Who travels with what

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I am trying to prove that some people (they don't want their names included) travel with WAAY too much luggage. My usual "load out" is:

backpack with clothes, toiletries bag and maybe extra shoes.

backpack/computer bag with laptop, radio scanner (BC75XLT by Uniden), a deck of cards, laptop charger, mouse, over ear wireless headphones, extra batteries and charger (for scanner), flashlight(s), souvenirs (if any), some snacks, camera, and a water bottle.

what do YOU pack for a train trip?

Here are the two bags I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally travel with a mid-sized wheelie suitcase and a backpack that will fit inside the suitcase if needed but that I normally keep separate so as to access the stuff I need most more quickly.

As most of my LD train trips are part of some larger vacation, I can't be too light on clothes and things, especially if I have to anticipate different types of weather or am visiting climatically different places.

I don't buy many souvenirs any more as my home is alraedy way too cluttered with stuff I don't need. But sometimes I buy small presents for friends and family. My best friend always wants fridge magnets and so that's an easy one as most places have them in some form or other and they don't require much space in my luggage. When I visit places like railroad museums I sometimes buy myself books. I also occasionally pick up random items in antique shops.

I always travel with my camera and my iPad (both ancient and looking increasingly battered, which has the added advantage they're less likely to get stolen) and sometimes I have a backup camera. Otherwise I don't have much in the way of electronic equipment.

I travel with a 22" roller bag and a day pack. My netbook (10" laptop with full keyboard, because I write) and camera are in the day pack, along with wallet, phone, water, snacks, and any outerwear I'm not wearing at the time. All the rest of my clothing is in the roller bag. If it's winter and the trip is more than a few days, either the roller bag or the day pack would go up one size to carry the extra bulk of warm clothing. I usually put a small cloth grocery bag (love my ChicoBag!) in the backpack, because it comes in handy from time to time.

The large luggage gets checked.

For in my accommodations, I bring an "overnight" suitcase (clothes, toiletries), a backpack for the kids (games, DVD's, snacks, etc), and a portable DVD player (kind of getting obsolete now).

22" rollaboard and a smaller equipment bag for laptop, camera, noise canceling headphone etc. Sometimes I have a very small backpack in addition that can fit in the rollaboard if need be. Usually used separately while traveling by plane to keep a few things close at hand. Not used separately on trains. I do not check any baggage on trains. I may check in the rollaboard on planes. Due to various status with airlines and credit card companies, I do not have to pay any check in fees on any airlines that I travel on. So i can always check in upto two bags without charge on any of the major US airlines. But then again, there are only two airlines that I ever fly on in the US.

Never more than I can carry on a plane without a charge. Usually a small & light wheeled bag and either a small daypack or my shoulder bag.

Medium sized suitcase that I stow in the rack downstairs. "Toy bag" daypack with camera, scanner, Altamont Press timetable(s), tablet, kindle, maybe books, MP3 player, headphones, and a power strip that I bring with me into the room. Plus my CPAP bag.

For an overnight-or-longer trip in a roomette: one carry-on-sized roller bag, a soft-sided cooler like this, and my "purse" (a tote bag).

Roller bag and cooler fit nicely in the place used for stepping up to the upper bunk in a Superliner. Off the train, the cooler stacks on top of the roller bag, so one hand will roll both together. Tote bag hangs on the roomette wall. If I'm traveling with my husband in one roomette, the roller bag stays downstairs on the luggage rack, and I'll put my overnight necessities in the tote bag.

We like to sample local beers in our travels, so the cooler holds some of those, and a small bottle of real milk for tea or coffee. When we're off the train, it's used for local foods....

I have an Osprey Porter 30. It's a great bag because it can be worn as a backpack, carried as a suitcase or strung with a shoulder strap. Very versatile and meets airline requirements when needed.

I usually carry/wear three changes of clothes no matter the length of the trip. One to wear, one to hand wash, one drying. I have my make up bag with toiletries-hairbrush-travel curling iron, a pair of socks and a change of sandals. Extras are my kindle, phone charger, sunscreen spray, two band aids, playing cards, dice, notecards for thanking hosts and a few postcard stamps. Exofficio panties are great (if that's not too much information!) and a smart pair of black capris can cover a couple weeks just about anywhere in the summer.

We have found that packing light affords us different opportunities. We have gotten into town a little late and just brought our bags along with us to baseball games, trolley rides, museums... and never had a problem. They have been searched by security at times but no big deal. My husband is always grateful how light I pack ;)

One a two day trip I will carry one wheeled 24 " duffel bag, two changes of underwear, two shirts a pair of dress pants,PJ's and personal items, a small 11'5" netbook and a compact cooler. A phone charger,duct tape, and a small sheet of bubble wrap.

