Why do YOU take Amtrak for LD trips...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

Train Attendant
I am taking Amtrak to SoCal this time because I have decided that I am officially terrified of flying! No more with the anxiety, high blood pressure, cold sweats, fast breathing, and mass consumption of alcohol - which only exacerbates previously mentioned symptoms!! I like my body as close to the ground as possible!

I take it for the opportunity to meet other passengers. Sure on a plane, you may talk to the person in Seat 22-B if you're in 22-A. However, it is very unlikely that you will talk with the people in 27-F, 15-C and especially 2-D. On a train you can - and probably will!

But the main reason I take a train is that it is part of the vacation! And I don't have to get to the station 3 hours before to check in, an hour to go thru "security", sit at the gate for an hour, sit on the plane for an hour even before it leaves the ground, etc...

Not that I do it all the time, but once as I was parking the car, the train arrived!
ohmy.gif
I still made the train!
smile.gif
Try to do that at O'Hare or JFK!
laugh.gif

I simply enjoy the scenery, the people I meet, and the "traveling thru history" aspect of the train. There is a certain appeal to me about the train and the equipment itself, but it's more the people I meet and countryside I pass by that "hooks" me. I love eating breakfast (any meal, but breakfast is my fav) in the diner, while the train is moving. I like enjoying a bottle of vino in my room, with a good book at night. I enjoy the respite from the "rush-rush", hurry-up, email, instant message, always-connected world we now live in.

But as I think while I type this, I think the thing I like the most is my imagination of "what happened in XXX spot years and years ago" the very spot, town, station, desert, etc., that I am traveling on/thru/over/under at the moment. Where does that old branch line go? When was that turnout cut out, and why? Will that plant ever ship by rail again? What did that station look like when 100 X more people visited it each day? What did this line look like with two mains, and two secondary's in full swing? How can people live like that? Will that car/truck/motorcycle stop? How did that building get constructed? Why is that highway where it is? You get the idea.

It's a bonus when you get pampered (as on Via Rail, and with a select few Amtrak employees) 'cause then you feel like a big-shot to boot!

Now, add to the fact that you don't have to take off your shoes, get patted down, each crap food, arrive in the city-center, and have to arrive two hours early at the "station", and there you have it.

I prefer train travel over airplane or car travel mainly because it

is more relaxing and more scenic. One must have the time to travel,

but with that in mind, train travel is far more comfortable than air

travel. From the boarding procedure (no full body x-rays, no lines)

to wider seats and more legroom, the train is my first choice.

Taking Amtrak LD gives me the ability to see the country as I travel through it. I also get to meet plenty of interesting people and find train travel a very relaxing experience. I'm also be able to be productive enroute - I can work from the train (provided I have at least intermittent internet access). Taking Amtrak LD allows the trip to become part of the vacation.

I assume that I take Amtrak LD for many of the same reasons that people drive across the country (which I can't understand why anyone would want to do, but that's me!). I also feel the need to point out that while many take Amtrak as a result of a desire to not fly, I don't. Having flown Cessnas for a brief while and having worked in the airline industry during my college years, I am a supremely comfortable flier. I recall that once, I was sitting in the last row of a JetBlue flight, watching a program on the breakup of TWA Flight 800 on the National Geographic Channel. At one point I looked forward and realized that I was the only one on the plane comfortable enough to watch it while in flight! I don't start to worry about my safety until I get in a car - a far more dangerous means of transportation!

I also have never had a problem with the TSA, though some of their policies make air travel a real hassle (think liquids). But it should be noted that I almost exclusively fly JetBlue, so I tend not to encounter a lot of the hassles that one encounters with the legacy carriers or ultra-discounters. Having to put up with their hassles, I'd probably give up on flying most of the time.

The one reason I don't take Amtrak LD more often is that it's a tremendous hassle to make connections to LD trains from where I live. There's a well served airport 10 minutes away, but I can only connect to the Lake Shore during the summer by taking the ferry across the lake to the Adirondack. The Vermonter simply doesn't connect to anything, save the eastbound Lake Shore to Boston (nearly useless) and I believe the last Keystone.

Once I have to fly somewhere or overnight to take an LD train, the convenience factor drops dramatically.

I take it for the opportunity to meet other passengers. Sure on a plane, you may talk to the person in Seat 22-B if you're in 22-A. However, it is very unlikely that you will talk with the people in 27-F, 15-C and especially 2-D. On a train you can - and probably will!

