Why Viewliners?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoMan

Train Attendant
Every trip I have been on before was aboard a Superliner on Tuesday I will be going on the Crescent and it will be my first Viewliner experience. I was just wondering why they use the Viewliner on some routes that would seem to be better suited for a Superliner. Is it just an equipment issue? Is it an issue with the size of a Superliner being to big for some routes? Or am I missing it all together?

In the case of the Cardinal and Crescent, the problem is that Superliner equipment can't go on the NEC due to height restrictions in tunnels.

In the case of the Cardinal and Crescent, the problem is that Superliner equipment can't go on the NEC due to height restrictions in tunnels.
That's actually the case for all Viewliner-based trains. The tunnels around Baltimore and NYC are far too low to accommodate Superliners, and while the catenary could be raised across the rest of the NEC to accommodate them, it's not worth it if they can't make it through the tunnels.

That's actually the case for all Viewliner-based trains. The tunnels around Baltimore and NYC are far too low to accommodate Superliners, and while the catenary could be raised across the rest of the NEC to accommodate them, it's not worth it if they can't make it through the tunnels.
The nominal height of catenary of the NEC is 21+ feet. They are high enough to accommodate not only Superliners (~16') but even Plate H and Plate K freight cars (20'6"). The clearance problems are at tunnels and select overpasses and stations. Additionally NEC is all high platform, whereas Superliners are incapable of operating from high platform stations, and no one is about to change that on the NEC either.

There is a long standing urban legend that it is very difficult to put catenary on tracks that carry freight. It is just that - an urban legend, and there is no truth to it.

Actually I wish there were more Viewliners on all routes. The accommodation in Viewliners is roomier and less claustrophobic feeling than in the Superliners, specially in the Roomettes. Afterall, there is a reason that Santa-Fe never converted their premier sleeper train - the Super Chief - to Hi-Level. But in current frugal operations it would probably not make sense to complicate operations with multiple types of equipment on a train.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, the main problem is that the tunnels in BAL and NYP are not high enough to allow for Superliner operations. Plus all stations between WAS and NYP have only high level platforms. (WAS has a few low level platforms, and that is why they can be used to WAS.) Superliners do not have doors that allow for use at high level platforms at all.

Viewliners will be with us for many years to come and we actually prefer them for their higher ceilings. What we find inconvenient is the small amount of bedrooms that cn be offered (2 per car).

A Viewliner can be boarded from a station platform or at track level making them more versatile.

For reasons sited above, you won't see Superliners in NYC or on the NEC anytime soon.

The nominal height of catenary of the NEC is 21+ feet. They are high enough to accommodate not only Superliners (~16') but even Plate H and Plate K freight cars (20'6"). The clearance problems are at tunnels and select overpasses and stations. Additionally NEC is all high platform, whereas Superliners are incapable of operating from high platform stations, and no one is about to change that on the NEC either.

There is a long standing urban legend that it is very difficult to put catenary on tracks that carry freight. It is just that - an urban legend, and there is no truth to it.

Actually I wish there were more Viewliners on all routes. The accommodation in Viewliners is roomier and less claustrophobic feeling than in the Superliners, specially in the Roomettes. Afterall, there is a reason that Santa-Fe never converted their premier sleeper train - the Super Chief - to Hi-Level. But in current frugal operations it would probably not make sense to complicate operations with multiple types of equipment on a train.
To me, the most claustrophobic feeling I got was in the Amtrak Slumbercoach. I could only handle one overnight trip in those. They were neat but not for more than 24 hours.

If anyone wonders why Superliners can't be used at high-platform stations, I snapped this photo at NTD DC this year. In the photo, the Superliner in question is parked on a track with a low platform on one side and a high platform on the other side (the side from which the photo is taken). As you can see, there would be a teensy step up from the Superliner floor to the platform.

If anyone wonders why Superliners can't be used at high-platform stations, I snapped this photo at NTD DC this year. In the photo, the Superliner in question is parked on a track with a low platform on one side and a high platform on the other side (the side from which the photo is taken). As you can see, there would be a teensy step up from the Superliner floor to the platform.
For people boarding the Superliner from the high level platform, just add a bar to grab onto above the door and an inflatable slide inside the Superliner that starts out level with the platform. Then people can squat down, grab the bar and swing themselves inside the Superliner feet first. To exit, just crawl up the slide using handholds. Of course, there is the small issue of ADA compliance and those of us with creaky shoulders and bad knees, but you can't have everything. :blink:

WIL has both low-level and high-level platforms. ;)
Shows how much of a newbie I am. How much I paid attention.

I was at WIL on NTD taking SEPTA to/from Philly. I'm guessing we got on from a low-level platform (because I remember having to step up to the first step. This was Gate C (where the the enclosed area is). I'm trying to remember how we got off when we came back (the platform between the tracks). I guess we just stepped off rather than step down. Is this right?

PHL and TRE both have one low-level platform. I know that it's Track 3 at Trenton, but I'm not sure what track number the low-level platform is at 30th Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back