Zephyr connections problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
taking the zepher from emy to chicago on 6/20. I was told that IF I miss my connections (wolverine) I will lbe put up in Chicago by Amtrak overnight and then i would take the wolverine the next day.

has this ever happned to anyone? Where did they put you up for the night in chicago?

Thanks

MC

Between the 4 western LDs, it happens with regularity. It was happening basically all the time with the Empire Builder because of the congestion on the BNSF Hi-Line so they took most of the eastward connections off of the guarantee and you can't book them anymore, point-to-point.

Chicago's Passenger Services has the playbook down for this.

As to the hotel, it depends on where they can get a good rate. Last bad connection I had was off of the Empire Builder in December 2013 and we were put up at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. I've heard when hotels are full, they've put people in a van and shipped them as far out a Schaumberg, but I've never had that happen. I've always been put in in or near the Loop.

There isn't a standard hotel, to my knowledge. It is usually a nice enough hotel, though. They also give you cash for cab fare and meal allowance. They are much better than the airlines in this regard.

Is this a common thing? looks like the zepher today is over 5 hours late. Do people OFTEN have to be put up??

mc
It depends on how late the Zephyr is into CHI! You could also be put in a Thruway Van or Bus to Michigan if the Zephyr isn't too late arriving into Union Station!
I've been put up on Amtraks dime 7 times in CHI, and have never been in the same hotel twice, so it's luck of the draw!

Several members have posted that they are now issuing meal vouchers good only in Union Station food court in lieu of cash, but have no idea how this works if you are taken to a hotel out in the burbs??

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

interesting. I book a train trip and end up with a 6 hour bus ride because they can keep to their sechedule. If I wanted a bus I would have booked a bus. (if I wanted a bus the first thing I would do is book an apointment with a psychiatrist)

If its a bus they want to shift me to, how about using my wolverine ticket the next day and say in chicago on MY dime. Anyone ever do that?

mc

I actually had no idea that Amtrak was generally not keeping to schedual. I've, over the last 15 or so years, done a fair amount of trips from ann arbor to flagstaff and san francisco. Lots of A2 to Milwaukee and back. never had much a an issue with on time performace till everything went to hell on the A2 to Chicago segment. Most of the people I know that took the wolverine have stopped because of the multi hour delays. I had no idea it was also getting to be a big problem on the long distance trains.

bummer

Amtrak doesn't own the tracks on the western LD routes and are at the mercy of the freight railroads that DO own the tracks.

So Amtrak trains often get put on sidings so the freight trains can stay on time.

Amtrak has a law suit in progress against the freight railroads over the issue.

Plus, spring is track work time.

Last month Eagle arrived 8 hours late and the Thruway Michigan bus was waiting. Ever since that bus has been permanently put on the schedule I've assumed hotel vouchers are never given anymore. I did ask about refusing and was told ticket next morning would be paid for however. (I did take the bus....but it's quite an imposition getting someone to pick you up in Kalamazoo at 3am!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Amtrak doesn't own the tracks on the western LD routes and are at the mercy of the freight railroads that DO own the tracks.

So Amtrak trains often get put on sidings so the freight trains can stay on time.

Amtrak has a law suit in progress against the freight railroads over the issue.

Plus, spring is track work time.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last year the CZ we were on was so late (7 hours) we missed our CONO connection. We were billeted at the Swissotel, and given cash for the cab ride to/from. It was a very nice place... that we could not really enjoy.

The issue with being unable to enjoy the nice hotel was the very poor way the missed-connection vouchering was handled. Everybody on the (crowded) train was shuffled into a single queue, and it took us nearly two hours to be processed. We got to the hotel at 0100, having to then get up at 0600 to be back at CHI for 391 (@0815). Customer Relations heard from us on this debacle, which resulted in a fare voucher we haven't had the chance to use (and is about to expire!).

Regarding your voucher: You can book a trip (any trip, like Portland to Vancouver for $6.50--there might be something cheaper) and when you pick up the ticket for the trip and exchange your voucher, the remaining funds voucher is good for another year. Or you could just book a trip and then cancel it and get voucher funds back. Really no reason to ever lose Amtrak voucher funds to expiration. They are very customer friendly with their vouchers (other than having to go to a ticket office to exchange it).

