Will Meals On Amtrak Eventually Migrate To THIS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, timing would be a HUGE issue. When I was a pizza driver, I know there's no way our store would have delivered to the train. You can't rely on when the train will get there, which ties up a driver, as they have to wait for the train.

That said, if Domino's were available on the train, I doubt we'd eat it. Well, Brent might. He loves pizza. :) I prefer Amtrak food, though. Pizza is something we get when it's late, a weekend, I don't feel like cooking real food, etc. It's more of a snack than a meal. I do love me some cheesy bread, but again, I'd rather have steak, chicken, meatballs, etc.

I've often considered ordering better food from a stationary restaurant but then I realize that I'll probably hand over my credit card only to have trouble finding my food or end up with a late arrival to cold food or a late but earlier than expected arrival with no food. I understand that the lack of enforceable rules and penalties mean the freight railways can treat Amtrak however they please but that doesn't change the fact that Amtrak schedule keeping is too sloppy for reliable food delivery. Even hotels and rental cars can be a bit of a gamble when arriving on Amtrak.

The article linked by OP is about Indian Railways.

The IRCTC effort is to offer more alternatives over and above the standard fare of Indian Vegetarian , Indian Non Vegetarian and so called Western Non Vegetarian. Currently different caterers are already responsible for different trains. I quite like the Nonveg Thali on the Rajdhani Expresses from New Delhi to Howrah as well as Sealdah (both terminii in Kolkata), though the Sealdah one is a little better.

In effect you will get more choices than the three mentioned.

As for late running, Amtrak does not have monopoly on that. I have been on the prestigious Rajdhani Express in India running 12 hours late due to fog. There is a train superintendent who is responsible for making sure that passengers get food. Usually the call ahead and load food at some appropriate station en route with a kitchen. Absent such they make arrangement with designated caterers en route. Sometimes you get quite a strange variety of stuff in such situations. Usually though the substitute meal turns out to be something like a plate of veg or non-veg Biriiyani, with some additional knick nack. The Pantry car is also able to conjure up something a little more special for the AC First Class folks. This is only on the designated trains which include food in the fare, and have Pantry carts, which mostly have storage for pre-plated food, and also have a small kitchen. All food is served at your seat. There are no Dining Cars on LD trains..

On other trains food service is provided by taking orders and calling ahead to the next station for delivery anyway, so even when they are running late it is no different.

A documentary on Youtube shows the "behind-the-scenes" of Germany's CityNightLine (their night train system), and at one point, you see OBS going to a food depot at a station to pick up fresh food for the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T27hhxvlmI

Depot scene at 3:55

Domino's pizza actually has gotten better in recent years but is still nowhere near the quality of Lou's, Giordano's or about any independent NYC Pizzeria. But as "Emergency Pizza" it gets the job done.

If were gonna talk about Pizza from National Chains as Emergency rations, it's hard to beat "Papa Johns" who fought and won an expensive lawsuit with the Giant Pizza Yuck that allowed Papa to use the slogan " Better Ingredients,Better Pizza!" in their ads!

If I'm not in Chicago or New York, make mine the Large "Cowboy Special!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info on Indian trains jis!

I still occasionaly see the Chef and LSA board LD Trains with their own ingredients for making feasts for the crew!

I've actually been able to eat some of this specially prepared food and it reminds me of the old days on the crack trains like the Super Chief, 20th Century, Sunset Ltd., Southern Crescent etc.

And the Texas Eagle crews have Bar- B- Q delivered to the train @ the Texas Eagle stop in Taylor! (although they get it from the joint next to the Station, and it's good, there is a better joint in Taylor I eat @ on point run trips!)

If were gonna talk about Pizza from National Chains as Emergency rations, it's hard to beat "Papa Johns" who fought and won an expensive lawsuit with the Giant Pizza Yuck that allowed Papa to use the slogan " Better Ingredients,Better Pizza!" in their ads!
I thought Papa Johns was mainly focused on ignoring minimum wage law and fighting expanded healthcare. In any case all of the big three (Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns) have dropped so far in quality over the years that I cannot even eat them anymore. The national chain product has changed so much over the years that I'm not even sure if they're still using actual cheese and real tomato sauce anymore. It's so sweet and sugary that it doesn't even taste like pizza to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that we are talking of Dominos in India, which is a somewhat different concept catering to the Indian palette..... no beef, no pork, non-veg is mostly chicken and lamb or goat meat, many more varieties in veg etc. Actually they are pretty good. And no, competition with Girodano's at any level is not an issue for them at all. :)

