Why is Amtrak coach more expensive than flying?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing to me how nothing can be done to improve Amtrak unless we can find a "perfect world" to fund it. I suppose every country with a far smaller economy and far fewer resources that has eclipsed Amtrak's offerings is living in a perfect world then. I guess back when America had the world's most advanced passenger rail network we must have lived in a perfect world ourselves. Because otherwise none of those advances would have ever been possible.

And in a perfect world, Amtrak might be able to offer that kind of a service.

Here in the real world with the rolling stock that Amtrak owns, that isn't going to happen.
Aah, so Asian countries like China, India that offer such services are in the perfect world. Gotcha!

Can someone refresh me again about superpowers and Third World countries?

I don't think american's will go for couchettes. Americans crave privacy and don't want to share things with strangers.
Amamba, I agree that many Americans crave privacy, but if you give us a chance to travel in Amtrak type comfort, but upgraded to a real bunk type bed at night instead of a reclining type seat that is almost impossible to sleep in, most of us will gladly kick off our shoes and sleep in a couchette. Privacy is nice, but having a cheap way to travel while seeing all the best of our countryside AND sleeping soundly at night? I will gladly share my room with 3 other people if I can sleep in a bunk instead of trying to sleep, unsuccessfully, in an Amtrak coach chair.

Last edited:
When it comes to rail funding, yeah - pretty much.

It's pretty simple. Amtrak doesn't have the kind of cars needed. Amtrak doesn't have the money to buy the kind of car needed. Any speculation that they should offer that kind of service ignores the reality of the situation.

It's amazing to me how nothing can be done to improve Amtrak unless we can find a "perfect world" to fund it.
It's amazing to me that you can take my comments and twist them into "nothing can be done to improve Amtrak". There are plenty of things that can (and are) being done. Spending money that they don't have for cars that it isn't clear that there is any demand for isn't one of them.

Here in the real world with the rolling stock that Amtrak owns, that isn't going to happen.
Aah, so Asian countries like China, India that offer such services are in the perfect world. Gotcha!

With regards to rail funding, yes, they are in the perfect world. China has a government willing to spend vast sums of money to build an extensive rail system very rapidly. We don't, and our rail network reflects that.

I refuse to argue with anyone who believes in the existence of a perfect world or a perfect country or a perfect budget. You might as well be arguing about the existence of Santa Clause with a five year old. Get real people.

I refuse to argue with anyone who believes in the existence of a perfect world or a perfect country or a perfect budget. You might as well be arguing about the existence of Santa Clause with a five year old. Get real people.
The existence of a perfect world is superfluous.

The fact is that Amtrak has neither the kind of cars needed nor the money to buy the kind of car needed, so any speculation that they should offer that kind of service is pretty much a waste of time. It makes more sense to advocate for things that are within the realm of possibility.

A couple of points:

. . .

4) The airfare/rail coach fare numbers are a mixed bag. I'm actually taking the train from Virginia to Iowa at Christmas, and I got a low bucket sleeper WAS-CHI/CHI-WAS. The cost of the rail trip, round trip, was less than a six-month advance airline booking direct into Des Moines. With some major markets, airfares do come down on volume (and Amtrak fares go up on higher buckets), but it's variable based on demand and capacity.

. . .
I have to agree. Airfares may be cheap when flying to and from major markets, but when you aren't flying out of New York, Chicago, or LA, the train can actually be cheaper. We just rode from Iowa to Philly, and it was less than $250 round trip for each of us. It would have been closer to $350 to $400 each for air, and as much as $750 from a smaller airport.

