writing on trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLev

Train Attendant
In case this is of interest ...

As an author, I do a lot of writing on Amtrak - in fact, parts of just about every novel and nonfiction book I've published were written on trains in the Northeast corridor.

But the best example took place on the Lake Shore, Ltd., which I took to the 58th Annual World Science Fiction convention in Chicago in the summer of 2000. The roundtrip, unbelievably, cost me something like $35 (rail sale). I didn't book a sleeper, because I wanted to be awake as much as possible, and enjoy the ride. I wrote about three chapters of a new novel, The Consciousness Plague, on the trains (it was published by Tor in 2002).

I loved the ride, and the people on the train (which included other science fiction writers, going to the same convention).

In fact, I loved it so much, I decided to include a chapter in the novel, in which my hero - NYC forensic detective Phil D'Amato - takes the Lake Shore to Chicago from NYC, and back. He meets an important character on the way back...

That's what I call making the most of a great train ride...

(The food was pretty good, too - especially the breakfasts, and the seafood I had for dinner.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In case this is of interest ...
As an author, I do a lot of writing on Amtrak - in fact, parts of just about every novel and nonfiction book I've published were written on trains in the Northeast corridor.

But the best example took place on the Lake Shore, Ltd., which I took to the 58th Annual World Science Fiction convention in Chicago in the summer of 2000. The roundtrip, unbelievably, cost me something like $35 (rail sale). I didn't book a sleeper, because I wanted to be awake as much as possible, and enjoy the ride. I wrote about three chapters of a new novel, The Consciousness Plague, on the trains (it was published by Tor in 2002).

I loved the ride, and the people on the train (which included other science fiction writers, going to the same convention).

In fact, I loved it so much, I decided to include a chapter in the novel, in which my hero - NYC forensic detective Phil D'Amato - takes the Lake Shore to Chicago from NYC, and back. He meets an important character on the way back...

That's what I call making the most of a great train ride...

(The food was pretty good, too - especially the breakfasts, and the seafood I had for dinner.)
Welcome. I am an author also, with 12 books published. I do technical books rather than fiction through. I'll be taking the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Los Angeles next week and will actually be starting on book #13 on that trip. I find the train a relaxing place to write and think. Interruption is minimal within the confines of a sleeper and when you need a mind break, there it is, right out your window. At one time I wanted to do screenplays. I did two first draft scripts for a portfolio of sorts on two different train trips (both on the CS). I have not really had the time to follow that dream I'm afraid.

My other writing abode is a suite at the MGM Grand facing McCarin airport. I love watching the planes as I write. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back