Why 2 vs. three locos?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Why, do sometimes, i see, an Amtrak train running with two P-42s one day, and then the next day, same train, identical consist, see it running with 1 or three?

What are their reasons for using a different number of engines whe it is not necessary?

I hope my question isn't too confusing.

As bmlock said it's possible that one of the units is "Deadhaeding" between shops (although it's usually put on line if possible so that it's not dead weight). It's also possible that it is being shuttled to be put in position for a special move, or to replace standby power at another location. The last circumstance I can think of is it just came out of heavy service and is being teamed up with two engines known to be good so that if a failure occurs there are still the minimum number of motors needed to move the train (similar occurances occur on the NEC after an engine is remanufactured, it will be tramed up with another engine known to function well).

Def. agree. The California Zephyr is a great example. During the winter it runs with 3 ponys but during the summer it is more common to find it running with 2.

...and tomorrow's arriving Empire Builder, train 8(23), apparently has five engines on it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it, but here's to hoping.

Back