Women trespassing on railroad bridge in Indiana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I saw it on both the local and national tv news. Strange that it occurred on July 10th, and only made it onto the news, yesterday....

Perhaps the railroad just released the video from their locomotive in an effort to warn other trespasser's against attempting something similar...

I only hope its publicity doesn't have the opposite effect, and encourage other fool's into something similar...

Last edited by a moderator:
The media got something right for once at least here in Philly.. They called them trespassers.. About time!
You're still in Philly? Thought you were in Norfolk.

Yes, I saw it on both the local and national tv news. Strange that it occurred on July 10th, and only made it onto the news, yesterday....

Perhaps the railroad just released the video from their locomotive in an effort to warn other trespasser's against attempting something similar...

I only hope its publicity doesn't have the opposite effect, and encourage other fool's into something similar...
I agree, a lot of people might think it's cool, like train vandals do, or people trying to commit suicide.

I agree, a lot of people might think it's cool, like train vandals do, or people trying to commit suicide.
i hope people don't think they can just lay down between the rails and let the train pass over them!

i hope people don't think they can just lay down between the rails and let the train pass over them!
Especially along Amtrak lines. The front of the P42 is really low.

Well, that would seem to be a logical conclusion to reach after watching this video. Apparently you can do this and walk (okay, run) away with

little more than a stubbed toe and Johnny Law on your trail. Ain't gonna be any Amtrak P42's coming across that bridge anytime soon, so that

part is fine.

Personally, I think I'd take my chances jumping off rather than setting myself up for potentially getting smushed. Without knowing the girth

or head circumference of these women, we don't know for sure whether we would escaped as unscathed as they did. So, I don't think I'm

going to try to replicate this incident.

If you really skinny and the rails are fairly high and the ties are not plate cut, this will probably work, but do you really want to bet your life on it? If you look closely at a freight diesel, they are as low to the track as the Amtrak diesels, so that will really make no difference. One difference is that after the engines go past there is normally more space under freight cars than their is under passenger cars. Conversely, there is also the possibility of things dangling from freight cars. The various gouges you see in the tops of ties that align with the track were not put there on purpose, but by things dangling that should not have been. Hence, if you do manage to get caught, lie with your feet toward the train, not your head.

Reminds me of my first visit to India in 1983, we were invited by a gent to visit his home, near Badami, and the "route" was to walk across a rail only bridge, stepping from tie to tie... you could see the river below! We were "assured" there were no trains due!

Ed :cool:

If you really skinny and the rails are fairly high and the ties are not plate cut, this will probably work, but do you really want to bet your life on it? If you look closely at a freight diesel, they are as low to the track as the Amtrak diesels, so that will really make no difference. One difference is that after the engines go past there is normally more space under freight cars than their is under passenger cars. Conversely, there is also the possibility of things dangling from freight cars. The various gouges you see in the tops of ties that align with the track were not put there on purpose, but by things dangling that should not have been. Hence, if you do manage to get caught, lie with your feet toward the train, not your head.
Also some bridges have those things between the rails to prevent the train from derailing.

Back