Winter Getaway on the CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello all, just recently joined a Church Singles Group here in Lincoln NE. As they were leading me all around the church to different tables, the "singles" table had brochures of upcoming trips, dinners out etc. There sitting in front of me was a flyer called "Singles Winter Escape on Amtrak" to Glenwood Springs CO. I about died! :rolleyes: I grabbed the flyer and said, "I've ridden Amtrak four times this year, I love riding the CZ and I have been to GSC three times this year!" The woman behind the desk stated: "Its a popular trip but last year the trip was so late, that we may charter buses after this year." Well....if its up to me, they need to be educated about the "priority" Amtrak doesn't get over the freight railroads. The brochure talked about leaving "promptly" at midnight and returning to LNK at 4:11am. (the CZ is never near the 4am returning time) So maybe I can take some interest in this certain "activity" and work with the individuals to educate people on the "positives" of train travel and enlighten them to "sit back, relax and let the train take you to the mountains". Any helpful ideas on helping me keep Amtrak the sole carrier of this "getaway" please give me some more good hints. I'm really looking forward to it. My ex-girlfriend was very instrumental in getting me to ride Amtrak the first time. Even though she liked it, I LOVED it. And I have been a little nervous about climbing aboard again for the first time and without her. A singles group would be the perfect medicine for a smashed heart.

rail rookie,

I was once part of a church singles group before getting married. This group also planned getway trips and a big factor was cost, $$$$. Singles look to travel cheap, at least this group did. If the trip by rail is cheaper for each person, this could be a huge selling point. If the train cost more, then how about using the recent blizzard in Denver as an example. The buses might not make it through to Glenwood Springs, but the train would get there (late, but at least it got there per Amtrak Train Status). Just thoughts to try and help.

Guest just checking out this site

Any helpful ideas on helping me keep Amtrak the sole carrier of this "getaway" please give me some more good hints. I'm really looking forward to it.
You could mention the possibility for romance is much greater on a train with sleepers than on a bus.

Dinker....that was great!!!!! :lol: Romance might be a little hard to sell (out loud) on a " christian" singles trip, allthough none of us are naive!!!! ;) I'm going to be involved in this "getaway" as much as possible and I definately want some good "ammo" to make for sure Amtrak gets the nod for 2008. The thing that struck me was the "approximate" times when the group would be leaving and arriving in Lincoln. I knew right there I was going to have some work to do. I hadn't thought about the recent blizzard in Denver. Everyone is talking about that at this present moment. Thanks!

LOL...LOL...You guys are too much...Listen, if you want a tip from an old pro, you need to get your behinds into that natural hot springs spa at Glenwood Springs. It's the closest thing to the "fountain of youth". My wife and I climbed into that bad boy last year and came out feeling 20 years younger..at least it felt like it. That was after just a 45 minute soaking during snow showers . So for a young guy on a singles church outing....well, the sky's the limit!! Have fun.

Wb

Hello all, just recently joined a Church Singles Group here in Lincoln NE. As they were leading me all around the church to different tables, the "singles" table had brochures of upcoming trips, dinners out etc. There sitting in front of me was a flyer called "Singles Winter Escape on Amtrak" to Glenwood Springs CO. I about died! :rolleyes: I grabbed the flyer and said, "I've ridden Amtrak four times this year, I love riding the CZ and I have been to GSC three times this year!" The woman behind the desk stated: "Its a popular trip but last year the trip was so late, that we may charter buses after this year." Well....if its up to me, they need to be educated about the "priority" Amtrak doesn't get over the freight railroads. The brochure talked about leaving "promptly" at midnight and returning to LNK at 4:11am. (the CZ is never near the 4am returning time) So maybe I can take some interest in this certain "activity" and work with the individuals to educate people on the "positives" of train travel and enlighten them to "sit back, relax and let the train take you to the mountains". Any helpful ideas on helping me keep Amtrak the sole carrier of this "getaway" please give me some more good hints. I'm really looking forward to it. My ex-girlfriend was very instrumental in getting me to ride Amtrak the first time. Even though she liked it, I LOVED it. And I have been a little nervous about climbing aboard again for the first time and without her. A singles group would be the perfect medicine for a smashed heart.
You might to tell them about the AAA Discount that Amtrak is offering for the first 3 months of 2007.

You could mention the possibility for romance is much greater on a train with sleepers than on a bus.
The thoughts of 'romance' in the tight sleeping quarters makes me laugh! Then again, a singles class would probably be travelling by coach so the prospects are even slimmer.

I don't think a church group is going to care whether the freights get precedent on the tracks. They are just interested in the cheapest mode of transportation that is available in a given town (if Southwest Airlines flew from your town to the destination, they'd probably be taking it).

Last edited by a moderator:
The thoughts of 'romance' in the tight sleeping quarters makes me laugh!
The Superliner Sleeperette is definitly better than 8x seater European Coach compartment. It always was done in 8x seater and as novadays the better 6x seater compartments are more common, still is done in the 6x seater. Compared with these, the sleeperette is a superb place. In a sleeperette for the romance the sky is the limit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back