Winter Storm 2024 cancellations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the part I don't understand... at first blush, looking at Amtrak's notice, it appears that all the Wolverines are cancelled on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, due to conditions. Then I looked again. Train 350, which is the early morning departure out of Chicago, is operating all 3 days (and was on time today according to transitdocs), and the late night Westbound train 355 is also operating. The weather conditions are not going to be any better in the early or late hours, in fact with reduced visibility, might even be worse, depending on temps, winds, and precipitation (or lack of it). So is it really honest to blame this on the weather? I suppose it's a good thing if they are redirecting all the passengers from the other 2 trains in both directions, bustitution or 350/355. But what a strange paradigm we find ourselves in, for all the factors being discussed here, it's still weird to ponder that we are trending towards a society that can function only as long as the weather is good. Grateful that we had all those winter adventures on Amtrak in the past, becoming a rarity now and this year we adjusted our planning by a month, when it was still in the 40s.

Amtrak is finally admitting that it does not have enough reliable locos. The addition of another loco to normal 1 or 2 loco trains is very enlightening. As well the P-42s - DC traction motors do not like certain kinds of snow.

Another example of management deliberate lack of foresight. Management knew when the FY2022 started ( Oct 2021 ) that it would have enough funds. But did it even try to hire any maintenance? No! it was almost May 2022 when it started some hiring with not many maintenance openings.

These problems aren't just happening on Amtrak.

https://patch.com/maryland/pikesvil...c2a45f5f14245d2&lctg=64a371dda40b433c6b07b27f
This storm was about 3-4 inches with temperatures in the high 20s, topping at 34. I had to go downtown yesterday, and except for having to clear my car off, it was no big deal. The roads were perfectly clear.
My daughter took a flight out of PHL last night. The inbound plane was late and once onboard they were taxiing for almost 2 hours per FlightAware.

The evidence is starting to circle around engine availability in the pool of equipment for the Midwest Corridor services. The engines in that pool consist mostly of Chargers owned by the states of Illinois and Michigan.
At times during last years winter weather the EB had assists from BNSF to weather the terrain and
Amtraks unreliable fancy LED locomotives. The usual consist was augmented with an additional
Amtrak non-LED locomotive or a contracted BNSF heavy duty freight locomotive.

At times during last years winter weather the EB had assists from BNSF to weather the terrain and
Amtraks unreliable fancy LED locomotives. The usual consist was augmented with an additional
Amtrak non-LED locomotive or a contracted BNSF heavy duty freight locomotive.
I don’t believe the builder cancellations were equipment related. The primary reason was the situation and conditions out on the line.

I remember when GN, NP, UP rarely cancelled a train, and this was when they heated with steam. Maybe those Budd, Pullman-Standard and ACF cars were properly insulated.

I’m increasingly convinced it is an issue with motive power. Amtrak figured a way to keep the passenger cars rolling for close to 40 years before this became such a regular issue. The Budd Amfleets even famously don’t like snow. The Class I’s certainly haven’t suspended operations for the better part of two weeks, even if MOW wasn’t what it once was. It seems to center around Chicago, whose maintenance facility has been notoriously useless since about the 1950‘s. They also make significant use of the SC-44 locomotive, which is new

I’m increasingly convinced it is an issue with motive power.

More so on the Midwest lines than the long distance cancellations.

The Class I’s certainly haven’t suspended operations for the better part of two weeks, even if MOW wasn’t what it once was.

BNSF had significant disruptions along the three east-west long distance lines that were canceled. It was not even close to business as usual.

Last edited:
I’m increasingly convinced it is an issue with motive power. Amtrak figured a way to keep the passenger cars rolling for close to 40 years before this became such a regular issue. The Budd Amfleets even famously don’t like snow. The Class I’s certainly haven’t suspended operations for the better part of two weeks, even if MOW wasn’t what it once was. It seems to center around Chicago, whose maintenance facility has been notoriously useless since about the 1950‘s. They also make significant use of the SC-44 locomotive, which is new
BNSF was stalled in Nebraska hence the cancellation of 5 & 6 between CHI and DEN several days.

