Wolverine Equipment Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoodood

Service Attendant
Just curious if anybody knows...

Wouldn't it be more economical for Amtrak to use CN's turntable in Pontiac (is it still operational), or buy its own property nearby to construct a wye to turn the Wolverine's locomotives around? This would negate having to use a second P42 on the back end, which seems to me to be wasteful in terms of fuel consumption and locomotive availability.

Secondly, is there a speed limit restrction when using a "cabbage" on the front end? With the upgrade of the Wolverine's line to 110 mph, I wondering if "pushing" is safe at that speed.

As are Amtrak Keystones between New York and Philadelphia (125mph) and Philadelphia and Harrisburg (110mph).

I suppose only the HHP-8 powered MARC trains actually make it to 125, since those MP36s would need tail wind and a few other favorable factors including the lack of FRA wrath, to make it past 110mph? ;)

Actually, I think that the MP36's are still limited to 90 MPH, and that the straight-shot-to-BWI superexpress doesn't run 125 anymore. :(

But they did and the Keystones do, so it isn't an issue to have a non-locomotive leading at those speeds.

the NPCUs are limited to 100mph. However the new corridor fleet we're getting will have cab cars that can run at 110mph (they'll probably be rated for 125mph, to allow for future upgrades and such). The Wolverine can turn somewhere near Pontiac, I'm not certain where this is done but it has been done before.

peter

Its entirely possible that they're running HEP on the rear unit, and running the lead for just traction. When they get up to speed they take the leader and isolate it to save fuel. They were doing that years ago when fuel conservation was a big issue.

Cabbages don't have HEP generators, only a control stand & a large baggage room. the only F40 NPCU that runs HEP is the museum train one.

peter

Heard. I was responding more to the OP with his question and having two P-42s on the train. Obviously if you're running a cab car or NPCU that issue isn't there. 406 of course is the exception, not the rule. Seems like 406 has been pretty busy recently on the exhibit train.

There's really nothing that much wrong with the current setup, especially given that the train would barely make it to 110 without that second engine, so they will usually cut it in just for the 110 segment, and isolate the second unit. When they get the new locomotives that are designed for high-speed passenger service, and the new cars including cab cars, then it shouldn't be a problem to drop the second unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back