main station - SAN!
The same trolley that you can pick up at the main downtown San Diego station also stops at the Old Town station, and is in fact the closer stop to Qualcomm. However, keep in mind only 10 of the 12 Surfliner runs down to SAN stop at Old Town first. If you get off at Old Town, you save the additional 8 mins on Amtrak plus probably around 15 mins backtracking on the trolley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

Which Hotel, Since the Trolley gets you to Qualicom i would use the Amtrak station closes to your Hotel.

Buy the ticket to San Diego. You can board at any station northbound since tickets on the train are unreserved, so they won't cancel if you happen to board at a later station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back