But the main reason I take a train is that it is part of the vacation! And I don't have to get to the station 3 hours before to check in, an hour to go thru "security", sit at the gate for an hour, sit on the plane for an hour even before it leaves the ground, etc...

Not that I do it all the time, but once as I was parking the car, the train arrived!
ohmy.gif
I still made the train!
smile.gif
Try to do that at O'Hare or JFK!
laugh.gif
Haha! All good reasons as well. I am also looking forward to enjoying the train experience with my son as part of the vacation.

Getting to small town America is a big reason for me. I have a friend in Wisconsin Dells that I go see fairly often, and getting there by LD train is actually easier than flying. Otherwise I have to fly to Madison, then rent a car. Or just fly to Milwaukee and catch the Empire Builder. When I lived in Grand Forks, getting there by train was much cheaper than flying. Many of my college buddies did the same despite the odd hours of serving GFK.

I agree with the previous posters on their reasons for taking the Train! Id say that overall the real reason most people are fascinated by Trains (show me a kid that doesnt like Trains and Ill show you a kid thats not going to be a very happy adult!)is the Romance of the Tails, the Freedom to roll out heading for a different places, meet new faces and the possibility of Adventures unimagined! Most of the Train Songs and the old Movies with Trains are popular for these reasons, I especially think of "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash, think that pretty well sums it up! :) :) :)

BTW-one of our posters above is an airline pilot and he loves flying, as do I, just not the way the current Gulags are run at our Airports by the TSA and the Cattle Car conditions on the planes! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
... I am officially terrified of flying! No more with the anxiety, high blood pressure, cold sweats, fast breathing, ...
Those pretty much are my reasons too.

Though I will add that the very last time I flew was with my kid who was around 2 or 3. The TSA pulled me out of line to bring me to a private room for "random additional screening" (I guess Italians are their "list" :giggle: ).

I was required to leave my kid behind, to wander unattended in the terminal.

Never again. :angry2:

Those pretty much are my reasons too.

Though I will add that the very last time I flew was with my kid who was around 2 or 3. The TSA pulled me out of line to bring me to a private room for "random additional screening" (I guess Italians are their "list" :giggle: ).

I was required to leave my kid behind, to wander unattended in the terminal.

Never again. :angry2:
WTH? That is unimaginable!! I have a 5 year old and I would never let that happen.

One contrast of air travel versus train travel amused me the other day while I waited at a fairly small station for #1 to arrive. Out on the platform stood the baggage cart with about 15 to 20 suitcases, bags, and boxes just sitting there by themselves, with NOBODY around. I started to laugh when I thought about the endless announcements we all hear at the airports about not leaving your baggage unattended, and reporting any baggage you see that is left unattended.

For six months of the year, I work a high stress job on the east coast. I always fly to the location. To be honest, the stress starts at the airport. Once landing in JFK, it is 2 trains to the bus station and 2 buses to location. I am drained when the job is over, it is 24/7. I always take a train home to Eugene Oregon. This year it is the Amtrak Crescent to NOL, 3 days there and the Sunset/Coast Starlight back home. I get a sleeper to re-condition myself on the trip home.

I do not take communication devices or laptops or excess baggage or any crap, maybe a book and I veg out on train and stayed bored, think good thoughts and just enjoy the ride. I just really take some smelly stuff, clothes and myself. I do interact with other passengers and observe cocktail hour. I ship clothes and electronics, much cheaper than lugging it through stations and security. The train is a great way to unwind and chill out.

I am sorry about your fear of flying, Renee, I have used airplanes since my kid days and fear no fear. I understand your situation, however. My longest trip was 11 hours non-stop and it was a great flight. We wish you well on your trip through California.

I enjoy the "Freedom" that a person gets on the train.. Able to move around, visit people in the lounge car, sit back and enjoy the country go by, and makes you wonder what life is like in this small town you go though.

I work retail, and do deal with stress with customer who just DON"T understand thing when we try to make it work. Train will be recharge!

I have no fear of flying, but Amtrak takes the cake. Been 7 years since we've flown. Trip last year to Chicago on the Empire Builder made my partner an Amtrak rider from now on.. Our first LD trip in a month, and looking forward for that.