I agree, but for overnight trips like Chicago to DC, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a rough night to save $80. With the price it is now, it makes absolutely no economic sense to take the train. If they lower fares on these overnight trains, then I am sure far more would flock to using them because money is always the prime motivator of change :rolleyes: Then my hope would be Amtrak introduce some type of budget sleeper accommodation, i.e no meals included, no shower, just a flat bunk bed. Even this would have to be 25-50% cheaper than flying for people to seriously use it.
I agree. In Ukraine where I am from almost all trains are "sleepers". It's not luxury, it's just the way trains should be. The standard room is for 4 adults (4 beds). So even if you travel for 2 hours you get a bed. The size of the room is approx. size of Amtrak "bedroom". You may also buy "luxury" room for 2 adults with the same size. No toilet or shower in the room, only a public restroom in the car. No meal included, you may go to the dinner car and buy meals yourself. This way one car takes 52 passengers, passengers get more room than in Amtrak roomettes, they pay for travel only, not for meals, shower, etc. and tickets for overnight trip are as low as $10-20. This is the way it should be. Price of $950 for one night in bedroom on Florida trains that I see very often is nonsense. I took it once (for points, not for cash!) and it was not any special from any Ukrainian trains for $10-20.
I agree with Colobok on the European couchette type of railcars being something Amtrak should look into. There are as many types as there are countries, but most have the aisle/hallway on one side of the car and either semi-open or nearly fully enclosed rooms with 4 to 6 seats that fold into 3' by 6'6" beds. They are pretty comfortable, and I am 6'4". Most of the cars for nearly every train convert into couchettes so there is none of the half-sleep in coach that a lot of us have suffered through. The porter converts the couch into 4 beds (6 beds in second class, but that is a bit crowded) at 10 pm, you kick off your shoes, read for a bit, nod off and wake up at 7 am when the porter comes back through to convert the bunks back into couch seats. The couches aren't quite as comfortable as reclining Amtrak seat, quite, but the bunks are much more comfortable than an Amtrak seat to sleep in. No comparison. With the View Liner and Dining cars to hang out in, a Couchette car is a great value for someone that is traveling overnight but doesn't want to spring for a roomette. It would be cool if Amtrak would convert a dozen cars to couchettes and sell them at a slight premium from the regular coach on a couple routes, but with no meals included.

They might be surprised by the reception.

Ziv
If we back up to the pre-streamliner era, that is trains as they were up to immediately post WW2, for the most part sleepers in the US were very similar in concept to the current the current "couchette" They were called sections. you had an upper and a lower berth with a dividing wall between each section. In the daytime there were a pair of facing seats. I can't describe quite how they were set up right now, but the upper berth folded up against the wall and ceiling. The berths were sold individually. The upper berth with no window was cheaper than the lower. In the early days of room sleepers, there were some that built with all. A common arrangement was 6-6-4, that is, 6 sections, 6 roomettes, 4 double bedrooms. Apparently the demand for sections was such that not many of these cars were built. Thus, the most common makeup of the post WW2 sleepers was the 10&6, that is 10 roomettes adn 6 double bedrooms.

Part of the issue might be that of concept. Even though the common term for coach was "daycoach" for nost people of normal financial circumstances the standard method of travel, if not on somebody else's nickel, was coach, whether overnight or not. For sure, of the 30 odd overnight train trips I made between the ages of 17 and 27, only 2 nights were in a sleeper. Of the dozen or so overnights made since, 3 were in sleeper.

Before jumping into the idea of the couchette cars or a new version of the section sleeper, we had better be sure that there is a market for that type of service. We may find that there is not. There are quite a few people that if given the choice of spending the night in a moving bed or spending a night in a reclining chair and saving $100 or so, you might find that most will take the money.

If anything, the concept of sitting up while traveling, even for very long trips, airline service has implanted the thought of being in a seat while traveling even more strongly into people's minds.

I agree, but for overnight trips like Chicago to DC, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a rough night to save $80. With the price it is now, it makes absolutely no economic sense to take the train. If they lower fares on these overnight trains, then I am sure far more would flock to using them because money is always the prime motivator of change :rolleyes: Then my hope would be Amtrak introduce some type of budget sleeper accommodation, i.e no meals included, no shower, just a flat bunk bed. Even this would have to be 25-50% cheaper than flying for people to seriously use it.
I agree. In Ukraine where I am from almost all trains are "sleepers". It's not luxury, it's just the way trains should be. The standard room is for 4 adults (4 beds). So even if you travel for 2 hours you get a bed. The size of the room is approx. size of Amtrak "bedroom". You may also buy "luxury" room for 2 adults with the same size. No toilet or shower in the room, only a public restroom in the car. No meal included, you may go to the dinner car and buy meals yourself. This way one car takes 52 passengers, passengers get more room than in Amtrak roomettes, they pay for travel only, not for meals, shower, etc. and tickets for overnight trip are as low as $10-20. This is the way it should be. Price of $950 for one night in bedroom on Florida trains that I see very often is nonsense. I took it once (for points, not for cash!) and it was not any special from any Ukrainian trains for $10-20.
I agree with Colobok on the European couchette type of railcars being something Amtrak should look into. There are as many types as there are countries, but most have the aisle/hallway on one side of the car and either semi-open or nearly fully enclosed rooms with 4 to 6 seats that fold into 3' by 6'6" beds. They are pretty comfortable, and I am 6'4". Most of the cars for nearly every train convert into couchettes so there is none of the half-sleep in coach that a lot of us have suffered through. The porter converts the couch into 4 beds (6 beds in second class, but that is a bit crowded) at 10 pm, you kick off your shoes, read for a bit, nod off and wake up at 7 am when the porter comes back through to convert the bunks back into couch seats. The couches aren't quite as comfortable as reclining Amtrak seat, quite, but the bunks are much more comfortable than an Amtrak seat to sleep in. No comparison. With the View Liner and Dining cars to hang out in, a Couchette car is a great value for someone that is traveling overnight but doesn't want to spring for a roomette. It would be cool if Amtrak would convert a dozen cars to couchettes and sell them at a slight premium from the regular coach on a couple routes, but with no meals included.

