Which side will our room be on?

• Thread starter Guest_2vermonters_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_2vermonters_*

Hi –

On this forum, I’ve read a number of recommendations about which side of the train to travel on for the best views on certain trip legs. My wife and I just made reservations for Superliner Roomette #8 on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland, then back from Seattle to Chicago. The reservation agent said there was no way to tell which way the car will be facing that day, so she didn’t know which side Roomette 8 would be on.

Is there a way to find out?

Thanks!

The agent was correct. I've been told that it has to do with the way they prepare the trains for the trip.

The agent was correct. I've been told that it has to do with the way they prepare the trains for the trip.
I've always found the roomettes are at the diner end of the sleeper and the bedrooms further forward. Unless you're on the PDX car which faces the opposite way (to put the roomettes nearest the diner).

I've always found the roomettes are at the diner end of the sleeper and the bedrooms further forward. Unless you're on the PDX car which faces the opposite way (to put the roomettes nearest the diner).
This website may help http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html (scroll down & look at the superliner upper level)

If what Konrad says is correct, and based on the route map, then your outbound roomette #8 to Seattle should be facing south, then on return would be north. If that's not right, someone correct me. You can always go to the sightseer car too.

Sunchaser

And I've always found the roomettes to be away from the diner and toward the engines. You just can never tell till you board the train.

And I've always found the roomettes to be away from the diner and toward the engines. You just can never tell till you board the train.
That's the way I have found it to be. Don't recall seeing a sleeper with the roomettes nearer the diner.

You never can tell! :blink:

Last October, I was on the EB (I think) that had 3 sleepers. (If it was the EB, those 3 were the SEA section only, not including the PDX sleeper.) Of those 3 sleepers, 1 has the roomettes first, the other 2 had the bedrooms first! :rolleyes:

That's the way I have found it to be. Don't recall seeing a sleeper with the roomettes nearer the diner.
Rode the Portland sleeper last year and, although one can become disoriented on a train, it's pretty hard to get confused when you're in Bedroom A and the view out of the back of is right outside your door. Bounced and swayed all the way to Chicago.

And the poster is going to have a long walk to the diner (and probably going to have to carry proof of their 'sleeper' status to satisfy the diner staff).

Aloha

Well there is on thing sure your sleeper WILL be on the Inside of the car! :rolleyes: Please dont shoot me for that. :huh:

Eric

Aloha
Well there is on thing sure your sleeper WILL be on the Inside of the car! :rolleyes: Please dont shoot me for that. :huh:

Eric
200318819-001.jpg
:p

Hey all -

Thanks for the all the reports and theories! I'm sure we'll enjoy the trip no matter what. And we take comfort in the assurance that the roomette will be on the dry, warm side of the traincar wall. ;)

Cheers!

Hey all -
Thanks for the all the reports and theories! I'm sure we'll enjoy the trip no matter what. And we take comfort in the assurance that the roomette will be on the dry, warm side of the traincar wall. ;)

Cheers!
I don't recollect anyone complaining that they were on the wrong side of the train, so through logical deduction you must be on the right side of the car! :unsure:

If you find yourself on "the wrong side", just go to the Sightseer (or PPC on the CS) and you can be on "the right side" or "the wrong side" :D
Quite true but as far as I am concerned there is no wrong side of the train I am on. There may be a wrong side of the track, but as the_traveler just said we can see both.

Counting down to my trip, departing my house 7 days from today, plus 1 week until the Texas Eagle

Aloha

Eric

If you find yourself on "the wrong side", just go to the Sightseer (or PPC on the CS) and you can be on "the right side" or "the wrong side" :D
Quite true but as far as I am concerned there is no wrong side of the train I am on. There may be a wrong side of the track, but as the_traveler just said we can see both.

Counting down to my trip, departing my house 7 days from today, plus 1 week until the Texas Eagle

Aloha

Eric
I guess the only wrong side of the train is outside the train while it goes off in the distance :lol:

Aloha

Eric
I'm counting down also. 3 weeks until I'm off on a 15 day adventure. :rolleyes: I have bedroom C on the CZ I have heard that it is a good room to be in. ;) This is my first bedroom on a LD train. I had the points and said hey use it if it is what you want. And I upgraded as soon as I saw that a bedroom was available on the day I will be traveling. I do however downsize on the way back out of LAX to a roomette. But I'm good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back