I think the thing I like the most is my imagination of "what happened in XXX spot years and years ago" the very spot, town, station, desert, etc., that I am traveling on/thru/over/under at the moment.
Another reason I like to travel by train is the places it goes. You've heard the saying in many Western movies "... get out of Dodge ..." Before I took the Southwest Chief, I never knew where Dodge City was! (Kansas)

Now I can say that "I was railroaded out of Dodge"!
laugh.gif

Traveling by LD train just seems be be more...civilized...and I don't mean that in a "luxurious" way...I mean it in a more friendly, reflective, thoughtful, relaxed kinda way...

Its not the flying that I dislike, its the TSA nonsense and the cattle car seating that I dislike. I think it is amazing that we can go thru the air at many hundred miles per hour & survive :eek:hboy:

On Amtrak the trip is part of the vacation - in fact I am going from KWD - KCY - LAX - SEA and the very next day SEA - EMY - GBB - SPI - ALN Just riding the train :giggle:

There are only two positives to mimicking a sardine in a can that has been tossed in the air: It is fast and, on a nice day, the 'birdseye' view.

On the occasions I've had to fly after riding the rails, it only accentuates how unpleasant commercial flying is.

Rail travel is relaxing, restful, social and (good) thought provoking for me. I find watching the world roll by my window to have a medatative quality which leaves me ready for my destination, not ready for a drink!

Traveling by LD train just seems be be more...civilized...and I don't mean that in a "luxurious" way...I mean it in a more friendly, reflective, thoughtful, relaxed kinda way...
An even better summation would be the word “humane”. At least you are treated like a human being most of the time on the train. Airlines couldn’t care less about you once they get your money. You are a captive customer the minute you reach the airport, and they (including security) can pretty much treat you any way they want. I certainly wouldn’t consider air travel to be humane, as they are constantly exerting control over you as to when you can leave your seat, when you can get off the airplane, when you can use the restroom, or your phone…………….and so on.

That is why I travel by train.

My wife and I have 2 new (metallic) joints each, and we KNOW what our treatment would be at the airport - no Xray,trigger the alarm, and step behind the curtain please. As long as Amtrak has a police chief willing to stand up to TSA, we're on the train from here on. We went from ATL to LAX and back in January to/from a cruise, and I can't imagine a more pleasant experience. No patdowns, no surly neanderthal screeners, no taking our shoes off, and all agents we encoun tered were passenger-oriented, helpful, friendly,cheerful,courteous and kind. The scenery was delightful and our fellow travelers were congenial even though the one thing we all had in common was that we were through with airports. One thing we learned: "Amtrak is ready when (we) are".

I consider my self to be an all mode traveler and make use of the most effective means of transportation at the time and location in question. By all means, I will take a train when the option (mainly schedule and location) exists. As to why? Like so many others, I simply like trains. Certainly, there is the social aspect - having a conversation with folks over dinner or hanging out in the sightseer lounge (when one exists). Overall, I like to view the scenery (granted some scenery can be down right nasty) and I like to just sit back and relax. So, when I have time (and can afford it) and train service exists - I will take advantage of it!

I have an injured hamstring and sitting in one place without walking around is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I also have ears that do not pressurize well and that is painful. Flying is downright uncomfortable for me, and will only do it when absolutely necessary. I think the last time I was on a plane was about 6 years ago (to Atlanta because I did not have the time to go from Florida to WAS to ATL, and I did not want to drive).

I like to travel alone and I find train travel very safe and comfortable for women traveling by themselves. I meet wonderful people, see the country outside my window and I relax.

I know I risk the wrath of the masses by saying so, but I don't mind flying that much. The kind of trips I take on Amtrak usually consist of flying one direction and taking the train back. I simply don't have the time (that nasty work thing) nor the finances to travel both directions by train. I could swing it by going coach one direction, but I don't want to travel long-distance by coach.

What I do like about train travel is that it's so much more relaxing. And personal. I've met many interesting folks when traveling by train; I can't remember any type of personal contact on any of my airline trips. And I like seeing scenery up-close and personal rather than at 39,000 feet. And I don't care for the TSA dog and pony show. It's so much easier to board Amtrak without all the TSA junk.

But, if it comes to a choice between flying and staying home, I'm flying. I don't want to miss out on a chance to go somewhere!!!

I agree. I only travel by train these days. I enjoy everything about train travel even when it's late. I enjoy most of my travel in the sleepers. It makes my travels more relaxing and enjoyable. I'm planning a trip in Oct. I'm ready to ride.

Back