Winter Chicago Trip - CL or LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
All,

Got lucky on my last trip to Chicago, leaving as an ice storm was hitting Albany area; trains in subsequent days were hours late. I seem to recall, also, another major weather problem affecting the LSL.

Seems I don't hear (or maybe pay attention to) weather problems that could cause delays on the CL.

Am in the process of scheduling a mid-February trip, would appreciate opinions or experiences for these winter trips

:)

I think one reason you don't hear as much about CL weather delays is that the CL goes from CHI to CLE and then turns southeast to WAS. The LSL goes from CHI to CLE, but then continues E/NE to BUF then east thru ROC and SYR - that's lake effect snow area!

I would expect the LSL to have a chance to be more affected by winter weather. But still, on my next trip in March, I plan to take the LSL NYP-CHI. And a few years ago, I took the LSL in January with no weather problems.

Superliners tend to handle the cold much better than Amfleets (not sure about Viewliners, but I think I've heard they are a bit vulnerable too).

I took a r/t a couple years back via Capitol and Cardinal. The Capitol trip, though fouled by freight congestion was ok. the Cardinal trip was troublesome in that the lines kept freezing - as such we rarely had coffee available to drink.

After CLE the CL goes South and by ALC they're almost out of the Lake Erie snow belt. From then on it gets better.

Single level cars will be more prone to freeze up, but the real delays will be based on trackage.

I think we'll take the LSL to CHI, and keep fingers crossed! I do like the LSL cars vs. the CL double-decker, even though always take that returning from CHI. :)

We took the LSL from CHI to NYP two years ago when there was over 100 inches of snow on the ground in Upstate New York. No problem. We were late arriving CLE due to freight traffic and chugged the rest of the way to New York. No freeze-ups and plenty of food. It was a good trip. I haven't been on the LSL during the winter months since that trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back