Will Meals On Amtrak Eventually Migrate To THIS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One time I ordered to go from a full service restaurant to train 79 in Fredericksburg. I called them an hour in advance and the manager was waiting on the platform. I paid for it in cash. Got back on the train and it was quiet good.

Tried one of these last night.

Bacon & Blue on Brioche

Rich, robust taste doesn't always have to come at a high price. Try Wendy's new Bacon & Blue on Brioche with savory Wisconsin blue cheese and Applewood-smoked bacon on a toasted brioche bun - rich, robust taste at a Wendy's price. Way better than an Amtrak Burger.

Deeee-Licious!

2evcndf.jpg
Had one the other night and was surprisingly good!
As much as I hate to admit it, virtually ANY chain burger is WAY better than what you would get from an Amtrak LD diner. While many on this forum "rave" about the Angus Burger, I'd be SHOCKED if anyone preferred it in a "side-by-side" blind taste test.

Hey talk about a fun event for the GATHERING! I guess we'd have to actually board an LD train though, or come up with some way of getting a hold of some of Amtrak's stock.

I don't remember WHO Amtrak buys "groceries" from any more? Is it USFoods? Sysco? or some regional player? (Gordon's, Ben E. Keith, Performance....?) Anyways, if we found their supplier, it'd be easy enuff for Ryan to grill up a couple of AmBurgers in his kitchen, and we could have a tasting!

The supplier they use is Aramark, who, frankly, has an absolutely horrible track record. They ran my university dining halls - they're infamous for having barely edible food. Amtrak must be getting premium service compared to what I've seen from Aramark.

In short, blame the supplier, not Amtrak. Aramark is a horrible corporation that supplies sub-par food and prepares it in sub-par fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure Aramark is entirely to blame. In my experience with Sodexo (they have the food contract at my place of employment), a major competitor of Aramark, you get what you pay for. If you want high quality you can certainly get that, but it comes with a high(er) price. If you want low(ish) prices you can get that too, but it comes with lower quality.

But, I'm not here to defend Aramark (or Sodexo). Just to point out that it's probably more complicated than simply blaming the supplier.

If you are in a Roomette, especially with another person and elect to carry on anything above a small Pizza, you will likely have to take it to the Lounge as now adding a Pizza Box to the mix of what you are putting in the Roomette may be too much. But if you take it to the Lounge, other pax may lay Siege on your table wanting to remove the Pizza from your possession! That is when I wish I could carry my Halberd with me to fend the Attackers off :)
I think that you should be fine with that - or maybe an epee'.

I just looked at the rules, and:

Sharp objects, including but not limited to axes, ice picks, knives, spears, and swords

*Scissors, nail clippers, corkscrews, and razors are allowed in carry-on baggage.

**Sheathed equipment, to include fencing equipment, are allowed in checked baggage.

A halberd is not specifically listed as a prohibited weapon. The again, neither is my mace (as in the spiked-ball on a chain type) nor my set of bolos.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in a Roomette, especially with another person and elect to carry on anything above a small Pizza, you will likely have to take it to the Lounge as now adding a Pizza Box to the mix of what you are putting in the Roomette may be too much. But if you take it to the Lounge, other pax may lay Siege on your table wanting to remove the Pizza from your possession! That is when I wish I could carry my Halberd with me to fend the Attackers off :)
I think that you should be fine with that - or maybe an epee'.

I just looked at the rules, and:

Sharp objects, including but not limited to axes, ice picks, knives, spears, and swords

*Scissors, nail clippers, corkscrews, and razors are allowed in carry-on baggage.

**Sheathed equipment, to include fencing equipment, are allowed in checked baggage.

A halberd is not specifically listed as a prohibited weapon. The again, neither is my mace (as in the spiked-ball on a chain type) nor my set of bolos.
No, halberds, like other pole arms, are out because they're sharp, and really could you expect Amtrak to distinguish them from spears? (Another question would be why Amtrak has to specifically ban spears.)

The bolos would be okay, since they aren't sharp.

The thing on a chain, though is really a military flail, not a mace, which is a club. The things one remembers from mispending one's youth in the mid-70s, playing D&D.

Not sure Aramark is entirely to blame. In my experience with Sodexo (they have the food contract at my place of employment), a major competitor of Aramark, you get what you pay for. If you want high quality you can certainly get that, but it comes with a high(er) price. If you want low(ish) prices you can get that too, but it comes with lower quality.

But, I'm not here to defend Aramark (or Sodexo). Just to point out that it's probably more complicated than simply blaming the supplier.
Well, both Aramark, and Sodexho are "Contract Caterers", not broadline food service providers, they both have to buy their groceries from someone, I'm trying to determine which "food service provider" supplies Aramark/Amtrak with the actual food product.

Aramark trucks may (may not) deliver food to Amtrak's commissaries, but Aramark buys their groceries from somebody..................

