Will dining cars resume 12/15/20?/Flexible dining extended to May 2021?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dining car service on a one night train to the East out of Chicago is not a major issue for me, the delays are. Having said that, they could offer so much better choices than the microwave TV dinners.
It doesn't take a lot of imagination. Prepackaged salads and sandwiches even? Flex dining is not a terrible concept for the eastern third of the country, it could certainly be executed better.

Of the various problems with the dining options for the Easter trains, if they are to remain with "flex dining" ... while they could make the food better - for what they are offering compared to what used to be offered or what full dining on the Western trains was ... they need to LOWER the prices of the sleeper fares. Since they have removed a value item from the overall trip the fare should be adjusted accordingly. The small difference they had on the Star when they discontinued meals compared to the Silver when they still had full dining was not enough of a price difference.

There would be far less complaints if the worthless food was removed from the ticket price and the fares lowered enough to make purchasing or bringing food worth the fare.

Of the various problems with the dining options for the Easter trains, if they are to remain with "flex dining" ... while they could make the food better - for what they are offering compared to what used to be offered or what full dining on the Western trains was ... they need to LOWER the prices of the sleeper fares. Since they have removed a value item from the overall trip the fare should be adjusted accordingly. The small difference they had on the Star when they discontinued meals compared to the Silver when they still had full dining was not enough of a price difference.

There would be far less complaints if the worthless food was removed from the ticket price and the fares lowered enough to make purchasing or bringing food worth the fare.
But it goes back to management again. There is a disconnect between Amtrak, costing, and service.

I just returned from a trip on the Silver Star. My favorite of the flex offerings is the Shrimp in Lobster Sauce which tasted subpar. I had the pasta which left me queasy. Again,why don't they offer soup and sandwiches as part of their flex menu? I understand the situation with the pedemic,but there has to be more variety on a cross country trip

Of course most of us on this forum have been complaining about the food since flex dining was introduced and there has been virtually no improvement at all. On a recent trip on the Southwest Chief I actually bought a burger and a cup of noodles from the cafe car and it was better than anything on the flex menu and I was in a sleeper. Why can't sleeper passengers have the option of cafe car items?

I remember when Richard Anderson touted the new flex dining as a revolutionary move to Amtrak's dining. Never have I seen such a positive spin on a huge downgrade in service.

I'm not particularly enamored with Home Depot (they sell lots of "lowest quality stuff at cheapest possible prices"), but my niece works at their corporate headquarters in Atlanta. She is a recent grad of Georgia Tech and does mathematical modelling and economic projections for them, and is required to work 2 weeks each year on the floor in one of their stores. I think this is a really good policy for keeping the management employees grounded in the real world. Maybe if the top-level management had to serve a week or two each year as an SCA or LSA or behind a ticket counter... There might be union problems with this, but I think the unions might agree if they thought it would make management more sympathetic to labor issues.
They actually tried this once back in 1989 or 1990...all Management were to work two shifts in different roles over which they have some responsibility. I don't think the program lasted long enough for it to be implemented across the country, before it was quietly scrapped....

What leads you to believe anybody in management [I assumed you meant Amtrak management] sees this forum?
There was a time when several people from Amtrak management were regulars on this forum. They seem to have slowly disappeared one by one. I am not sure if any remain. Someone among the Admins may know more precisely.

But many particpants in this forum are also members, some even quite active, of the RPA and its Council. They do bring some of the more achievable ideas from this Board to that forum and through that to Amtrak. Suffice it to say that not all get through the RPA Council discussions, as that in itself is a very opinionated and sometimes contentious place with various overlapping agenda decking it out.

Last edited:
There was a time when several people from Amtrak management were regulars on this forum. They seem to have slowly disappeared one by one. I am not sure if any remain. Someone among the Admins may know more precisely.

But many particpants in this forum are also members, some even quite active, of the RPA and its Council. They do bring some of the more achievable ideas from this Board to that forum and through that to Amtrak. Suffice it to say that not all get through the RPA Council discussions, asthat in itself is a very opinionated and sometimes contentious place with various overlapping agenda decking it out.