Not even a dusting since 36 hours ago. No precip tomorrow. Now granted the western part of the state always has lake effect snow, that hangs around, whereas here in the Eastern part of lower MI, we have less accumulation, but this never resulted in having to cancel so many trains. And yet only 350/355 today and tomorrow. The comments about specific equipment (cars, or locomotives) are beyond my train knowledge. Are we saying that Amtrak planned to deploy equipment to run its Michigan services.. that can't handle even mild winter conditions?

Not even a dusting since 36 hours ago. No precip tomorrow. Now granted the western part of the state always has lake effect snow, that hangs around, whereas here in the Eastern part of lower MI, we have less accumulation, but this never resulted in having to cancel so many trains. And yet only 350/355 today and tomorrow. The comments about specific equipment (cars, or locomotives) are beyond my train knowledge. Are we saying that Amtrak planned to deploy equipment to run its Michigan services.. that can't handle even mild winter conditions?

No one really knows the exact specifics - but there’s been some anecdotal reports that SC44 engines have been difficult to keep on the road with material lead times being a big challenge. So the turnaround time for getting the equipment back into service makes it challenging to maintain enough needed for service. As an example one of the units that had to undergo wreck repairs from a collision was out of commission for 3 years. Supply chain has apparently been a challenge with these units all along. Additionally per some other reports on another board they were running double trains with double engines during the recent inclement weather which cuts your your pool of engines in half (and makes it outright impossible to run full service on the routes that rely on the Midwest state owned equipment.)

Empire Builder is paying the price big time..... Such a shame, Amtrak wants money and has a meltdown when they should be able to run, maybe each way every other day atleast, but no, cancel both ways entirely
I'm going to link this video showing the challenges 3 years ago of running the empire builder. BNSF for whatever reason is using electric heaters in an area known for losing power and had to bring in generators for signals and crossings. Western Pacific on their rural sections for decades beginning in the 50s when CTC was installed had 2 generators at every signal hut but those were used 24/7 as the line didn't have easy access to reliable power.

The U.S. Weather Service is forecasting up to 10 feet of snow beginning tomorrow until Sunday in the California Sierras above 5,000 feet. The snowbound "City of San Francisco" on the same route in 1952 was stuck for three days and finally evacuated. I have to wonder if Amtrak will cancel the "California Zephyr" until this storm passes. Link to article below.
https://www.sierrasun.com/news/history-the-1952-snowbound-streamliner-passenger-train/

Amtrak Weather Related...
Travel Alert | Safety Closures

The following roads are closed due to adverse weather conditions and/or multiple stuck vehicles

I-70 both directions between Silverthorne Milepost 205 and Denver Milepost 259
US 40 (I-70 Frontage road) both directions from I-70 / MP 259 to US-6 Clear Creek Canyon
US 40 Berthoud Pass from MP 256-243
US 6 Loveland Pass from MP 222-229
CO 119 both directions from Blackhawk Milepost 1 to US 6 Milepost 7
US 285 Southbound just south of C-470 is closed due to a jacknifed semi truck
Multiple other routes may be blocked due to crashes, stuck semi trucks and other issues. Delays are likely on any roadway impacted by the storm

Weather Alert | Winter Storm Warning Statewide
Strong Storm impacting Metro and Mountain Areas - Travel is strongly discouraged

Major Snow System currently impacting Colorado. Snow totals measured in feet have multiple roadways closed across many mountain passes. Heavy, wet, deep snow has blanketed the foothills and Metro areas and the I-25 corridor. Persons without adequate equipment shoud not travel during this storm event, many roadways are blocked or otherwise have limited access due to stuck vehicles.

https://www.cotrip.org/home#notifications

Last edited:
Back