Winter Storm for Wednesday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tp49 said:
Hard to run trains in really icy conditions.
Plus, it's even harder to run them when the storm has left over a Million people without any power. If that many homes are in the dark, I have to believe that there are many switches and signals that are out also.

Amfleet said:
I never have really understood why any Amtrak trains stop at these airport stops. Both airports are within 10 miles of major cities so it's not like a 20 minutes ride on a commuter will hurt. Plus, passengers are not going to travel from lets say Philadelphia to BWI or EWR for an ariport when one is already convinently located in that city.
Actually many people from the Philly area will travel to Newark, as there are more flights to more places than in Philly. Plus with the way traffic is in Philly around the airport, it might actually be easier to take the train to EWR.

Now for the commuter trains. Ever try to carry three suitcases onto one? :eek: It's a nightmare, as most commuter trains have no place for luggage. So in that respect Amtrak serves a good purpose, as all of it's trains can handle some luggage. :)

Well the logic behind that is; it's far more likely that a business traveler, as opposed to a family, would be making an airport connection. The reason for this is it can get rather expensive for a family of 4 to take the train to the plane.

On the other hand a business traveler has an expense account, plus they are most likely going downtown into a city. So they won't need a rental car if they can take a train. A business person however, would be in a bigger hurry than would a family, so they'd want a faster train.

Plus in the case of Newark & Newark Airport, there are 3 times as many hotels at the airport than there are in Newark. So a business traveler would be more inclinded to stay there as opposed to Newark. Yes, if they are headed for NYC, then they will probably stay there.

On the other hand if I lived in DC, and I needed to come up to NYC for work, I might well take an Express to EWR. Then ride NJT into the city each day. The reason for this is hotels are far more expensive in NYC than they are at EWR.

So it's kind of debatable, as to what's best. Frankly the best answer would be as follows. First, get Amtrak the money it needs to get the bulk of the WAS-NYC corridor up to a 150mph speed limit. Second, alternate the Acela Express trains to stop at Metro Park this hour, then EWR next hour. This would provide service to everyone, and at 150mph the ride would still be 20 minutes shorter from NYC to WAS. :)

One side note, I have a TA friend who is going to NYP today (will arrive tomorrow) and I'll see him Sunday on 97, so I'll be sure to ask what kind of delays they encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back