Why does the LSL cost so much more to ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning a bike ride in mid-August along the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany and purchased tickets via the LSL from QCY to BUF and return ALB to QCY. QCY to BUF for two people cost me $433.50 total (roomette wa $289). The return was $398.50 (roomette $220).

I thought, since I'm so close, why not visit NYC for the first time in 30 years? The multi-city-trip options presented were:

* The Empire Service/LSL/IZ - $494 ($246 for roomette).

* The Empire Service/NE regional/CL/IZ via DC - $409 (roomette $123)

* The Empire Service/Pensy/CL/IZ option via PGH - $351 (roomette $86)

The latter is downright reasonable; but the midnight CL departure from PGH after a 9 hour 45 minute ride and 4 hour layover ruled that out.

The LSL has not had a dining car for quite some time now. It uses the same lousy diner-lite the Cardinal uses.
Its not that bad... and at least the LSL still has a separate lounge/cafe car. The food isnt bad at all
Have you ever noticed they lay the prepared food out right where anyone and everyone walks right by? I am not someone who is overly hygienic, but that is just wrong.

Otherwise, the food is not too bad, but it is still diner lite.

The LSL has not had a dining car for quite some time now. It uses the same lousy diner-lite the Cardinal uses.
Interesting. I haven't been up that way in a while. Thanks for the update. It doesn't surprise me, though. During my last couple of years at Amtrak I noticed the LSL seemed to fall victim to the dining car being substituted with a lounge on a regular basis as the shortage of dining cars worsened. The shortage of dining cars and sleepers were one big factor in the early 2000s "Silver Palm" to lose it's diner and sleeper service in order to have rolling stock available for the other single level trains with those services.

So this is of no surprise....

OBS gone freight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back