Zephyr 2012-2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came back riding the Zephyr from DEN to SLC yesterday, in coach, so can't comment on sleeper amenities.

Scenery- fantastic!

Running- as good as it can get. Started from DEN 2 hr 20 min late due to malfunctioning switches in the yard, reached SLC 1 hr 40 min late, so we covered up about 40 minutes of delay on the way. UP gave us clear right of way keeping their freights in sidings most of the times

Occupancy- sold out! No luxury of 2 seats to a person.

Dining Car- the only disappointment. Without the flowers and with cheap small papers as "tablemat", it looks like eating in McDonalds. Doesn't help that the Menus handed out to us were black and white photocopies of the original menus! To add to it, both the Dining Car attendants were grumpy, on a power trip, and not willing to explain the menu. They got tip from me that was appropriate for the level of service (aka almost zero).

Service was hit and miss for us, which was kind of disapointing.

SCA ROBERT was great

Our server for breakfast was horrible, felt like we were being a burden.

SCA although nice, disappeared

Server was outstanding once we got seated. Believe her name was grace.

I-70 through Glenwood Canyon was fully completed in October 1992. Henry Kisor's book was first published in 1994.

I drove through the canyon once (in 1972) before any of the construction of I-70 in the canyon had been undertaken. Have driven it dozens of times since the freeway was completed.

There is not enough room in most of the canyon to place the lanes side by side, so they had to be "stacked" up the north side wall to fit. Even still, it was so tight near the Hanging Lake Dam that the freeway had to be built into a longish tunnel on the south side of the river to fit into the canyon.

I'm sad to say, but I think the "experience" has gone down hill :-( Maybe if one didn't ride coach, then that would make a huge difference. It'll be my sixth time on it in two years (either DAV or SAC to either LNK or OMA) in another week, and I don't find myself looking forward to the trip this time. I think the three aspects which have degraded are: the schedule, or its inability to stay anywhere close to what's published; the dining car - both the menu, the presentation and the staff; and sadly, and this is why I say, maybe if I wasn't in coach it would be better - the people. ... when I road it for the first time in many decades last May, the experience was an 11 on a scale of 10: it ran on time (within 10 to 15 minutes of the published schedule the entire length); the dining car staff was friendly, the menu was at least a couple items larger, everything was available and even though the flowers were plastic, they added something; and the final point - the people that I met were a cut above, class acts.

Since then, especially this year, trying to figure when to get to the station in OMA to catch #5 is a guess at best... in the short distance from CHI to OMA it's now generally running two hours late, and has been up to six; [this would be less of a problem if it was in the middle of the day, but to have the schedule slip from 11pm to 2 or 3am, that's a PITA]; likewise trying to tell someone that has to drive almost three hours to pick me up in DAV when to be there: it's been anywhere from 30 minutes late, to 7 hours. The dinning car problem has gone from: being able to understand that they're trying to run a restaurant on a train, and that's difficult at best, to now having surly staff, waiting lists, reduced menu, items selling out on the first dinner; and sadly, as the trains become more full, the coach passengers are getting more and more into each other faces, from the tweakers bouncing around all day and all night; to having someone getting on at HAS decide since they had to be up at an early hour that everyone else in the car should likewise be up, and when someone suggested that most of the rest of the car was sleeping, she had to go ballistic and start screaming at everyone that went by.

So, no, sorry, but the last four trips haven't been in the same league as the first; and this coming one will probably be a deciding one, ie, if it is painful as the last two, then it's probably back to the flying cattle car again. Don't know if anyone from Amtrak reads these posts/forum, but they have a problem on their hands, and seem unable to fix it.

I took the CZ from SF (bus) to Chicago on August 15. Bedroom A (my choice) car 631. I have done this trip both ways many times. March 2013 was my previous on train 5. I really didn't notice a whole lot of differences. Think a better trip than last time.

Upon arrival at the Emeryville station the clerk selling food items was in a screaming match with a customer. No idea what that was about. It got everyones attention. Couldn't understand the announcements on the PA system so an Amtrak employee came out and gave everyone a briefing. Explained to coach passengers where their cars would be and when to walk down after the train arrived, etc. Everyone of course then immediately headed out to board the train that wasn't there yet. It was like herding cats. When the train arrived everyone went to the sleeper cars. I sat back and waited for the dust to settle. We were also told Congress was trying to eliminate this train and to contact our Representatives and Senators.

SCA's name was Pete. First impression wasn't too good. Clothes were very dirty with stains everywhere. He surprised with great service. Very friendly and always on time for things. PA didn't work in my room but that was no surprise to me nor did it matter. He offered to bring ice as needed and juice or coffee anytime. I took advantage of that offer. Bed was made up timely with extra blanket and pillows. Room was clean and not that dated. He emptied trash and cleaned the bathroom daily. I liked him. Very few ever empty trash daily or clean the bathroom and I mean scrubbing. Always around with his cleaning spray bottles.

Dining car staff was efficient. Of course there were wait lists as its a busy train. I didn't have to wait at all. All meals were in and out with good timely service. Breakfast food was tasty as always, lunch was good and dinner mediocre. If stuff was missing or the plates were different I didn't notice or care.

It was a sunny Saturday on the Colorado River and never have seen a more organized bunch of mooners. Hundreds. Had a meal with a six year old and his mom. He felt it must be very hot outside for people to take their clothes off like that :)

We were 21 minutes down in Denver and arrived about 2.5 hrs down in Chicago. It was what I expected and didn't impact me at all. I was staying in the city that evening as I always do.

It was a good trip and I will do again.

Ray

Henry,

Thanks tp your book I have taken the Zephyr twice, once in coach, the week after Sept 11, 2001 and once in sleeper and would love to do it again but have other trips to take first. Thanks to you i love train travel and hope to you do another updated version. I have both the hardback and the kindle version. The Chief and other trips would also be very welcome books. Thanks for getting me hooked.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back