"Why should we have trains? I won't ride one."

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're getting that vibe from news article comments on the Internet, remember that, that is only a small part of the general population...
That was certainly true back in the 1990's, but here in 2010 we have a far more representative sampling.

I'd say write a letter to the editor in support of this rail service. Just remember to keep it short and simple and put the most important stuff first.
And be sure to contact the paper first to make sure you're aware of their various rules and restrictions. Looking at the letters of those who came before you won't tell you the whole story and some folks will be allowed to break some rules anyway.

You probably have a local council of governments in your area that plans transportation projects. Go to those meetings and express your concerns. I do in my area.
I do as well, but I have yet to push the passenger rail issue. That's where I need some help in deciding what my goals should be versus what we can reasonably expect to achieve.

I still believe we're having a rail rennaisance here in the US. Progress will be made, but then there will also be set backs. But, remember over the past 10 or 20 years, we've had more progress with passenger rail then we've had setbacks.
I don't think you realize just how much damage is right around the corner. Amtrak has proved surprisingly resilient in the past, but that was back when tax rates were much higher than they are now or probably ever will be again. Austerity is coming to America and Amtrak has a huge target painted on its relatively tiny subsidy. Or maybe all the news I'm reading is completely wrong somehow.

That makes your "they pay more in tax" argument pretty much worthless, then.
Trucks do pay more taxes than autos to use highways, as they should, no argument there. What argument did you thing I was trying to make?

I would assume that you were trying to refute the post that you quoted and were trying to say that since trucks paid more in taxes, that question was invalid.

Since they still don't cover all of the costs of highways, the question is perfectly appropriate.

If you're getting that vibe from news article comments on the Internet, remember that, that is only a small part of the general population...
That was certainly true back in the 1990's, but here in 2010 we have a far more representative sampling.
While far more people have internet access, Saxman is correct saying that the part of the population that comments on news articles is in fact very small.

I think a logical, well-planned, sufficiently funded rail system will turn out to be a great deal like the Interstate Highway System. Perhaps detractors of passenger rail do not realize it took real money to pave umpteen freeways across the length and breadth of this country. It was an investment that future generations often take for granted. Similarly, if we invest in modern rail systems today, then future citizens will be thankful that someone took the time to construct an alternative to I-95, I-5, or some other overcongested freeway. There is a place for all modes of transportation in our national infrastructure network-we should develop ALL of these modes as time goes on.

It's neither representative nor relevant, the pool is self selecting.
No poll is completely pure and merely being indicative does not in itself make a pool completely unrepresentative or irrelevant. Over a large enough sample size the inherent biases of self-selection can be filtered out sufficiently. The main problem with current web polling isn't the self-selecting nature of the participants so much as the poor craftsmanship and analytical prowess exhibited by our mainstream news sites. As the Internet continues to mature as a polling medium it is becoming more and more of a known quantity that can properly filtered to address self-selection, just as traditional polls are filtered to address people who indirectly self-select by working late shifts or disconnecting their landline or simply declining to participate when asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back