Worth wasting points for Business Class upgrade?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have already booked my trip from BOS -> MIA in coach and I have enough points now to upgrade the NER section to business class. I was wondering if it is worth the 1500 points to upgrade from BOS -> NYP or save them for future travel. Opinions?

Acela150 I assume you mean the extra paid TQP points at the highest way to earn them?
I pay the fee for BC to get the extra TQP's. That's the only reason for me to upgrade. With trips booked up till April I'll re-qualify for Select for 2016. But that's cause of several AE FC tickets booked next week. 4 in 4 days. With 3 of them in 2 days.
I am glad I posted the question, I appreciate this, I can now save the points for my October trip.
Keep in mind that if one books a sleeper trip that Business Class is included in the points spent. So for instance if you book sleepers to MIA your trip from BOS-NYP will be in BC and to no extra charge of points.

I traveled from BOS-CHI and onto WAS back to RTE. The points I used were for roomettes both ways. The trip from DC to RTE was in BC on 166 originally 132 but bumped back due to a late connection. The upgrade was at no extra charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acela150, I appreciate it, I will at some point splurge and book a sleeper. But right now I am trying to figure out if I have enough points to also do part of my west coast trip. Am I correct that on the SWC that Trinidad is the border station for the Western zone? I would be able to book from TRI to PDX for the 5500 points for coach? If I did this, my trip out to PDX and home would be actually less if I paid separately, WOR to TRI then PDX to WOR. It would be less with my disability discount than the 15- day rail pass.

I may have to go forego the Florida part of the trip because the person I am visiting is not able to coordinate the stay.

Back