WIFI on THE CS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSpike

Lead Service Attendant
Just left LA heading for PDX. I'm in the PC forgetting Amtrak was going to fire up WIFI. Nice touch!

I'm on a KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS (bedroom) loophole trip I set up just before they clamped down on reward

points needed.

Despite this being the busy season for Amtrak, the SWC'S KCY-LAX was very pleasant.

They didn't cram diners together for the most part and let some couples sit alone or rush you.

The air ventilation was awesome in the diner and sleeper for once.

Just left LA heading for PDX. I'm in the PC forgetting Amtrak was going to fire up WIFI. Nice touch!

I'm on a KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS (bedroom) loophole trip I set up just before they clamped down on reward

points needed.

Despite this being the busy season for Amtrak, the SWC'S KCY-LAX was very pleasant.

They didn't cram diners together for the most part and let some couples sit alone or rush you.

I took the CS from PDX to EMY about 10 days ago. After the 3rd time I got booted off the wifi connection in 5 minutes, I gave up. Another pax in the PC had the same experience. Never did try it after that. And I was trying to log on to AU to report I had wifi on the CS... :(

Glad to hear its working for you! I have found the wifi on the acela to be TERRIBLE between BOS - NYP. Pretty much unusable for even just simple stuff like browsing AU, twitter, etc.

Glad to hear its working for you! I have found the wifi on the acela to be TERRIBLE between BOS - NYP. Pretty much unusable for even just simple stuff like browsing AU, twitter, etc.
I had no major problems using it on Acela a few weeks back. In fact, I was reporting the delays from the train using the Wi-Fi. I think that I had one brief outage around the RI/CT border, but that was it. No problems returning the next day at all.

I had no major problems using it on Acela a few weeks back. In fact, I was reporting the delays from the train using the Wi-Fi. I think that I had one brief outage around the RI/CT border, but that was it. No problems returning the next day at all.
That's because we try to keep the riff-raff out of RI!
laugh.gif
(We have enough in the state already!
mosking.gif
)

Really? Have you ever noticed that ALL Amtrak LD trains (viewliners & superliners) have a VERY DISTINCT smell. It's sort of like a disinfectant/diesel/musty smell? I swear ever train has it. It's a very distinctu "Amtrak smell!"

I was on the CS a week and a half ago (Los Angeles-Seattle) and I overheard the patrons of the parlor car give mixed reviews of the Wi-Fi. Some said it was fine; others said it was workable but slow and others said it was too slow to have been any good. I guess it depended on your perspective and, perhaps, where you were at. I noticed too the ventilation system working well.

Could it be the location of the wifi in regards to where you are on the train? I experienced poor service in May and then again when I took acela on August 15th from NYP - PVD. Just curious if that might be causing a discrepency?

Could it be the location of the wifi in regards to where you are on the train? I experienced poor service in May and then again when I took acela on August 15th from NYP - PVD. Just curious if that might be causing a discrepency?
Where you are might have some bearing on just how many bars of Wi-Fi signal you have; so if that's dropping in and out, then yes location within the train could have some bearing. However, if you're Wi-Fi signal is holding strong and you're just not getting out or performance is really poor, then that would be a function of how many people are trying to use the service and is the system working properly. As in, are all 4 modems for the different cellular companies working and is the system always picking the strongest signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back