Thank you for the info. Can see by your extraordinary number of posts and and your AU lifetime membership.. that what you say has a lot of credibility. I always look forward to reading your posts!

Am I out of place for concluding that our members have been coming up with great ideas and have brought forth successfully the many issues that have been impairing Amtrak operations? If Amtrak management was actually listening to its clientele, they would already be aware of the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum. Wondering how others on this forum feel about being listened to directly by Amtrak management?
I'd be surprised and frankly thrilled if somebody there were monitoring this forum. I think the posts here are thoughtful and balanced, for the most part, and the gripes that get expressed here ought to register with Amtrak management if they care about maintaining clientele. After all, anyone who spends time on a forum like this is almost certainly a repeat rider! Compared to the cesspool that is most of the Internet, this forum is Athenian democracy!

I'd be surprised and frankly thrilled if somebody there were monitoring this forum. I think the posts here are thoughtful and balanced, for the most part, and the gripes that get expressed here ought to register with Amtrak management if they care about maintaining clientele. After all, anyone who spends time on a forum like this is almost certainly a repeat rider! Compared to the cesspool that is most of the Internet, this forum is Athenian democracy!

Right on... and if no one at Amtrak management is aware of or monitoring this forum, they are disconnected with the clientele they are serving!

All the comments made by our thoughtful posts are logical and demonstrate understanding of the pandemic and financial impact; but are resourceful and have come up with ideas that are do-able.

Right on... and if no one at Amtrak management is aware of or monitoring this forum, they are disconnected with the clientele they are serving!

All the comments made by our thoughtful posts are logical and demonstrate understanding of the pandemic and financial impact; but are resourceful and have come up with ideas that are do-able.
I should also mention that when I knew the people that were monitoring they did it mostly by stealth. I knew them personally so I knew, but most on the Forum had no clue. There were one or two that ever posted anything, and even then most did not know for sure that they were from Amtrak unless they knew so otherwise through other channels. So you can never know for sure.

Question I have is: Does the Amtrak management care about what the Amtrak passengers think and want? At a couple companies I worked for enforced the “Ride Along Program” where all managers were required to ride with the field people a minimum of five business days a year to be eligible for bonuses. One week, I had the company COO ride with me Sunday through Saturday. I was surprised, he spent very little time on his business, most he wanted to know my customers, my projects, my tasks, and my team members. He helped with everything we did, even getting dirty with my team. Doing this I believe makes a major difference with customers and employees.

I should also mention that when I knew the people that were monitoring they did it mostly by stealth. I knew them personally so I knew, but most on the Forum had no clue. There were one or two that ever posted anything, and even then most did not know for sure that they were from Amtrak unless they knew so otherwise through other channels. So you can never know for sure.
I find this subject interesting...When I first went to work for a railroad (BN), I was warned by acquaintance's, to not give any clue to their recruiter that I was a railfan, as that was a sure fire way of not getting hired. And I found that professional railroader's mostly have disdain for those of us that are. Sure there are many, but many keep it 'in the closet'.

As for railroad management monitoring this and other rail enthusiast forum's...this subject comes up often on the "Cruise Critic's" cruise ship forum...of whether or not cruise line management monitor their forum. Now that particular one is an extremely large one (owned by Trip Advisor owner's), and does have somewhat of a close relationship with some cruise lines for promotional purposes like having "gathering's" (meet and greet) on board...and some lines even have "verified social media" reps answering some of the criticism and question's on various threads. Other's do not, but very likely do monitor the air, regardless.

Even if Amtrak does not officially respond to AU, I am confident that at least some of their management is following what is said here, even if they may not share with us, or even with other Amtrak management...

Even if Amtrak does not officially respond to AU, I am confident that at least some of their management is following what is said here, even if they may not share with us, or even with other Amtrak management...
Personally, I don't care if Amtrak management pays attention to this forum because hearing it from us is meaningless compared to seeing it for themselves.
A dozen of us could cry all day about the food but to see customers take a few bites of the "flex menu" then dump it in the trash with an angry comment or see people buying food in the cafe instead of eating the included meals or being forced to eat the same meals over and over on a trip or not having special diet food mean more than anything.
Seeing the inconsistency of onboard personnel or the creation of their own rules means a lot more than any letters of complaint later.

