Winter Storm for Wednesday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
The forcast is for a low-pressure system to move up the Conneticut coast Tuesday night into Wednsday possibly dumping 4-8 inches of snow in Southern New England. This means moderate delays to NEC trains between BOS-NYC are likely. Remember this is the busiest time of the year for travel, but only as time plays out will we know how trains will be effected?

This also may mean no school for me on Wednesday. Oh yeah. :D

It's not always the amount of snow on the ground, but rather the seeing and road conditions. If conditions are bad then the buses won't be sent out. Thus no school. However, this is a once in a year type of thing as the Cape usually gets rain so everyones hyped up about it. This is probably the same with you Viewliner so keep your fingers crossed.

Why, are those sleigh bells I hear. :rolleyes:

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
I either miss that 1/2 day B) or take a Biology Enriched Test on the Digestive System :( :(
When I was in school in the NE everytime it was supposed to snow and the weather people hyped it to death there was either just a dusting or rain. So as my parents used to tell me better study for that test :)

Amfleet said:
The forcast is for a low-pressure system to move up the Conneticut coast Tuesday night into Wednsday possibly dumping 4-8 inches of snow in Southern New England. This means moderate delays to NEC trains between BOS-NYC are likely. Remember this is the busiest time of the year for travel, but only as time plays out will we know how trains will be effected?
Rail is supposed to be the all-weather mode. While snowy weather will play havoc at the airports, Amtrak should come through it fine, albeit with some unavoidable delays.

Now yes, Wednesday is one of the busiest travel days of the year, and everything will be crowded. All trains are running on a reserved status for the holiday period, so the trains would not be able to accomodate any refugees from the airports who might look to change their minds about flying or sleeping stranded in an airport.

Amtrak has made it though some much worse storms before, than the one that has been predicted. And I regularly don't believe any of those TV or radio "weathermen" or "weatherwomen" with all those credentials, until the flakes start to fall and the ground begins to turn white.

I have School, but it's only a half day. :unsure:

In fact I'm posting from there now.

Snow didn't really stick to the roads, but it did on the trees and grass, and boy is it beautiful.

I saw an add about NJ Transit having a large drop in their on time performance which can be attributed to their new equipment.

Well, back when I was a kid they wouldn't cancel school unless there was 8 FEET of snow falling and then we still had to walk 12 miles to and from school. It was uphill both ways, of course. :D

seajay

Well I'm off to the usual Cape Cod winter. Snow everywhere else, but rain for us, however, it just chaned over to snow. Going to school was fine with me as it was only a half day, plus it was the last day of spirit week and all the halls were decorated in funky themes.

As for Amtrak, the local news did a report earlier form South Station. Most trains were on time and the crowds looked heavy (along with the snow). All in all another New England pre-Thanksgiving. B)

seajay said:
Well, back when I was a kid they wouldn't cancel school unless there was 8 FEET of snow falling and then we still had to walk 12 miles to and from school.  It was uphill both ways, of course.   :D
seajay
Barefoot too!

spot

spot1181 said:
seajay said:
Well, back when I was a kid they wouldn't cancel school unless there was 8 FEET of snow falling and then we still had to walk 12 miles to and from school.  It was uphill both ways, of course.   :D
seajay
Barefoot too!

spot
And in a gale with white out conditions :)

I'm more concerned about today. We're getting a nice amount of snow here in NJ. I even got an early dissmissal out of it. :)

Well as of 1:00 pm, the average delay on the NEC seems to be about 20 - 25 minutes. So the corridor seems to be holding up well.

However, I've seen reports that south of DC there are lots of problems with both Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express. Train 86 is running over an hour late, and Silver Service along with the Crescent is a mess. All trains are suggesting that you call Amtrak for updated info. The last postings on the train status site, list delays of several hours. 98/4 was running over 7 hours late.

At least the trains are RUNNING! The airports are getting slamed. The Cape is expected to get 10-12 inches including the immediate coast of Connecticut and Rohde Island.

It seems as if hell froze over fo a time being on the Southeastern LD's. A post a Trainorders stated that the #20(4) the Crescent is extreemly late due to down powerlines and trees in the Charlottesville, Va area. Here are the stats:

#20(4) - 10 hours late (13:08 Charlottesville, VA)

#98(4) - 7 1/2 hours late (13:19 Washington, DC)

#92(4) - 4 3/4 hours late (8:20 Southern Pines, SC)

#90(4) - 2 hours late (13:57 Rocky Mount, NC)

#19(4) - 7 1/2 hours late (13:37 Spartanburg, SC)

#97(4) - 7 1/2 hours late (11:42 Savannah, GA)

#91(4) - 4 1/2 hours late (15:01 Deland, FL)

#89(4) - 2 1/2 hous late (14:29 Miami, FL) *ARRIVED*

Ouch!!!

Hope the next trains turn out better. I don't know what the story is with EWR, at least it has a rail station (The Best Rail-Airport Connection in the country).

That brings up a question, why does the Acela stop at BWI, yet skip EWR (Newark International Airport, NJ)?

Amfleet said:
It seems as if hell froze over fo a time being on the Southeastern LD's.
Well I suppose to some extent, you could say that. Parts of North Carolina were hit by a major ice storm; Charlotte is particularly bad. Many areas have between 1/4 to 1 inch of ice on everything.

As for the NEC, as of 3:30 pm all trains are still running. Average delay has increased to about 30 minutes. That however is a far cry from the delays at the airports here in NYC. At last count over 100 flights have been canceled. Delays are over 8 hours at LaGuardia, 6 at Newark, 2+ at JFK.

Viewliner said:
That brings up a question, why does the Acela stop at BWI, yet skip EWR (Newark International Airport, NJ)?
That's actually a very good question, and has even been mentioned on a few other BB's. No one seems to have an answer.

One would think that as popular as that stop is, that some express trains would stop there. Also you've got that code share with Continental Airlines, which many business people would probably take advantage of.

The only answers that I can think of are: One, they don't want to increase the travel time between DC and NYP. Two, they figure that NJT already gives frequent service to EWR, supplemented by the regionals from Amtrak.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
That's actually a very good question, and has even been mentioned on a few other BB's. No one seems to have an answer.

One would think that as popular as that stop is, that some express trains would stop there. Also you've got that code share with Continental Airlines, which many business people would probably take advantage of.

The only answers that I can think of are: One, they don't want to increase the travel time between DC and NYP. Two, they figure that NJT already gives frequent service to EWR, supplemented by the regionals from Amtrak.
Then why bother to have the expresses stop at BWI?

Viewliner said:
Then why bother to have the expresses stop at BWI?
My guess is that BWI won by default. The Metroliners always stopped there, so when Acela came along to replace the Metroliners, they just kept the stop. It almost as hard to take away service, as it is to get it started and EWR didn't exist when Acela started up.

I never have really understood why any Amtrak trains stop at these airport stops. Both airports are within 10 miles of major cities so it's not like a 20 minutes ride on a commuter will hurt. Plus, passengers are not going to travel from lets say Philadelphia to BWI or EWR for an ariport when one is already convinently located in that city.

You'll see 3-4 hour delays at LGA in a typical rain storm. This morning they were talking on CNN about the situation in North Carolina all the way up to Richmond as being incredibly icy. Hard to run trains in really icy conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back