Will this work to redeem AGR trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love2travel

Train Attendant
Will this work as a two-zone trip? Chicago to Sacramento on the Zephyr, then the CS up to Seattle? I would need the family bedroom. Is there a family bedroom on the CS? I am hoping to do this at Christmas. If I book before April 1 will this be 30,000 pts? Then I will take the EB from Sea to CHi in family bedroom. Is this a 2 zone trip for 30,000 in a family bedroom also?

Thanks,

Sue

Since Chicago to Seattle via Sacramento does show up in the system, it would be a 2 Zone trip provided you do not "break connection" in SAC. Since there is only 1 Family Bedroom per Sleeper, you'll want to book as soon as possible. And if I understand the new Points values, you should be alright if you book before 1 APR.

Builder back from SEA is also 2 Zone.

Actually, I will be spending a few nights in Seattle. So, I'm hoping it is a 2 zone trip from CHI-Sacramento-Seattle. Then a few days later from SEA-CHI. Hope that makes sense.

Sue

Actually, the BIG problem might be avoiding traveling on days that are blacked out around Christmas. For 2012, you cannot start your trips on, or transfer between the CZ & CS, on any of the following dates Dec 20-23 and Dec 26-30 and January 2, 2013.

So for example, if you left Chicago on the 18th on the Zephyr, you'd get to Sacramento on the 20th. The 20th is a blackout date, so you would not be allowed to book that train on your award. You could only get to Sacramento on an award. Now if you left on the 17th, then you'd be fine, as the transfer would occur on the 19th in SAC. The fact that you'd be arriving into Seattle on the 20th would not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BIG problem is that the CS arrives in CHI
:blink:

The Coast Starlight runs to Chicago now? :p

What the OP wants to do (Chicago to Sacramento to Seattle, changing in SAC) will work.
My bad!
ohmy.gif
I can't read!
blush.gif

Besides you know I take the long way. For me, the CS does go to CHI!
laugh.gif
(I've got connections!
mosking.gif
)

Back