Winter Sale, 20% off Fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadia

OBS Chief
Today I got an email announcing Amtrak's Winter Sale, 20% off selected routes, here are the details from the site:

Terms & Conditions

This sale fare is only available for purchase on Amtrak.com.

Valid on the following services: Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, Auto Train and Crescent.

Valid for discounted one-way Coach fares only; no sleeper or Business class upgrades allowed. Additional vehicle charges apply for Auto Train service.

Valid for sale January 7 - January 21, 2009.

Valid for travel January 23 - April 5, 2009.

Up to two children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half the regular (full) adult.

Blackout dates:

- February 13, 2009

- February 16, 2009

Advance ticket purchase is required a minimum of three (3) days prior to travel.

Fares are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted for other rail fare purchases.

Seats are limited and fares may not be available on all trains at all times.

Not valid for onboard purchase.

Not combinable with any other discount offer.

Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice.

Other restrictions may apply.

I am sure I am going to want some kind of quick getaway in the next month or two! Pretty much socked into cabin fever here with all this gloom and rain in the PNW.

I just got that e-mail as well and wonder if the double AGR promotion applies as well. If that's the case, a couple short trips can really stack on some points and leave a few bucks in the billfold.

I did some quick checks on the AMTRAK on-line reservation system and found that you must list yourself as passenger type "ADULT" to get the 20% off. When I choose the passenger type "NARP" or "Senior (62+)" the fare was calculated based on the normal discount for that passenger type, not the 20% rale sale. In other words, this is not a combinable discount. Also, when I added a business class accomodation the 20% discount on the rail fare dissapeared.

I don't know! But just keep in mind one of the restrictions:
Fares are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted for other rail fare purchases.
Remember that fares like AAA or NARP are refundable, this "sale fare" is not!

Yeah, but luckily you can transfer it to a voucher for future travel which for pretty much everyone on this board is going to be taking at some point :lol: . This sale really is pretty limiting I mean sure you can get a cheap rate to Florida which is good, but if you want to catch a ride in a sleeper then you just have to pay the old full bucked coach. Unless you use your AAA or NARP or SA discounts. This promotion also really doesn't do much for senior citizens who get 15% off everyday anyway.

Latest posts

Back