They might be surprised by the reception.

Ziv
If we back up to the pre-streamliner era, that is trains as they were up to immediately post WW2, for the most part sleepers in the US were very similar in concept to the current the current "couchette" They were called sections. you had an upper and a lower berth with a dividing wall between each section. In the daytime there were a pair of facing seats. I can't describe quite how they were set up right now, but the upper berth folded up against the wall and ceiling. The berths were sold individually. The upper berth with no window was cheaper than the lower. In the early days of room sleepers, there were some that built with all. A common arrangement was 6-6-4, that is, 6 sections, 6 roomettes, 4 double bedrooms. Apparently the demand for sections was such that not many of these cars were built. Thus, the most common makeup of the post WW2 sleepers was the 10&6, that is 10 roomettes adn 6 double bedrooms.

Part of the issue might be that of concept. Even though the common term for coach was "daycoach" for nost people of normal financial circumstances the standard method of travel, if not on somebody else's nickel, was coach, whether overnight or not. For sure, of the 30 odd overnight train trips I made between the ages of 17 and 27, only 2 nights were in a sleeper. Of the dozen or so overnights made since, 3 were in sleeper.

Before jumping into the idea of the couchette cars or a new version of the section sleeper, we had better be sure that there is a market for that type of service. We may find that there is not. There are quite a few people that if given the choice of spending the night in a moving bed or spending a night in a reclining chair and saving $100 or so, you might find that most will take the money.

If anything, the concept of sitting up while traveling, even for very long trips, airline service has implanted the thought of being in a seat while traveling even more strongly into people's minds.
Well, there's one way to "test market" something like this: Do a deal with one of the major European RRs to buy a couple of used cars (5-10, depending on the routes you want to try them on), rehab them, and stick them on the route of your choice. It's not a risk-free approach, and there are certainly some risks that would be in the mix, but it'd be cheaper than buying a big order and then having to chuck them because you can't fill them at any price and are for all intents and purposes stuck with a low-capacity coach car...and you could probably punt the cars to a third-world country when you're done with the test (as happens with a lot of European cars).

The biggest problem with this is likely to be that passenger cars in the US are basically rolling tanks...to have anyone die onboard an intercity train car in the US, you don't just need a crash, you need something catastrophic (i.e. going off a bridge into a river or getting slammed into by a semi with a full tank of gas) on top of the collision/derailment. It's worth noting the dog that doesn't bark in all of these collision cases: People get thrown around, someone might break an arm from a bad fall or twist an ankle because they go down the stairs wrong, but very rarely does anyone die. European cars have a lot less steel and so forth, and probably wouldn't pass muster.

Edit:

The next best option would be to throw a few in with a second Viewliner II order (i.e. just alter the module that goes into one of them).

With all of that said, I don't think these will fly if there's not some option to "buy out" a room (i.e. if you have three people traveling together, have Arrow allow you to simply buy the fourth slot but note that it's vacant). This is, as I understand it, pretty standard procedure in China, and is likely not unheard of in Europe or India, either. Even with this option, I think it would be a hard sell to Americans...either folks won't want to pay the upcharge and will just stick with Coach, or they'll want to have a private accommodation.

If you went with Pullman sections, this would be a bit easier (just have Arrow offer "lower berth", "upper berth", and "section", where the third option would reserve an upper and a lower in the same section). Now, while I've wanted to take a berth/section in Canada for the novelty, I'm not sure where I'd fall on springing for a roomette versus getting a berth/section. When you get right down to it, it would come down to the options available and the relative cost (i.e. being pushed into the high bucket on the Lake Shore Limited or the Silver Meteor for a roomette would make me seriously look at getting a berth) as well as the question of diner access priority (i.e. if the section still comes with a better chance at dinner, I'd probably spring for it).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that might fly is bringing back the Slumbercoach Singles in some way shape or form. I used to go Slumbercoach all the time when they were available, even after food service was included in the fare for Sleepers but not for Slumbercoach. I could fend for myself foodwise from the Cafe/lounge and long stops, and still come out way ahead of paying the Sleeper surcharges.

