Zephyr coach overniting...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant
As I guess I'm no longer in "guest" status, I'm using this Member board to seek advice about my upcoming CZ trip from Denver to Sacramento in April. I'm actually headed all the way to Modesto on the SJ where my sister is getting re-married on the 23rd, but I want to focus on the DEN>SAC portion which is 31 hours in the schedule. I've already purchased my roundtrip coach ticket which indicated upper-level seating. Later on I looked over CZ coach car diagrams on a website and discovered that all the bathrooms are on lower level and saw on travel sites where some passengers reported trouble sleeping in the upper coach seats. I've done this CZ roundtrip before in 2015 with my elderly father who coughed up for most of the price for our shared roomette, but I don't have the extra $300 or so each way this time to enjoy such luxury after paying for wedding gifts as well as the several nites in my extended stay hotel in Modesto.

FWIW, I generally travel out there twice each year, and usually fly, but this time I chose Amtrak due to the more liberal baggage policy (wedding gifts can go in my two check-ins), plus being able to stay with the same transportation operator all the way to Modesto (which currantly has no commercial airline service, so flying DEN>SFO requires buying both BART and Amtrak tickets to end up in Modesto anyway.)

I'm really excited and anxious about this Amtrak trip, but I have some questions that I hope some of the seasoned riders here can address for me about traveling coach...

1. If I decide after boarding the CZ that the upper level is not for me, can I request to be moved to lower level coach seating if available? If so, is there an extra charge?

2. As visible in my avatar, I'm about as wide as I am high, are my chances good of getting a seat all to myself so my short and stocky build can stretch out on either upper or lower?

3. Is the lower level actually quieter? From what I've read on various websites, most suggest that light sleepers like myself are better off on the bottom, plus it's closer to the bathrooms. Maybe it's TMI but at my age, I'm usually up a couple of times each nite even if I don't drink much, and I'm worried going up and down steps will make it harder for me to get back to sleep, even if I get sleep meds from my MD as planned.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to make sure I arrive in Sacramento rested up!

Upstairs/downstairs is one of those tastes great, less filling arguments. There are many more seats upstairs; and downstairs draws disabled and senior citizens. From that standpoint, downstairs might be quieter than upstairs. But some say the track noise is worse downstairs; and you will definitely have more noise at major stops because the seating is near the door, luggage rack, and stairs. The latter has been my experience, even in the sleepers.

I would say that if going up and down stairs during the night is a major consideration, then I would go with downstairs.

The price is the same. But if you do decide to change, be sure to insist that the phone agent change, not cancel and rebook your reservation.

It is not true that you can't be moved downstairs without modifying your ticket. You could simply ask the coach attendant if you could be seated downstairs instead of upstairs.

That being said, please consider the fact that every time you go to the restroom from a lower level seat you will be disturbing all of the other lower level passengers by opening and closing TWICE the door that shuts out the entry area noise from those lower level seat section occupants -- which could certainly disturb THEIR sleep as much or more than yours.

And upstairs you are far more likely to get a seat to yourself, as there at least 3 times as many seats upstairs as downstairs.

It is not true that you can't be moved downstairs without modifying your ticket. You could simply ask the coach attendant if you could be seated downstairs instead of upstairs.
While it may be possible, it shouldn't happen because what would happen if Rockymtnchris took the last lower level seat (while still ticketed for the upper level), and someone bought a lower level ticket and was assigned to that coach enroute?

As far as "having a [pair of] seat all to [your]self," check Amsnag as your trip date approaches. If coach seats are still selling at low bucket the week of your trip, fair chance. If they're selling at high bucket, very little chance. If they're "sold out", no chance.

ETA: As far as upper level vs. lower level: I recommend upper level unless you have serious mobility issues or problems with stairs. Or, one additional factor: If you're like me at 275 lbs with a broad stern and need extra space to "take care of business", a lower level seat will guarantee you a space near a handicapped toilet...which is the only place on an Amtrak train where you will find that "extra space"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Though coach seats on the CZ are reserved, a seat is not assigned at the time a reservation is made.

If the car has few passengers, and few will be boarding overnight, they may let you pick whatever seat you want.

That's how it worked when I was in coach on the CZ last October from OTM to DEN and in 2014 when I was in coach from RNO to SAC.

If the car has lots of passengers expect to be seated in an area with others getting off at the same station you will be getting off at.

In that case the Train Attendant or Conductor will hand you a slip with the seat assignment and terminating station code on it as you board.

They do that to avoid a 'carry by', or a passenger that didn't get off the train at the station they were ticketed to.

That's how it worked in 2014 when I was in coach from DEN to OTM. 14 of us were getting off in Ottumwa.

Calling Amtrak does allow one to have a note added to the reservation (and manifest) that they desire/need a lower level seat.

Those having mobility issues are given greater consideration regards lower level seating.

If lower level seating is full and a mobility impaired person boards, any clearly mobile person sitting on the lower level is likely going to be asked to move to the upper level.

Some coach passengers opt to sleep in the Sightseer Lounge (SSL) car upper level (Lounge Lizards).

There are 5 or so 'couches' people lay on (the Lounge area) and some people sleep on the floor between the seats and the windows (the Observation area).

The Conductor usually wakes everyone sleeping in the SSL at about 6 AM so early rising passengers that want to can use the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to the "major stops" issue, there are only 4 stops overnight, and only 2 are major, Salt Lake City at 11pm and Winnemucca (crew change) at 5am.

If you need to access the Cafe, car to car access is on the upper level. The Cafe is on the lower level of the SSL. There are approximately 14 seats on the lower level in two coaches and 62 seats on the upper level each of three coaches.

Wow, thanks everyone for their input. Based on what I read, I think I'll keep my upper level ticket intact for the time being as chakk and Lonestar pointed out, there's a much less chance of getting a seat all to myself taking the lower level option. Although I'm not fast on the steps, I don't have issues negotiating them. I'm just worried that the down-and-up to the bathroom would wake me up to where I couldn't fall back to sleep, even with the meds I'm going to ask my MD for.

Looking at the CZ schedule, my plans are to try to sleep solid between Salt Lake and Elko (NV). With the time zone adjustment that span should create roughly a four hour window. Any sleep past that would be considered a bonus. Heck, I've driven several hundred miles before after only five or six hours of sleep in cheaply built motels that got too noisy early, so I figure if I depart Denver after getting a full eight, four hours of sleep pryor to Sacramento should be adequate especially as I'm not behind a steering wheel. I'll just bed down earlier in my Modesto hotel room the evening of my arrival. (Tripadvisor gave that extended stay high ratings on quietness.)

I also appreciate KmH's SSL tip. That might indeed be an option if I end up sharing a seat in U.L. coach AS LONG AS they dim the lights in the lounge during the SLC>EKO portion of the journey. I'm speculating though that if I snag a "pair" of seats in Denver that I'll have them at least to SLC as on my previous trip I recall losing a passenger or two during the Colorado mountain stops and only gaining a few others at Grand Junction. I was already out for the nite in the upper berth of my dad's roomette when we pulled into SLC so I have no idea how busy it might have been, but it will be there that I'll need to place a "move" request should the need arise. On the return portion, I imagine that if I score the double seat as we depart Reno that I'll have it to SLC.

Back