Worth business class on Palmetto?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I will be taking the Palmetto from NYC to NC and than transferring to a bus. Is business class worth purchasing for the trip or will coach be okay?

Thanks for the help.

It used to be one of the best business class trains on amtrak. But since they expanded it from 15 seats to sixty it isn't worth it. Coach actually has less seats then business class on the palmetto for long haul passengers. So I wouldn't if I were you

I agree with Seaboard92. You are almost certain to be seated in an Amfleet II coach, and the relative benefits of business class are not worth the incremental cost.

The other thing I recommend is just go to CVS or Duane and Reede and but a two liter drink to bring with you. Then you have almost unlimited drinks and it's majorly cheeper.

I've ridden this train from Savannah to Baltimore several times, and I've been happy that I did the Business class. Here's why:

Every time I rode, the coach section was packed full, whereas the business class had plenty of seats (I had 2 seats to myself the entire ride on all of my trips.)

The business class car was an Amfleet I business class car and had wifi. The Amfleet II coaches don't have wifi, if you are in coach and want to connect, you have to go to the cafe car.

Not every coach on the train is Amfleet II. So you could be stuck in a crowded Amfleet I coach with much less legroom. (But you would have wifi :) )

Of course, if the business class section were totally full, AND you could be assured that you would be seated in an Amfleet II coach, then perhaps the business class upcharge isn't worth it.

Almost all (soon to be all) Amfleet II Coaches now have wifi, so that is no longer much of a determining factor.

And I've been on the train when business class was full but regular coach was not. YMMV.

The OP is riding between NY and some point in the Carolinas. Those passengers aren't usually placed in the "shorts" coach, which is generally an Amfleet I. Of course, if an Amtrak II coach is out of service and Sunnyside puts an Amfleet I in its place, c'est la vie.

My understanding is that the cafe car and business class car are now at opposite ends of the train on the Pennsylvanian. That equipment becomes the Palmetto which now has additional coaches NYP-WAS on weekends as another train on similar schedule was discontinued. Having the cafe separated from the BC puts the cafe in the middle of the coaches as far as Washington. Is that correct and is it done daily or just on weekends?

My last trip on the Palmetto in Business class had many of the single passengers (myself included) with seatmates. Glad to see it's popular but the main benefit of BC was to have room to spread out with relative quiet. With that no longer a reliable benefit, the cafe now at the opposite end of the train, and wifi throughout, next time I'll just go coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back