Will seat cushion need a doctor’s note?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have arthritis in my tailbone (isn’t that special 😕) and need a special seat cushion when I have to be seated for a long time. I’m taking the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Austin, TX, and I want to bring my cushion, but does it have to count as my personal item, or will I be allowed to bring it on the train in addition to my personal item and 2 carry-on bags? Should I get some kind of note from my doctor? I’ll be in a roomette. (I know this is a really minor concern, but I wasn’t sure where to post this.)

TIA!

I have arthritis in my tailbone (isn’t that special 😕) and need a special seat cushion when I have to be seated for a long time. I’m taking the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Austin, TX, and I want to bring my cushion, but does it have to count as my personal item, or will I be allowed to bring it on the train in addition to my personal item and 2 carry-on bags? Should I get some kind of note from my doctor? I’ll be in a roomette. (I know this is a really minor concern, but I wasn’t sure where to post this.)

TIA!
You shouldn't have any problem carrying the Cushion aboard along with your personal item.No Dr note should be needed.

Since Chicago and Austin have Checked Bag Service, you may want to just carry on what you'll need for the trip and check your Largest Bag.

i'd also say that having a Redcap take you from the Lounge to the Train is a good idea, just let the Attendant @ the Check-In desk know you'd like one.(don't forget to tip )

You shouldn't have any problem carrying the Cushion aboard along with your personal item.No Dr note should be needed.

Since Chicago and Austin have Checked Bag Service, you may want to just carry on what you'll need for the trip and check your Largest Bag.

i'd also say that having a Redcap take you from the Lounge to the Train is a good idea, just let the Attendant @ the Check-In desk know you'd like one.(don't forget to tip )
Thanks so much!

Both of my bags are quite small — a 21” wheeled suitcase and a smaller knapsack-type bag that stacks on top of it. My official “personal item” is a small shoulder bag that holds my iPad and other tech accessories. I think I’d feel a bit silly asking for a red cap’s help when there will be people with a lot more stuff than me. (Of course, if one is just hanging out, looking for something to do… )

I figure I can carry my cushion (it has a pouch) and my iPad bag on my shoulder, and wheel the rest. I can put the 21” bag in the storage area on the lower level, and only take the cushion, the knapsack, and iPad bag to my roomette.

I find that despite the published "rules" about Amtrak baggage, I have never seen any passenger being challenged about the amount of luggage they bring aboard. I am sure that your cushion will be quite acceptable, do not concern yourself in the slightest.
do they ever use the scales (for weight and/or height) that some stations have?

Last edited:
In all my years of train riding, I've never seen crew stop people from bringing aboard the train whatever they could personally carry, at one time. Although if someone seems to be "moving", and making multiple trips aboard, that may be stopped...

Jacksonville weighs checked bags. I boarded in coach once on a trip to NY with a small roll on and a duffle I had bungeed to the top and they asked me if the combined weight was under 50 pounds. I pulled off the bungee and loaded them separately and they were happy with that. When I headed home from NWK, they didn't even bat an eyelash ... just tossed both items up to me after I boarded.

TIA!
I love this question! Just before reading it, I had said to hubby, "I'd rather get my teeth worked on than go through another airport." We've done a fair amount of coast-to-coast train travel in roomettes and never once worried about how much we were carrying. To fly to the same destination recently, we downsized to bags carrying no more than 14 pounds each and still it was a nerve-wracking experience. I'm going to hazard a guess that your concerns were created by the airline industry. Relax and enjoy your train trip! Just remember, it gets there when it feels like it, the journey is the reward, and bring non-perishable food if you don't like the Dinty Moore beef stew they serve when the train is so late they have to feed you again. 😁

I'm happy to say that my bags are all under the required weight limit. I was just worried about adding an additional item. I even measured everything. I have a feeling that on my next train trip I will be a little less OCD. (Said the woman who has already packed for a trip that begins on January 25. ☺️)

I love this question! Just before reading it, I had said to hubby, "I'd rather get my teeth worked on than go through another airport." We've done a fair amount of coast-to-coast train travel in roomettes and never once worried about how much we were carrying. To fly to the same destination recently, we downsized to bags carrying no more than 14 pounds each and still it was a nerve-wracking experience. I'm going to hazard a guess that your concerns were created by the airline industry. Relax and enjoy your train trip! Just remember, it gets there when it feels like it, the journey is the reward, and bring non-perishable food if you don't like the Dinty Moore beef stew they serve when the train is so late they have to feed you again. 😁
Hmm ... I may just try to fit a couple of PB&Js into my carry-on. Thanks for the warning! 😄

Not that worried about the time -- I love trains because they are about the journey. And because they don't expect me to navigate an airport and ride in some contraption that flies, but no one can explain how that's possible. 😆

Hmm ... I may just try to fit a couple of PB&Js into my carry-on. Thanks for the warning! 😄

Not that worried about the time -- I love trains because they are about the journey. And because they don't expect me to navigate an airport and ride in some contraption that flies, but no one can explain how that's possible. 😆
Call me a minimalist...but on long-distance trains I skip the PB&Js and just tuck a jar of peanut butter into my bag and eat it with a spoon. That's my emergency ration. Nutritious and filling.

There are some brands of peanut butter that come in a squeeze pouch. It might be a little easier to pack. It's probably what astronauts eat!
I think I have an inflatable neck pillow. I wonder if inflatable seat pads are available?

Back