Which station has the best restrooms?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick as many as you like

• New York Penn Station

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington, DC Union Station

• Philadelphia 30th Street Station

• Chicago Union Station

• Newark, NJ Penn Station

• Los Angeles, CA Union Station

• Trenton, NJ

• Boston South Station

• Baltimore Penn Station

• Princeton Junction, NJ

• Sacramento, CA

• San Diego, CA

• Wilmington, DE

• Albany-Rensselaer, NY

• New Haven, CT

• Seattle, WA

• BWI Airport, MD

• Providence, RI

• Emeryville, CA

• Other (Please Identify with a Post)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
I used the Baltimore Penn Station restroom this morning before catching my train down to DC and had forgotten just how bad it is; that place probably hasn't seen an overhaul since the 80's!

So that got me to thinking, which stations have the best restrooms? Here are the rules:

1). Can't be a Club Acela, Metropolitan Lounge, or First Class lounge (i.e. it has to be accessible to a coach passenger)

2). Can be any station in the Amtrak system, Amtrak-owned or otherwise, but has to be accessible to Amtrak patrons.

3). Must be a station Amtrak normally serves (for example, Grand Central won't qualify, despite the temporary service there recently)

4). While I'm listing Amtrak's top 20 stations (in terms of patronage), feel free to write in your own vote.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the criteria?

• Softest toilet paper?
  • Most complete 1st flush?
  • No waiting?
  • Auto flush?
  • Cleanest?
  • Paper towels vs. hot air?
  • Background muzak?
  • Room deodorizing?
  • Train motif?

Well this one is tought 30th streets restrooms aren't to bad its just down that creepy hallway with the lone camera I was just thinking who's watching that what if something happens?

New Haven is a nice station the bathroom is a little small though at least when I was there with an OTOL fest and 14 people were trying to use it at once.

New York Penn Station is clean I guess its just always crowded in there and a ton of volume. The layout is also stupid with the sinks where people waiting to go are causes a slow down.

I was okay with the restrooms in Boston South Station they were not to crowded and I was able to get some hot water so thats why I voted for that one.

I think DC has more then one set of public restrooms so not sure.

The oldest restroom I encountered was Rhinecliff-Kingston that whole buliding hasn't seen anything new since the early 70s.

Just my 2 cents on some Amtrak station restrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, this is hard one. LAX doesn't get my vote. It's way too small for the size and number of passengers it serves. You go into this small little door and it always crowded inside, especially when you have luggage.

I have always been happy with my local station, Clemson. Its only a one hole, but only about half a dozen folks get on here at a time. Also since there is only one for everyone it is wheelchair accessible so it is very big. Hardly ever a line and always clean.

As for stations that actually see more than a handfull of people I like Portland, ME and Rutland, VT mainly because I don't remember the restrooms. If I actually remember what the restrooms were like they are either super nice or bad and the public ones at train stations are never going to be memorable on the super nice side.

In my experience, the worst one was San Bernardino before the major renovation. It was a dump, esp. with bathroom!

The next one would be San Diego- if you need bathroom, get a key from Amtrak desk! I understand that this station is in middle of major tourist area.

I have no thoughts of my own so I will use my sister's memory. She used to travel from Chattanooga to Tuscaloosa, ALa., to attend the Univ of Alabama. This was in the 50's.This was the Southern Railroad.

She and I had some reason to drive through Tuscaloosa in the early 90's. We got out and went in the tiny Amtrak Station. She did remark that the restroom and everything else was much nicer and cleaner than in her old school days She noted that furnishings had not changed, that she could remember. Just that it was cleaner.

So that is her memory, I cannot swear to it mself.And of course it is a very small station.

You should see the restrooms at NYP at 5am :rolleyes: . I don't really like to use public restrooms, so I can't really say which ones are the best.

cpamtfan-Peter

I used the Baltimore Penn Station restroom this morning before catching my train down to DC and had forgotten just how bad it is; that place probably hasn't seen an overhaul since the 80's!
So that got me to thinking, which stations have the best restrooms? Here are the rules:

1). Can't be a Club Acela, Metropolitan Lounge, or First Class lounge (i.e. it has to be accessible to a coach passenger)

2). Can be any station in the Amtrak system, Amtrak-owned or otherwise, but has to be accessible to Amtrak patrons.

3). Must be a station Amtrak normally serves (for example, Grand Central won't qualify, despite the temporary service there recently)

4). While I'm listing Amtrak's top 20 stations (in terms of patronage), feel free to write in your own vote.

Rafi
We were in the Baltimore station last week. Those restrooms sure do need a refurb!

Kansas City Union Station has got my vote. Plenty of available space, no waiting, nice layout. A little bit of a walk from the main waiting room though.

The oldest restroom I encountered was Rhinecliff-Kingston that whole buliding hasn't seen anything new since the early 70s.
Wow, you got me thinking of Poughkeepsie's station bathrooms. I haven't been there in like 15+ years. They were bad then (very old, falling apart). I wonder if they just have left to deteriorate since?

Gee, is that covered walkway out back, the one that runs parallel to the platforms, but elevated, is still standing? I remember it was about to fall down, and was closed to pedestians, even back then.

Or is Poughkeepsie considered MetroNorth, and not Amtrak?

Hmm, this is hard one. LAX doesn't get my vote. It's way too small for the size and number of passengers it serves. You go into this small little door and it always crowded inside, especially when you have luggage.
The better restrooms are at the other end of the Tunnel, underneath the Bus Terminal. Clean and uncrowded, because nobody knows they're there!

Better than any on the List is my home station, Martinez California. They recently switched to a policy of access by token on request.

Wow, you got me thinking of Poughkeepsie's station bathrooms. I haven't been there in like 15+ years. They were bad then (very old, falling apart). I wonder if they just have left to deteriorate since?

Gee, is that covered walkway out back, the one that runs parallel to the platforms, but elevated, is still standing? I remember it was about to fall down, and was closed to pedestians, even back then.

Or is Poughkeepsie considered MetroNorth, and not Amtrak?

Its still there I didn't walk on it but you could have. It wasn't to bad a place just has been passed by the waiting area was fine for the 40 minutes I was waiting between the Ethan Allen Express and Lake Shore Limited for a little short turn.

Rafi
Boston's South Station gets my vote. We've found this station pretty comfortable in general. Any one else like it or not?

Better than any on the List is my home station, Martinez California. They recently switched to a policy of access by token on request.
That's a relief. MTZ was becoming a hangout for people with nothing better to do but take up space and make a lot of noise.

Kansas City Union Station has got my vote. Plenty of available space, no waiting, nice layout. A little bit of a walk from the main waiting room though.

DITTO

I used them once - don't really remember them - thats a good thing.

Kirkwood is also OK,, but so few folks use it......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back