I don't know what being a Superpower has to do with the type of sleeping service provided in a train. I am yet to see how an ICBM or Aircraft Carrier helps people travel within the country - leaving aside the issue of securing fuel pipelines and maintaining the ability to twist others arms into selling such to us that is. :p

The issue is that there is huge demand for rail travel and there is significant shortage of supply in countries like China and India, and that is why they are funded at what appears to be exorbitant levels - but still their funding levels are no more than the level of funding that the Interstate System in US has enjoyed over the years when it was being built from scratch. Notwithstanding that, the type of service that people desire is closely related to the cultural and societal norms angle too. Americans generally do not like to be physically close to each other as much as many other cultures do. So it stands to reason that the sort of accommodation that works in these other places may not be acceptable in the US.

Then again things do change over time. For example India is bringing back Restaurant Car (what they call Dining Cars there) service on the overnight Air-Conditioned trains and there is a huge controversy going on about whether there should be priority for First Class passengers in those or should they be open to all first come first served. The latter will surely require multiple Restaurant Cars in each train since each train carries over 1000 passengers on an average run.

Imagine how quick theyll run out of the "Good Stuff" on Trains with a Thousnad Passengers!

I can just hear it now, "We only have #1 and #4 left! No Pepsi! Only Coke!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Imagine how quick theyll run out of the "Good Stuff" on Trains with a Thousnad Passengers!

I can just hear it now, "We only have #1 and #4 left! No Pepsi! Only Coke!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the past they used to run married pair Restaurant and Kitchen cars, so they had ample supplies. One should also keep in mind that a standard Indian car is ~75' long, not 85' like here. But the longest overnight AC trains are 18 to 20 cars long with standard consists. So there will be either significant lengthening of trains - upto 24 cars is possible without lengthening platforms, or reduction of capacity or a combination of the two. So who knows how they will slice and dice this one.

Catering folks on Indian Railways are used to serving thousand passengers on a train. Now most of the popular long distance trains are 24 cars long, with upto 18-odd air-conditioned and non air-conditioned reserved sleeper cars and five or six unreserved Second Class cars attached at both ends of the train, which are not connected by vestibules to the remaining train, so they are out of contention for food service, but the remaining 18 cars have 60 to 70 passengers each, thus coming to around 1200 reserved passengers. There are food stalls at every platform at all major stations, so some passengers grab their food from there but still a large number depend on the train's catering service for their meals. Of course, no train on Indian Railways offers Amtrak style sit-down dining (there is only one train with a combined kitchen-dining car), it is more like prison food- prepared en masse in the Kitchen Car and distributed to passengers in plastic trays and aluminum foil packets at their berths. If there is to be an Amtrak style Dining Car on Indian trains carrying over thousand passengers, I can imagine the Dining Car attendant announcing in the morning- "Dining Car reservations are now open for, depending on the time your turn comes, breakfast, lunch or dinner!"
mosking.gif

Before they were discontinued the dining cars were to be found only on a few trains and most of them had manageable size of patrons. Typically on the AC Express trains there used to be 3 or 4 Chair Cars (Coaches) and one or two Sleepers, which could be adequately served by dining cars. With the introduction of Rajdhani Expresses with their Pantry Cars and at seat food service in 1969, dining cars were quickly phased out from most trains, barring one or two exceptions.

India has several levels of train service. The run of the mill express/mail train fits the description that Texas provides. They have either pantry car based or shore based at seat food service though food is not included in the ticket. In addition they stop often enough and long enough at stations for people to get food from station vendors. A notch above that are the Rajdhani and Shatabdis which are fully air conditioned and corridored. They all have pantry car based food at seat service with food included in the ticket, and typically do not stop often enough and long enough at stations for folks to adequately get food from station vendors. In the last few years another class of trains called Duronto Express have been introduced which have commercial stops only at the origin and destination, with no commercial stops en route. They do have service stops but they are not widely advertised though a rail savvy person knows about them. These trains also have pantry car based food at seat service typically with food included in the ticket.