I thought Papa Johns was mainly focused on ignoring minimum wage law and fighting expanded healthcare. In any case all of the big three (Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns) have dropped so far in quality over the years that I cannot even eat them anymore. In fact the national chains have changed so much that I'm not even sure if they're using actual cheese and real tomato sauce anymore. It's so sweet and sugary that it doesn't even taste like pizza to me.
The seasoning packet that Papa John's uses for the sauce is 50% sugar and 50% random spices. I used to dump that thing into a tub of tomato sauce and stir it all together as part of the morning prep. That amount of sugar is rather ridiculous. I never put sugar in homemade tomato sauce.

Don't eat chain pizza, people. Unless you live in some place far removed for a locally-owned pizzeria. Luckily I live in the Chicago area where there in no need to resort to Dominios, Little Ceasars, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc.

And here we go again arguing about food. Nobody can say, for the masses, that one food is better than another. We all have our own different taste buds.

Thanks for the info folks, Chain Pizza just went on my do not eat list along with most fast food joints! ( I do try to shop @ mom and pops and healthier joints when possible!)

Interesting about Pizza in India, I knew lots of the Big Chains overseas use different ingredients and have different menus!

I haven't been in India since the Beatles were still Christian lads in suit and ties, would like to go back if only my finances allowed it!

I haven't been in India since the Beatles were still Christian lads in suit and ties, would like to go back if only my finances allowed it!
You just have to forgo one single one way Bedroom ride across the country on Amtrak to get a round trip ticket to India with enough money left over for several days of lodging and food to boot! :hi:

Interesting info on Indian trains jis!

I still occasionaly see the Chef and LSA board LD Trains with their own ingredients for making feasts for the crew!
I've seen employees at a Chinese restaurant dining. We got there late in the lunch hours and only a few were still working while most took their lunch break with employer-supplied food. It also looked pretty good even though it was in huge quantities and not the the fanciest looking.

Another deal was that the Chinese and Hispanic workers seemed to self-segregate at different tables. And these days any large Chinese restaurant might have as many Hispanic workers as Chinese.

Ugh. Now I want Chinese food. And Indian food. And Mexican food. And pizza.

Is it dinner time yet?

Tried one of these last night.

Bacon & Blue on Brioche

Rich, robust taste doesn't always have to come at a high price. Try Wendy's new Bacon & Blue on Brioche with savory Wisconsin blue cheese and Applewood-smoked bacon on a toasted brioche bun - rich, robust taste at a Wendy's price. Way better than an Amtrak Burger.

Deeee-Licious!

2evcndf.jpg

Bacon & Blue on Brioche

Rich, robust taste doesn't always have to come at a high price. Try Wendy's new Bacon & Blue on Brioche with savory Wisconsin blue cheese and Applewood-smoked bacon on a toasted brioche bun - rich, robust taste at a Wendy's price. Way better than an Amtrak Burger.

Deeee-Licious!

2evcndf.jpg
Had one the other night and was surprisingly good!

If you are in a Roomette, especially with another person and elect to carry on anything above a small Pizza, you will likely have to take it to the Lounge as now adding a Pizza Box to the mix of what you are putting in the Roomette may be too much. But if you take it to the Lounge, other pax may lay Siege on your table wanting to remove the Pizza from your possession! That is when I wish I could carry my Halberd with me to fend the Attackers off :)

Bacon & Blue on Brioche

Deeee-Licious!

2evcndf.jpg

I need to go your Wendy's. I tried one a few weeks ago and it was drier than the love(?) I receive from my mother-in-law!! :hi:

That being said, at one point in the 90's, Amtrak tossed around the idea of eliminating the dining car in favor of "food stops." First class passengers would receive food vouchers and everyone else would be on their own. It was becoming a logistical nightmare (as some mentioned above) and the idea was scrapped.

Do not be deceived by the looks of the above Burger as what you get in real life will indeed look more mundane. Advertisers (including Amtrak) go to great strides to make sure the product or service appears beyond perfect in the ads. In the case of food, it undergoes extensive Makeup much like an Actor/Actress/Model will before stepping before the camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back