Yes, I sometimes over-plan this annual trip to Chicago...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty.

OBS Chief
Even when I kinda fail at making plans for other stuff the rest of the year.

Anyway, if you've been paying enough attention ( :p ) , you know my current plans for May 10th. After thinking about it for a few days I have convinced myself that getting a roomette wouldn't be a bad idea, if only because I don't know when I'll be on a segment of a long distance train any other time soon.

Ideally, I will have a friend on the train with me, but he'll be starting in Little Rock. I'm going to let him in on the room to help make his first trip to Chicago a little more epic, plus I intend to check the Metropolitan Lounge and I'd feel slightly guilty saying something like "No, you have to loiter elsewhere while I catch up on my email."

I anticipate doing this out of my tax money, so it will probably be a few weeks before I can actually buy it. My question is this: Assuming my friend packs lightly enough that all of his luggage could be considered carry-on, would it be less hassle overall for him to get just a LRK-STL ticket while I get STL-CHI taken care of for both of us, or add him to the room when I get on in St. Louis?

My question is this: Assuming my friend packs lightly enough that all of his luggage could be considered carry-on, would it be less hassle overall for him to get just a LRK-STL ticket while I get STL-CHI taken care of for both of us, or add him to the room when I get on in St. Louis?
Assuming he gets a LRK-STL ticket, would that be coach or sleeper? :huh: If coach, he could not use the sleeper on the OVERNIGHT portion of the trip! (That's when it would come in handy!) I might compare the cost of a sleeper for LRK-STL vs LRK-CHI. It may not be all that much different.

I also think that he may be able to call up and add you name to the room reservation. (The room charge is the same for either 1 or 2 people. The only extra charge is the "rail fare", which you'll have via your ticket!) ;)

I'm trying to keep things on the cheaper end for him, and he'll be on vacation from work that week too, so if he's like me his sleep will probably be a bit screwy anyway... I was planning on him doing coach for the first leg and joining me once I got on. He's the newbie on this trip out of all the people I'll see over the week, unfamiliar at all with either Amtrak or the dog, so while I'm trying to up the wow factor for him, I'm also trying to make it so he doesn't have to worry about it so much (or pay for it if I can help it)... And the boost to my AGR points and additional excuse to play with the Quik-Trak machine are compelling reasons too. I don't think he's going to sign up for AGR unless I tell him it's a good idea, and I'm not entirely convinced it is for him to sign up at this point.

(Random note, +$197 for roomette from LRK-CHI, +$111 STL-CHI based on if I were purchasing right this minute.)

I'm trying to keep things on the cheaper end for him, and he'll be on vacation from work that week too, so if he's like me his sleep will probably be a bit screwy anyway... I was planning on him doing coach for the first leg and joining me once I got on. He's the newbie on this trip out of all the people I'll see over the week, unfamiliar at all with either Amtrak or the dog, so while I'm trying to up the wow factor for him, I'm also trying to make it so he doesn't have to worry about it so much (or pay for it if I can help it)... And the boost to my AGR points and additional excuse to play with the Quik-Trak machine are compelling reasons too. I don't think he's going to sign up for AGR unless I tell him it's a good idea, and I'm not entirely convinced it is for him to sign up at this point.
(Random note, +$197 for roomette from LRK-CHI, +$111 STL-CHI based on if I were purchasing right this minute.)
If nothing else, as a favor to you, he should sign up for AGR through your referral. I don't have the link right now. Just search for "AGR referral". You both get bonus points.

Thats pretty pricey for a STL-CHI ticket, also the LRK-CHI roomette must be High Bucket, I often ride this train from AUS-CHI for $122 for the roomette and $99 rail fare which includes 4 meals. Your prices would have breakfast and lunch only (for 2 but still thats pretty pricey for a 5 hr. ride and use of the lounge.) I'd suggest looking @ different dates, you probably can get it cheaper if your schedule is flexible! Might also consider the Lincoln Service,it's cheaper from STL-CHI than the Eagle! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's pricey, but I'm kind of limited in what I can take at this point - the 22 is roomettes only for STL-CHI at +$133, the 322 would mean he'd have to switch trains anyway, and the next Lincoln doesn't head out until 3 pm and I'd rather be up there by then because my hotel's check-in is 3. I have plans to meet with another friend in ARB the next day, so that sort of lets out leaving later in the week...

Heh. The money I'll be out isn't what I have issue with, I just want the connection to happen as smoothly as possible given how unfamiliar I am about the specifics of the Amtrak side of Gateway Station currently.

BeckysBarn, thanks for the pointer. ^^ I'll have to wait a week or so to refer him if I want to worry about his point bonus, but that is a great idea.

I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods, but here in the NE you have to book a Chicago trip months in advance to even get a bedroom or roomette. Roomettes are very tiny with only enough room for a small overnight bag or two. It is basically a large closet size area with two chairs a pull down bed above and a lower bed that converts from the two chairs. Viewliners have a sink and an exposed toilet while Superliners do not. You will need to check your luggage but its usually no big deal and no charge.

I just checked 5-10 LRK-CHI, vs 5-11 STL-CHI, and it was CHEAPER for the sleeper from LRK than STL.

Keep shopping.

I would get the sleeper out of LRK rather than STL, and when you ticket, do so via an agent and get you into the sleeper in STL.

Ideally, I will have a friend on the train with me, but he'll be starting in Little Rock. I'm going to let him in on the room to help make his first trip to Chicago a little more epic, plus I intend to check the Metropolitan Lounge and I'd feel slightly guilty saying something like "No, you have to loiter elsewhere while I catch up on my email."
I anticipate doing this out of my tax money, so it will probably be a few weeks before I can actually buy it. My question is this: Assuming my friend packs lightly enough that all of his luggage could be considered carry-on, would it be less hassle overall for him to get just a LRK-STL ticket while I get STL-CHI taken care of for both of us, or add him to the room when I get on in St. Louis?
Misty,

Assuming that you don't want to be so generous as to book the friend into the sleeper from Little Rock, and I note that right now from Little Rock to Chicago is only $121, then he should book whatever he can pay for coach or sleeper to St. Louis. Then you should book both of you into the sleeper from STL to Chicaog. It will just be easier.

But again, you may want to give some thought to the idea of just booking the sleeper the whole way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back