I am trying to prove that some people (they don't want their names included) travel with WAAY too much luggage. My usual "load out" is:

backpack/computer bag with laptop, radio scanner (BC75XLT by Uniden), a deck of cards, laptop charger, mouse, over ear wireless headphones, extra batteries and charger (for scanner), flashlight(s), souvenirs (if any), some snacks, camera, and a water bottle.

For what kind of trip? Is this a day trip? Is it a business trip? A "working" vacation?

How can you "prove" that someone travels with way too much anything? The entire premise is flawed since it is purely subjective.

For what kind of trip? Is this a day trip? Is it a business trip? A "working" vacation?

How can you "prove" that someone travels with way too much anything? The entire premise is flawed since it is purely subjective.
Who I am talking about takes a curling Iron camping, or three MASSIVE bags for a two day buisness trip MSP-CHI by stupid plane

Who I am talking about takes a curling Iron camping, or three MASSIVE bags for a two day buisness trip MSP-CHI by stupid plane
Hmm? Sister or mother. Suspect mother since he doesn't want to "name names".

The way I pack for business trips is wildly different from the way I pack for camping which is wildly different from the way I pack for a vacation.

So, I'm not sure how to answer this.

Well, I can't comment on the curling iron but I can see three massive bags for a two day business trip.

Will there be a formal dinner? After party events? Does the hotel have a pool? Does the hotel have a gym? Is it hot at night and cold in the day? Is there a 50% chance of rain? Is it hot during the day and cool at night? Will you hang indoors or outdoors? What are your business supplies. Where are you headed after the trip?

If you're a snazzy dresser, let's not even get into shoes, toiletries and grooming supplies. That can be a bag on its on.

When you get older, enter the professional world and have to start doing EVERYTHING for yourself, you'll learn to appreciate their motto:

Boy-Scouts.png

What business of yours is it to judge what other people travel with? You take what you feel you need. They take what they feel they need.

Same with the "stupid plane" comment. Who exactly do you think you are judging what travel mode people use? Maybe they prefer a plane. Maybe the plane works better for their schedule?

It's a good thing my 13 year old doesn't have your attitude, he'd find his computer privileges revoked pretty quickly.

I travel with my wife. Sometimes with my mistress. Once with both but now I can't get the knives out of my back.

Did they travel light? It could be worse. You could have traveled with a relative of the OP. Apparently, said relative carries a curling iron much to his chagrin. Knives would be the least of your worries. :p

My Hubby doesn't care what I travel with, as long as I can tote it.

And I agree with other posters: what I take on an Amtrak trip to visit relatives is completely different than what I take on camping (or other outdoors trips), or business trips.

Holiday, getaway, vacation, trainer, trainee, seminar, convention, or conference? Intercity, intrastate, interstate, international, or intercontinental? Beaches, forests, rivers, lakes, mountains, deserts, jungles, or cities? Train, plane, automobile, bus, or boat? Summer, fall, winter, or spring? I could go on and on but hopefully you get the idea.

My master packing list contains 170 individual items, but as you can imagine it's virtually impossible for me to need all of that on any single trip. Usually I can fit whatever I need in a single roll-a-board and laptop bag no matter where I'm going or for how long. The only exceptions I can think of involved carrying extra luggage on behalf of work, family, or friends.

My Hubby doesn't care what I travel with, as long as I can tote it.
You really hit the nail on the head and I couldn't agree more. I don't care what other folks bring so long as they are able to carry and stow their belongings without impacting anyone else. The only time I notice what other people are carrying is when they put the breaks on everyone else as they fumble around and prompt for assistance with exaggerated helplessness. Their lack of planning isn't our problem. If you can walk on your own two feet with the rest of us it's time to act like a functioning adult and plan accordingly.

Never more than I can carry on a plane without a charge. Always a small and light Samsonite (with wheels) and my shoulder bag for my travel diary, chargers, and camera. I travel light. Over the years I've perfected a "Do-not-forget-list" which has always been very helpful.

Their lack of planning isn't our problem. If you can walk on your own two feet with the rest of us it's time to act like a functioning adult and plan accordingly.
I would like this printed on every baggage policy out there.

I usually take more than I need and what won't fit in my space I utilize others until I'm comfortable. This notion that one should travel light and take the risk of forgetting something that may make the trip more memorable is not the way I roll.

I have noticed on more than one occasion fellow travelers with their nose out of joint, probably because they have forgotten something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back