World Series Radio/TV Onboard Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family will be traveling from Fort Worth to Chicago on Saturday, October 30th. What would you recommend we use to listen or watch the World Series? It will be broadcast on ESPN.

you'd probably need some sort of handle held sirus/XM type radio. You'll be going through a lot of dead zones, so satellite is probably your best bet.

Even if you bought one of those prepaid internet cards for your computer, where you could watch it online. they run off of cell networks and there would be area where you had no service

Since it will be on ESPN, you could bring your TV from home - with a LOONNG (1,000+ mile) cable!
mosking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate everyone's help. I was thinking a SAT would be neceessary. Good advise. Thanks, Bob

XM radio should work fine on that route.

I was on the Empire Builder out of Seattle during the Super Bowl last year. I had my XM hooked up to earphones.

The couple in the next room stopped by asking if I had the Game, "Of course" I answered. They ran back and got a small set of speakers and we all listened to the game.

Quite the party in room D, By the end of the game most of the people in our car had poked thier heads in and introduced themselves. This was probably the best ice-breaker ever. That trip was a non-stop "good time" simply because we broke the awkward "introduction phase" of the trip early. I could go on, but this is not a trip report.

Bring an XM radio and enjoy the games.

I just took the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Fort Worth. The man across the aisle from me (roomette) was listening to the

Bears - Redskins game as we departed Chicago. I thought he was using his computer, but it may have been XM. I have XM at

home. I didn't realize it could be used on the train. All you need is an electrical outlet and your antenna.

XM radio should work fine on that route.

I was on the Empire Builder out of Seattle during the Super Bowl last year. I had my XM hooked up to earphones.

The couple in the next room stopped by asking if I had the Game, "Of course" I answered. They ran back and got a small set of speakers and we all listened to the game.

Quite the party in room D, By the end of the game most of the people in our car had poked thier heads in and introduced themselves. This was probably the best ice-breaker ever. That trip was a non-stop "good time" simply because we broke the awkward "introduction phase" of the trip early. I could go on, but this is not a trip report.

Bring an XM radio and enjoy the games.
Wow.. I wish I was on board for the party! Thanks for the info. Please tell me what XM reciever and antenna to use.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I use the Pioneer XMmp3 model radio with an 8 gig microSD card.

It has a built in antenna that only works outside (and then not all that well).

On the train I use the home docking kit and the big antenna (fits in your fist). Although I haven't tried the car antenna I think it would also work. You need to keep the antenna oriented to the south for best reception, but I've found with my radio it doesn't need to be a clear shot. Mine will receive through the walls of an Amtrak sleeper.

The extra storage allows you to record and store music, sporting events, or other XM programming. It can also be used just like a regular mp3 player for music or audiobooks.

All in all they are great for traveling.

The lack of radio/TV is probably one of Amtrak's larger flaws as it'd be nice for us sports fans to catch up on the action instead of just a cell phone with spotty coverage.

If they would televise the World Series in the SSL Jim Hudson would probably rack up more miles than The_Traveler :lol: But then again I'd hate to see them bad order the SSL :help:

What happened to the TV monitor boards of exactly where you were that the Crescent used to have? Are there any on the NEC? Did they go the way of the room radios and Viewliner movie screens ???

What happened to the TV monitor boards of exactly where you were that the Crescent used to have? Are there any on the NEC?
I don't remember them on the Crescent, but there is something similar on the Cascades between PDX and SEA that shows where you are. And no, there is none on the NEC (at least that I've seen).
Dave;

The few that I did see I think came off the Corridor as there was no smoking room (the smokers weren't happy) and the lounge cars weren't named for cities; it has been four or five years since I last saw one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back