And then there the lowly passenger trains which have nothing in the way of service at all.

The new dining car proposal is primarily targeted at upper class and on the Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto class trains. Of course what will come of it is anybody's guess.

Indian trains are also on a broader gauge than in the US; so they are wider.
But they use what is close to UIC loading gauge specially at floor level. Indian passenger cars are based on two shell designs, both from Europe. The so called Integral Coaches are based on a Schlieren design of 1950s vintage and the more modern so called LHB coaches are based on an Alstom/LHB design of 2000 vintage. The former are pretty basic and even lack simple yaw dampers. The latter have relatively modern Fiat trucks with yaw dampers and are capable of 200kph.

Recently, IR manufacturing facilities have built upon the latter platform to create a standard multi-level design which is slowly being introduced into service. An earlier version based on the Schlieren design did not succeed because they ere not air conditioned and dust was a huge problem at the lower deck.

So bottom line is track gauge does not necessarily give more room within the car - specially the long distance one.

OTOH, Indian EMUs are based on a completely different wider design, wider by almost a foot at floor level than the long distance cars. However, at platform level, which is below floor level they are compliant with LD cars in width. Indeed it is the new multi-level cars that initially had problems with scraping existing platform edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or is NE Regional trains cheaper these days? Its 45 dollars from NYP to BOS. It used to be at least 60 for 7 AM train.
That looks like the 25% off price if you buy the tickets at least 2 weeks in advance. Amtrak has had the >14 day advance purchase discount program for NE Regionals for a while now.

I have to agree. Airfares may be cheap when flying to and from major markets, but when you aren't flying out of New York, Chicago, or LA, the train can actually be cheaper. We just rode from Iowa to Philly, and it was less than $250 round trip for each of us. It would have been closer to $350 to $400 each for air, and as much as $750 from a smaller airport.
The higher ticket prices for flights to the smaller airports is just the beginning of a long term trend if oil prices stay above $100/barrel. (I'm using Brent crude price because that is a more accurate reflection of the average global price for oil in the past year than West Texas Intermediate). Brent crude is at $114/barrel as of today and has stayed above $100/barrel since early this year, despite the recent economic news.

The economics of flying small to medium size jet airplanes to the lower volume smaller airports get directly hit by high fuel costs. More efficient and profitable on a per passenger basis to fly large jumbo jets 90% full from major city airports than to fly a 50 seat regional jet to a smaller city airport which might be 50% full on a mid-day flight. Higher tickets prices and fewer daily flights to increase # of passengers per plane is the long term trend for many smaller and even medium sized city airports. Higher fuel costs do raise operating costs for Amtrak, but cost of fuel is a much smaller percentage of operating costs for an Amtrak train (which also serves multiple towns and cities) than it is for airline. This is a fundamental reality which is going to increasingly affect the airplane or driving a car versus passenger train debate over the next decade and beyond. Just my cheerful thought for the day!

Ditto the above. Actually, when this thread started, it's quite possible that some of the airfares hadn't "snapped" upwards yet...but you raise a good point: Airline costs are something like 35% fuel, while with Amtrak in particular it's either 7 or 8% IIRC.

DC Commuters use the Amtrak everyday (MARC Train). It is super expensive. I recently moved from MD to the Eastern Panhandle of WV. You would be surprised how many people actually make that 2 hour commute everyday. It is something like $280 a month for unlimited monthly fair. Factor in parking and for most, full fair for the metro or bus to take you to your actual destination...It might actually be cheaper to drive everday- but 270 is such a mess that no sane person actually wants to drive it everday. It took me a full hour to drive 17 miles in the morning when I lived in MD. Yikes!

DC Commuters use the Amtrak everyday (MARC Train). It is super expensive. I recently moved from MD to the Eastern Panhandle of WV. You would be surprised how many people actually make that 2 hour commute everyday. It is something like $280 a month for unlimited monthly fair. Factor in parking and for most, full fair for the metro or bus to take you to your actual destination...It might actually be cheaper to drive everday- but 270 is such a mess that no sane person actually wants to drive it everday. It took me a full hour to drive 17 miles in the morning when I lived in MD. Yikes!
I'm a little confused... Do you mean MARC or do you mean Amtrak? They are different. Many of these commuter services (ie: MARC, VRE, etc) have reciprocity deals with Amtrak for their fares, or at least upgrade programs. Amtrak is way more pricey than the commuters, but also tend to act as an express, skipping some local stops, is ready more comfortable and generally has better amenities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back