Wow Bedrooms to San Antonio sold out Dec. 26th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
I keep checking to see if my price has gone up or down and I just looked and for going to San Antonio on December 26th the bedrooms are sold out. Now you can get a bedroom going north on December 31rst.

Which train, as SAS is served by both the Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited? I'm guessing by saying you are looking north it is the Texas Eagle.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep checking to see if my price has gone up or down and I just looked and for going to San Antonio on December 26th the bedrooms are sold out. Now you can get a bedroom going north on December 31rst.
Which train, as SAS is served by both the Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited? I'm guessing by saying you are looking north it is the Texas Eagle.....
I'm just taking a guess here, but Gingee said "going north" from SAS. I'm going to guess the TE, since the SL goes east/west!

I'm just taking a guess here, but Gingee said "going north" from SAS. I'm going to guess the TE, since the SL goes east/west!
I think Gingee lives near CHI, maybe in Indiana. So it's probably the TE. What I don't understand is the "going to SAS" then "bedroom going north" when the TE heads south going to SAS.

I have when I :eek: PAID :eek: for the trip! But if AGR, never! :giggle:
Wow, how do you get some much AGR? Points runs?
By charging everything (and more) on the AGR MasterCard, I earn a free trip each year just by buying things I normally would - like buying food, gas and clothing! :)
AGREED!

That little Card is quite a gem and add in some paid trips, AGR Points purchases during Bonus times and other Bonuses such as Triple Point Rent Cars and those Points stack up fast!

I have when I :eek: PAID :eek: for the trip! But if AGR, never! :giggle:
Wow, how do you get some much AGR? Points runs?
By charging everything (and more) on the AGR MasterCard, I earn a free trip each year just by buying things I normally would - like buying food, gas and clothing! :)
AGREED!

That little Card is quite a gem and add in some paid trips, AGR Points purchases during Bonus times and other Bonuses such as Triple Point Rent Cars and those Points stack up fast!
OK, I'll consider getting one.

I had one, but after a few months of paying the bill on time every month, Chase pretended they hadn't received my payment. Which is fraud on their part, but a very popular type of fraud among credit card companies (see, they don't make any money if you pay your bills on time). After a round of certified mail getting them to refund the illegal late fees they'd applied, I decided I didn't ever want to do business with Chase again. It would be nice if Amtrak picked a partner for its credit card which wasn't a criminal operation.

Just a warning to those considering using the card heavily. You'll want absolute proof for every payment you make. Look up the MBNA case if you want to know how this fraud works so you can avoid getting bitten; back in the 80s or 90s, MBNA even managed to lie about receiving certified mail.

I never mail a check to them. There is a little clickable link on the site that says "Pay Bill". With that, the payment posts to your CC account the same day as the payment "click", and you also have 2 receipts of the payment being made, one from Chase and one from your bank! I've never had a problem.

Also by checking online, you can (if you want) pay a head of time. I just paid my bill to -0-, even though the statement doesn't close until 12/10/12!

While you're right that online payment eliminates that type of fraud, there's a second type of risk with online payment, which is fraudulent additional transactions due to account number theft. Some day your bank account will be cleaned out. Make sure you keep a full set of paper records for when that happens. Actually, everyone should do this, because banks are really sloppy with account numbers and authorizations period.

Yes, I'm paranoid about financial stuff. I have good reason to be. May you neve have good reason to be. :)

That is very true. So is having your car stolen, your house robbed, you being murdered, your being in a (car, train, plane, etc...) crash, etc... I do not worry much about them. If you take proper precautions, I think you do not have much to worry about. Unless you use something like "123456" as your password!

I never mail a check to them. There is a little clickable link on the site that says "Pay Bill". With that, the payment posts to your CC account the same day as the payment "click", and you also have 2 receipts of the payment being made, one from Chase and one from your bank! I've never had a problem.

Also by checking online, you can (if you want) pay a head of time. I just paid my bill to -0-, even though the statement doesn't close until 12/10/12!
I'll totally second this. I've never, not once, in the three years of having an AGR MasterCard from Chase paid a cent of interest on my end. I've earned over 90,000 points, through those everyday purchases as well as Amtrak double-point purchases and bonuses, using the card. As long as you are diligent and check your account often (I'm on mine at least once every other day to monitor for fraud; habit of mine) and pay your bill in full, there are few other options out there that pay you dividends as nicely as AGR.

Minus the annual fee, the only other I can say is well worth having is the Sapphire Preferred card. I've also racked up nearly 80,000 points on this one and have had it less than a year.

I'm not spending like a mad-man either. I only make a very modest salary, pay each card off in full all the time, and still have five digits to the left of the decimal point in my bank account at the end of the day. Its all about being willing to play the card game in your favor.

Just an FYI, since we are on related subject.

Chase called me last night and they spotted possible fraudulent use of my card (a $143 charge from a gas station in Quebec). They had declined it. I don't know how my card number was picked up, but on Chase's advice, I closed the account and having them reopen it with a new number.

They seem pretty good about proactive fraud detection to me.

To clarify we are going south out of Bloomington to San Antonio on Texas Eagle. Going back on Texas Eagle there is more openings on New Years Eve.

While you're right that online payment eliminates that type of fraud, there's a second type of risk with online payment, which is fraudulent additional transactions due to account number theft. Some day your bank account will be cleaned out. Make sure you keep a full set of paper records for when that happens. Actually, everyone should do this, because banks are really sloppy with account numbers and authorizations period.

Yes, I'm paranoid about financial stuff. I have good reason to be. May you neve have good reason to be. :)
I agree. I don't want to waste any money.

BTW, why don't you sign up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back