Wolverine 351

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone from the UK. I am planning a journey in a few months on the Wolverine 351 train, from Detroit to Chicago.

I have a few questions if I may. I have been on a variety of Amtrak routes but mainly longer distance sleeper journeys.

I am trying to decide between paying for just coach or the extra for business. Is this train (the first one of the day) busy on Mondays? In business, is coffee self service like on the Pacific Surfliner and the overnight trains in the sleeping cars? Or is it limited to simply 1 drink for the journey from the bar/attendant?

The photos I have seen on this forum of business look rather nice compared to others I have come across, I especially like the 2+1 style seating. Equally, it may be nice to travel in coach to enjoy the local atmosphere on the local train- that being local for USA- and long distance to us over here!

Any help on these questions will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance and thank you for your patience for a new visitor to this forum.

Monday mornings aren't very busy, but it depends on the date. If it's near a holiday, a lot of people may be traveling back to Chicago. Business Class tends to sell out quickly.

You are limited to one free drink; you also get a newspaper, which might be nice for you so you can read through some U.S. current events. They generally give you "USA Today", not a local paper, but sometimes you luck out and get the "Detroit News", "Detroit Free Press", or "Chicago Tribune".

Also, Business Class gives you access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, which is much nicer than the general boarding area. Plus, BC has more leg room and space than coach.

Honestly, I don't feel like Business Class is worth the additional cost if it's not a crowded train. When the train is crowded, it's definitely worth it. The Wolverine has reserved seating, so you won't have to stand, but it's nice not having to hunt for a seat.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Is it reserved seating for coach and BC? Would I be able to change seats if I wanted to, or would I need to speak to the Conductor?

Does the train have a selection of food in the buffet bar?

Thanks for the speedy reply. Is it reserved seating for coach and BC? Would I be able to change seats if I wanted to, or would I need to speak to the Conductor?

Does the train have a selection of food in the buffet bar?
By reserved, she means that you are guranteed a seat. But it's up to you to find a seat. And if you decide to change seats later in the trip, just remember to take your seat check.

in re the Biz Class Car on the Wolverine: its located in half of the Cafe Car and has the very comfortable 2x1 Seating with nice faux leather seats. Seating is not assigned, first come, first served but there's only 18 Seats so you won't be crowded!! Ive found the single seats to be very comfortable, similar to first class on an airliner, and you won't have a seatmate if you pick the single seat side!.

As for the cafe fare, it has coffee, juice, breakfast items ( pastry, sandwich etc) and sodas and other snack items @ airport prices, you can carry on your own food and drink but be aware there isn't much in the area of the small Detroit Station, and the Area around the Station isn't the safest @ night and early in the morning and evening!

As a one off trip I'd say its worth the upgrade charge for the Detroit to CHI trip! Please share your trip with us when its completed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to the Cafe Car Menu (Chicago Hub):

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/613/982/Chicago_Hub_Cafe_122010,0.pdf

Keep in mind some items may not be available, and there's always a chance the credit card machine will stop working. That's happened to me a couple of times, so now I make sure to have some cash on me.

I LOVE the single seats in Business Class. Plus, Business Class tends to be peaceful and quiet. Families tend to sit in Coach, especially when they have little kids. You don't run into many college kids either.

If you want to be around a bigger variety of people, sit in Coach. I really like the Wolverine because, at certain times of day, it's full of college kids from Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo. You get to hear a lot of amusing conversations, and many people chat with other passengers and make friends. Since you'll be on the early train, though, most people will either be sleeping or drinking coffee while reading books and newspapers.

Thank you both for the replies. Very helpful.

In what way is the area around Detroit station unsafe? Just so I can prepare myself!

Thanks for the menu link, gives me an idea of what to expect. The only other non sleeper AMTRAK services I've been on so far is the Pacific Surfliner and the Acela Express, so this will be a completely new experience for me. I'll be then connecting onto the Texas Eagle to San Antonio to see more of the wonderful country as the train rolls through.

As for the unsafe area around the Amtrak Station, since you're catching the early train it will be dark when you arrive, the station door is kept locked and you have to have an ID for the armed guard to let you into the station!

The area around the station is deserted that time of the morning and the guard told us ( every time I've caught the early Wolverine ) that it was best to stay inside the station till the train came! He also told me that the area around the Grayhound Station was really unsafe @ night!

I've made the connection to the Eagle in CHI many times from the Wolverine, hopefully it'll run on time and you can visit the Metro Lounge and the Great Hall before #21 boards!

Wave as you roll through Austin and share your trip with us here on AU!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jimhudson. I've visited the lounge before in CHI, a nice place to relax.

Did you have the impression of being unsafe for the early morning Wolverine from Detroit?

Thanks jimhudson. I've visited the lounge before in CHI, a nice place to relax.

Did you have the impression of being unsafe for the early morning Wolverine from Detroit?
Not on the train, I just passed on what the guard @ the Station told us and the fact that the Door to the Station is locked!
I always have had a ride to the Station ( my B-I-L lived in Windsor) and I noticed how deserted the streets are around the Station and that there are street people that hang around on Woodward Ave. that time of the morning.

Ive never been @ the station in daylight so maybe it depends on which train you catch/arrive on???

The guard was just protecting his job by stressing the dangers of the neighborhood. He wouldn't say, "The area's fine. I don't know why they need me."

The area around the station is kind of sketchy, so I'd definitely wait inside. You're pretty close to Woodward and the Cass Corridor.

Interestingly, if you go just a few blocks southeast, toward Wayne State and the Detroit Institute of Arts, it cleans up considerably. I walk around Midtown all the time. The trick is to walk during busy times of day. If it's early morning or late at night, I don't walk around.

I've never taken Amtrak to/from the Detroit station itself (my friends/family are closer to Ann Arbor and Dearborn), but I've always thought about doing that some day. It's nice to know there's a guard who only allows passengers into the building. Thanks, Jim. :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably arrive at the station in a taxi.

As your all knowledgeable about the trains and area- I have a question about Pontiac. I am going to be spending a day in Detroit and want to ride the line in its entirety. So I may either ride from Detroit to Pontiac and back in the afternoon or stay in Pontiac. Looking on Google maps, most of the hotels there are a good 5 miles or so away. Are taxis easily available at half 4 in the morning or is it not that sort of place? If I was to just ride there and back, is there enough near the station to keep me amused for 2hours?

Pontiac is in suburbia. The station is surrounded by churches and a couple of night clubs. There really isn't much going on at 4:30 in the morning. You would have to call a cab company to meet you at the station if you plan to go anywhere. If you walk south on Woodward for a bit, there's a McDonald's and a donut shop, but it's not the most scenic walk.

Thanks. Is it the sort of place taxis run during the night? May sound a silly question, but we have a few small villages over here in the UK that simply won't have taxis on demand as such as they have to be pre booked

Thanks. Is it the sort of place taxis run during the night? May sound a silly question, but we have a few small villages over here in the UK that simply won't have taxis on demand as such as they have to be pre booked
No, it's not like your typical big city where taxis drive around picking up fares at all hours. You have to call to set one up.

Cabs park near my home station (Kalamazoo) around the time the trains are due to arrive, but I don't know if cabs park near the Pontiac station. I've never used that station.

I have now booked my trip- starting from Detroit to San Antonio. Can't wait to be on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back