Seeing the sometimes failure of Amtrak people to properly handle misrouted luggage, late trains, and Covid failures on bustitutions means much more than reading about it in the media articles.

BUT ONLY IF THE CARE! AND THEY DON'T CARE because they don't do it.

They simply are not doing the job for which they are paid and that's stealing.

And if I really said what I thought of them ...

But many particpants in this forum are also members, some even quite active, of the RPA and its Council. They do bring some of the more achievable ideas from this Board to that forum and through that to Amtrak. Suffice it to say that not all get through the RPA Council discussions, asthat in itself is a very opinionated and sometimes contentious place with various overlapping agenda decking it out.
At one time, there were several AU members who were members of the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee (which was terminated a couple of years ago). Amtrak management did listen to ACAC members and participated in its meetings and conferences.

Personally, I don't care if Amtrak management pays attention to this forum because hearing it from us is meaningless compared to seeing it for themselves.
A dozen of us could cry all day about the food but to see customers take a few bites of the "flex menu" then dump it in the trash with an angry comment or see people buying food in the cafe instead of eating the included meals or being forced to eat the same meals over and over on a trip or not having special diet food mean more than anything.
Seeing the inconsistency of onboard personnel or the creation of their own rules means a lot more than any letters of complaint later.

Seeing the sometimes failure of Amtrak people to properly handle misrouted luggage, late trains, and Covid failures on bustitutions means much more than reading about it in the media articles.

Thank you for voicing the frustration so many of us feel! This whole flex thing is just plain wrong... and all the chips are now down. But what is so off putting is that people are paying top prices for accommodation with meals, then throwing those meals away and purchasing food in the cafe car... which is a bit more palatable but certainly not healthy.

Amtrak is just taking advantage of the public who prefer rail travel because there is no competition... and no care for the well being of the traveling public.

Our national rail system needs to reflect governmental responsibility to the traveling public. Is our government failing us or is it a government for the people? And my rant is not just about the food... those coaches need to be maintained and or updated; there needs to be a better working relationship with the freight companies who own those rails; there needs to be more overall cooperation and more pride in moving our country forward.

At one time, there were several AU members who were members of the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee (which was terminated a couple of years ago). Amtrak management did listen to ACAC members and participated in its meetings and conferences.

Good to know there once was an Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee... it should certainly be reinstated!

And the flip side of that: Only by riding the trains will management see the employees who do an exceptionally GOOD job, making customers comfortable and happy, creatively solving problems that management might not even have considered, dealing with fallout from pennywise, pound foolish practices like the crappy frozen dinners....

I am thinking about starting a petition to allow sleeper passengers a $20 credit at the Cafe car in lieu of a flexible dining meal.
Also, I saw where the dining car attendant was punching in meals into a cash register at say $34 for a chicken Alfredo meal. Why do they have to do this where the meals are free for sleeper car passengers.

I am thinking about starting a petition to allow sleeper passengers a $20 credit at the Cafe car in lieu of a flexible dining meal.
Also, I saw where the dining car attendant was punching in meals into a cash register at say $34 for a chicken Alfredo meal. Why do they have to do this where the meals are free for sleeper car passengers.
That is how money is transferred into the Food Service account from the ticket revenue account.

$20 doesn't get much for the overpriced junk food in the cafe car... and when you consider the new higher fares for roomettes a lot more than that is priced in sleeper accommodations for meals. And that chicken Alfredo meal which is read at $34 at the cash register is a kind of accounting 'gibberish' from management... and you can also purchase a plastic drinking glass for $1 because that's the actual amount used in accounting for 'whatever.' Amtrak management doesn't know and doesn't care.

BTW the actual amount of costing for the few ounces of that chicken Alfredo is $2 to $3 plus 'handling.' And how many milligrams of actual chicken do you think is in that puddle of sodium, fat, and chemical taste enhancers???

Let's hear it for flex meals! 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Back