Zephyr 2012-2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry Kisor

Has the travel experience on the California Zephyr since January of 2012 changed very much?

I know about bad timekeeping and fewer sleeper amenities, but what about the rest of it?

Reason I ask is that I'm thinking about another update to my book Zephyr, originally published in 1994 and updated as an e-book in 2012. I'd like to keep it as current as possible. If so, maybe I should take another Chicago-Emeryville round trip in January 2015

What do you think, veteran Zephyr riders? And thanks.

Last couple of times I rode the Diner Crews didn't seem as friendly or organized and the tracks seem rougher in spots! Its still very popular and the Buckets are High!

Overall, besides what you mentioned, the Scenery is still Fantastic and the New Denver Station is certainly worth a look! Also once its finished,the Sacramento station will be a nicer place to wait!

Enjoy your trip and look forward to reading your updates!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great crew on my CZ trip this year. We were a few hours late into CHI as we had an issue at Denver and then lost time after that. I detailed it on my blog at trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com. I really loved the diner crew and a poster on this board told me that one of the OBS members on my train had been in that horrific CZ accident and was a hero. He is truly an Amtrak treasure.

I rode the California Zephyr last month from CHI to SLC; SLC to Reno; Reno to DEN; DEN to CHI. The last times before that were in 2011 (early December) and in 2010 (late August).

My observations are: the train was much more crowded in July 2014, and there were wait lists for all meals, including breakfast (which may be attributed to the fact that I traveled in July in 2014 and December in 2011). I seem to recall wait lists in 2010, but do not remember.

I thought the dining crews (4 different segments and 3 different crews) that we had last month were very efficient, however, one LSA's announcements were way too long and way too annoying.

Of course the scenery was great. I did notice on my most recent eastbound trip, there were many more rafters/mooners on the Colorado River than I had previously seen. (There were none on the River in December 2011 - only one lone mooner in the parking lot just east of the Moffat Tunnel).

We were late on most of the segments. Arriving at SLC at 4am is not my cup of tea, but there was a group of us and the hotel shuttle picked us up. :)

Book about the Zephyr? I want it! Just picked up used versions of Amtraking and Amtrak by Roger Bradley but would love a book about the Zephyr, especially since we will be on it Chicago to Emeryville in December! Where can I buy?

Book about the Zephyr? I want it! Just picked up used versions of Amtraking and Amtrak by Roger Bradley but would love a book about the Zephyr, especially since we will be on it Chicago to Emeryville in December! Where can I buy?
"zephyr" by henry kisor. you can get the original edition in hard cover on amazon for a penny or the updated kindle version. good read

Henry, I enjoyed your book very much a long time ago and recently re-read it. A nice piece of prose. A revised edition would be welcome.

T'would be nice if the Pullman Company [which is now placing true first class equipment on the City of New Orleans] can someday make a profit by also adding some true Pullman cars to the Zephyr....what fun it would be to read an account by you of a ride on that classic equipment !

ps---

And a "where are they now" chapter telling the later stories of your cast of 1994 crew members could be fun to read.

I ride the CZ Friday 8/15 from Emeryville to Chicago in a bedroom. Hoping for a decent arrival time in Chicago. Have done many of these CZ trips. I will report about my travels the following week when I get back home to Florida.

Ray

I was on the same trip as penny. She described it accurately. This is always a great trip. The equipment is aging. For the most part I was luckily. I had a cold shower on the first segment since there was no hot water. Never thought I could do it, but I did.

Just got the kindle version for my computer and of course, had to scroll through it! Looks wonderful! Can hardly wait to get my mitts on it but will have to wait. A thought just occured to me or maybe a new thread, unless I've missed one. Are there any other must reads I'm missing?

Can Henry digitally sign a digital Kindle copy of the book?

:eek:

I would actually love to see a book "Chief". Hint hint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great crew on my CZ trip this year. We were a few hours late into CHI as we had an issue at Denver and then lost time after that. I detailed it on my blog at trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com. I really loved the diner crew and a poster on this board told me that one of the OBS members on my train had been in that horrific CZ accident and was a hero. He is truly an Amtrak treasure.
I didn't know about your blog till now - your photos are wonderful!

Thanks to all. It's settled. We're going next February or March. I asked my wife, and she said, "What took you so long?"

The equipment was pretty long in the tooth in January of 2012 and expectably it will be shabbier next year.

Thanks also for suggesting an e-book on the Chief. Probably I should wait until the Raton Pass route issue is decided.

Zephyr will be available for the Kobo soon, I hope. Right now it's available only on Kindle and Nook.

I have absolutely no idea how to sign a digital copy but will research it.

AmtrakBlue, please send me your email address in private to [email protected].

I have absolutely no idea how to sign a digital copy but will research it.
T'was tongue and cheek. ;) But if there IS a way.... :D

The fascination with the Chief is the way is intertwined in Native American culture - from the days of the Santa Fe with the long station stops in Albuquerque where locals plied their goods to raising dust in the Mojave dessert at 90 MPH in the middle of a full-moon night...

Took the Zephyr from CHI to EMY in June. It was a marvelous experience. The little inconveniences were just that...little. A great trip, albeit a little pricey, but I'd love to do it again.

Hopefully the Empire Builder is now in my future.

Henry, I have both the original hard cover and the updated 2012 Kendle. I re read it every year or so. I love the CZ. Can't wait for your new update.

Henry, I too have your book, and it's great. I believe it was the first book about Amtrak travel that I bought. An update would be a bonus! Thanks for the good work.

I enjoyed the book, too. Was it written after the Glenwood Canyon segment of I-70 was finished, or earlier? On my last ride this spring, I noticed how the separated lanes, each on their own pillars, really dominate the view from the train. It seemed like every technique they did to make the highway blend in well from the drivers point of view made I-70 even more distracting from the rail perspective. Otherwise, all was well. So much of the route hasn't changed at all. The Grand Junction depot is still fenced off, awaiting renovation, and SLC is still served at a dingy shed in the dead of night.

Maybe you should feature the Sacramento rail museum and Old Town as a pastime for the long, long layover for the NB CS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back