Wolverine service and troy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of a points run to troy. 350 and 355 do not have been but they say there is WiFi. US this a superliner set?

What is troy like. The new station is there, and I see a five guy's there. I'm thinking this is OK for a 3 hour layover. Anything else I need to know about troy?

Thank you.

I'm thinking of a points run to troy. 350 and 355 do not have been but they say there is WiFi. US this a superliner set?

What is troy like. The new station is there, and I see a five guy's there. I'm thinking this is OK for a 3 hour layover. Anything else I need to know about troy?

Thank you.
I'm not sure if the Wolverine is still running Superliners or if the Superliners have wi-fi. The regular Wolverine consist does have wi-fi. It can be pretty slow, though, especially if the train is full, so I usually just use my regular phone signal. I can 4G LTE all the way across lower Michigan.

Troy is smack dab in suburbia. It's mostly office buildings, strip malls, restaurants, and houses. I can't think of anything fun or unique to do there, but there's enough to stay occupied during a layover.

Thanks. I'm primarily going for a train ride on superliner. So no WiFi is no problem. The combination of no bc but having WiFi is confusing to me. Usually the WiFi receiver is in the food service car.

Thank you.
royal oak is a safer amtrak run

How about Pontiac?
Again, suburbia, and way north. There's not a lot out that way, especially near the Amtrak station. I wouldn't want to do a layover there.

I don't know what wabbit means by Royal Oak being "safer". Troy has never felt unsafe to me, and it's sandwiched by some pretty nice suburbs. Royal Oak is more hipster-ish, especially close to Ferndale. ROY is in a nice little area with cafes, shopping, and the library. So, for a layover, I'd probably prefer Royal Oak, but Troy is a good choice too.

How about Pontiac?
Again, suburbia, and way north. There's not a lot out that way, especially near the Amtrak station. I wouldn't want to do a layover there.

I don't know what wabbit means by Royal Oak being "safer". Troy has never felt unsafe to me, and it's sandwiched by some pretty nice suburbs. Royal Oak is more hipster-ish, especially close to Ferndale. ROY is in a nice little area with cafes, shopping, and the library. So, for a layover, I'd probably prefer Royal Oak, but Troy is a good choice too.

with wifi
thats what i was saying sarah the cafes, coffee shops, the library is near by, mcdonalds is right there by the train, and mcdonalds has wifi

How about Pontiac?

I totally agree with Sarah here. Royal Oak is simply a much more happening, walkable town. It functions as the suburban nightlife center for Metro Detroit in some ways to make up for the lack of yuppie nightlife within the city of Detroit (that counterparts like Chicago's North Side neighborhoods enjoy). I'd prefer a layover in Royal Oak to Troy any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Royal Oak. I used to hang out there almost every weekend. We'd go to Luna and then walk over to the coney place for some late-night food.

I just found this website. I'm not sure why I've never seen it before. I love the design, and it gives street maps and transit info for every station.

http://mitrain.com/

How about the Big Rock Chop house, located in what used to be the Birmingham Grand Trunk depot building (just across the tracks from the new Troy depot)?

www.bigrockchophouse.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back