WMTA question (DCA to Crystal City)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this is the best place for my quick question. I'm going to Crystal City tomorrow from DCA and it looks like a reasonable walk or one stop on the Metro - suggestions, advice (have another destination, but that's by... ack... car since it's not transit accessible)?

So to update; I used the route in the post above, was actually quite a nice walk and it ends up by the Crystal City Water Park (no, it's not a big amusement park) where I had a delicious meal. It's not a great route into the terminal via the parking garage - outbound I went from Hertz via the garage and service bays, but it is a good route.

When I needed to go to the airport from Crystal City, I used to walk the trail partway until I was across the highway, then cut across an access road and a parking lot. I could walk from the VRE station to the airport terminal in about ten minutes.

When VRE had a presentation at the Crystal City station about plans for a new Crystal City station, I pointed out that the airport is so close but has roundabout trail access, and that a good pedestrian connection between the station and the airport was needed. Somebody from VRE told me that it was not VRE's problem: VRE was responsible only for the station. I wasn't suggesting that VRE should create the connection.

This reminds me of a transportation conference in Virginia that I attended many years ago. The state was going to require that all new transportation projects that cross another mode of transportation establish connectivity. I cynically thought that people creating transportation projects would avoid situations that would demand an intermodal connection. Well, at least the pedestrian connection construction is expected to begin construction a few years from now.

Hahaha, I'll go back!

It wasn't that bad of a connection - at least it can be done - I just threw in some pictures. You certainly can't walk to O'Hare as easily - though you could get to the shuttle and take that in to the terminal, Midway is right on a busy street with sidewalks and a bus station adjacent to the L, so if you were close yes.

Attachments

• IMG_6037[1].JPG
    IMG_6037[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6038[1].JPG
    IMG_6038[1].JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6039[1].JPG
    IMG_6039[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6040[1].JPG
    IMG_6040[1].JPG