Of course it comes down to the QUALITY of what they buy and offer-Aramark has the Commissary Contract for our County Jail. Since they are nation-wide, I imagine they have numerous contractors they buy from.

Do not be deceived by the looks of the above Burger as what you get in real life will indeed look more mundane. Advertisers (including Amtrak) go to great strides to make sure the product or service appears beyond perfect in the ads. In the case of food, it undergoes extensive Makeup much like an Actor/Actress/Model will before stepping before the camera
"Makeup" hasn't been allowed for a while. One of the things that was formerly used was vegetable oil spread on beef patties to give an impression that it wasn't dry. Now what they likely did with that photo was carefully select every piece that went into that one burger.
Now they do use "stylists" who use tweezers. Another thing is not fully cooking since it'll just look limp after an hour.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101664104

Well, both Aramark, and Sodexho are "Contract Caterers", not broadline food service providers, they both have to buy their groceries from someone, I'm trying to determine which "food service provider" supplies Aramark/Amtrak with the actual food product.

Aramark trucks may (may not) deliver food to Amtrak's commissaries, but Aramark buys their groceries from somebody..................
Aramark can put together some really good food, but they have tiers of service, basically a "get what you pay for" system. If Amtrak wanted to pay more, they could get much better quality out of Aramark. Unfortunately we know that's not going to happen.

The supplier they use is Aramark, who, frankly, has an absolutely horrible track record. They ran my university dining halls - they're infamous for having barely edible food. Amtrak must be getting premium service compared to what I've seen from Aramark.

In short, blame the supplier, not Amtrak. Aramark is a horrible corporation that supplies sub-par food and prepares it in sub-par fashion.
My university president (well, this was a couple presidents ago now) "fired" Aramark after an AWFUL meal they prepared for visiting dignitaries. I was told there were three levels of service, premium, upgraded, and regular - the kids eating in the dorms got "regular," but the "premium" was supposed to be used for the dignitaries and either it was not, or the "premium" was really awful.

We use Sodexho now. I don't eat in the cafeteria often but the couple of times I have they seem to be acceptable.

Do not be deceived by the looks of the above Burger as what you get in real life will indeed look more mundane. Advertisers (including Amtrak) go to great strides to make sure the product or service appears beyond perfect in the ads. In the case of food, it undergoes extensive Makeup much like an Actor/Actress/Model will before stepping before the camera
I remember Amtrak vacation guides with photos of actors who were so enthralled and enthusiastic they looked downright creepy. Amtrak also spent years talking about celebrity chefs making sous-vide meals that I never saw. Then a couple years ago Amtrak actually started improving their menu with new and tastier options that even an old crank like me could enjoy and recommend to others. It seemed the diner was finally starting to live up to more of its potential. Unfortunately it wasn't long before the Micas and Shusters of the world starting gaining traction in their war against Amtrak. Before long AmChow began retreating back toward an ever more limited selection of bland and frozen junk food. Such a pity.

Aramark can put together some really good food, but they have tiers of service, basically a "get what you pay for" system. If Amtrak wanted to pay more, they could get much better quality out of Aramark. Unfortunately we know that's not going to happen.
Massive food service preparers such as Aramark need to be given explicit instructions if you want a quality result. Otherwise they will defer to the cheapest and most generic ingredients prepared in the fastest and simplest method possible. You can probably achieve a fresher and tastier result by working with regional providers that supply one or two stations each, but who at the home office is going to volunteer to negotiate and monitor dozens of regional caterers instead of one or two nationwide conglomerates?

Agreed. To give an example, when Aramark had both the contracts for William and Mary and the Acela, I once saw an Acela FC dessert show up at a high-end W&M auction. Trust me, the cafeteria was not serving the same thing on the meal plan.

We'll, I'd just love to find out the exact product code for the Angus Burger, and I'd be willing to buy a case of the pre-cooked, frozen patties, for said potential test. I have three teenager still at home, trust me, they won't last long.....

Maybe stick your nose in the kitchen and ask to see the box that they come in? If you get a friendly crew, they may give you a hand.
I would, trust me, but don't have any LD trips planned 'til Mid-May. (RT on Cap to Chicago for NRA show, That's National Restaurant Association...............)

You wanna to shoot up a restaurant convention over stale burgers? I'd rather see you post a video where you dumpster dive outside an Amtrak commissary. We need covert intel.

It's been a long time since I lived on the west side of Chicago,,,

we never went downtown for pie

We had Slicker Sam's Beer Garden (25th and Lake?)

and Salerno's on 16th street, of all places, Berwyn

now that was pie

You wanna to shoot up a restaurant convention over stale burgers? I'd rather see you post a video where you dumpster dive outside an Amtrak commissary. We need covert intel.
"Dumpster Diving"... Man, it's been FOREVER since I've done that!

Still, if anyone knows who Aramark buys the Angus Burger from, chime in. I've pinged a few acquaintances at Aramark, but it's out of their division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back