I agree that the handling of missed connections can be a bit frustrating at union station. I was on SWC that was stuck behind a broken down freight outside of Joliet for 7 hours. The CZ was stuck behind us (yes the route was changed due to track work). When we got to Chicago, it was two full trains of people rushing to customer service counter staffed by one and then two people. I literally RAN to the counter and was about 6th in line. Got Swishotel and cab/food voucher. The problem is the vouchers are all filled out by hand, and then you take them across the hall to the ticket counter to get the cab/food cash. The next day, I also talked to people that were in line for over two hours. Seems like it could be streamlined a bit, especially when they knew that several hundred people were missing connections. I was happy with the resolution for the missed connection, just not so much the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip on voucher redemption. Quandary is the nearest staffed office is an hour away, which we'd take the train to/from with the voucher. We'll work harder on finding a use for it. ;)

I specifically suggested to Customer Service that once they know an incoming train is going to miss every or most connections - which in our case they knew at least a day ahead - that they position one or more CS reps to board the train at, say, Galesburg to start processing vouchers. While the cash would obviously need to be handled at CHI, getting the paperwork going ahead of time would save a lot of frayed nerves for folks already on edge from two-plus days of confinement on a train (hint hint hint).

Theres times at Chicago Union Station when there is about 2 people in the ticket booths and no one at the guest relations/customer service desk.

Theres times at Chicago Union Station when there is about 2 people in the ticket booths and no one at the guest relations/customer service desk.
Yes, but normal staffing is no excuse. They know hours in advance when they have (very) late trains full of people with connections. There's work to be done, and you call in staff to handle the load.

Yes, but normal staffing is no excuse. They know hours in advance when they have (very) late trains full of people with connections. There's work to be done, and you call in staff to handle the load.
Am I missing something? I thought since they added the Michigan 10:55pm Thruway bus a few months ago, there would no longer be any vouchers.

Got Swishotel and cab/food voucher. The problem is the vouchers are all filled out by hand, and then you take them across the hall to the ticket counter to get the cab/food cash. T
What Steve is saying is that it's a two stage process, pick up the vouchers at customer relations and the cash at the ticket counter. Assuming you have cash or credit or debit card, you can skip the second line and pick up the cash the next day at your leisure.

For us, the "second line" (cash) was no problem at all. With paperwork in hand, that transaction took seconds. The queue was entirely the paperwork. Always a systems engineer, I timed the process - it took a minimum of five minutes to complete each passenger's voucher. There were possibly 200, maybe 250 from our train needing vouchers, although I did not compute how many were couples or families on the same ticket. Considering that each clerk could only manage 12 vouchers an hour at best and we started with only two clerks, you instantly see where the problem was. There were five, maybe six clerks working the crowd after about 90 minutes, so it was evident (at least to me) that the extra help was summoned only after the manager noticed he was in deep doo.

As frequently as trains are late into CHI especially from the West and that most customers are making connections, one would think they had a better system (i.e., automated) for handling the problem. And, like I said, they knew this train was going to have connection problems more than 24 hours in advance. At very least, the extra help should have been there waiting for the train.

We'll be doing this again, this time from #8, in three days. The train has been too late for our connection three times in the past month. Fingers are crossed.

For us, the "second line" (cash) was no problem at all. With paperwork in hand, that transaction took seconds. The queue was entirely the paperwork. Always a systems engineer, I timed the process - it took a minimum of five minutes to complete each passenger's voucher. There were possibly 200, maybe 250 from our train needing vouchers, although I did not compute how many were couples or families on the same ticket. Considering that each clerk could only manage 12 vouchers an hour at best and we started with only two clerks, you instantly see where the problem was. There were five, maybe six clerks working the crowd after about 90 minutes, so it was evident (at least to me) that the extra help was summoned only after the manager noticed he was in deep doo.

As frequently as trains are late into CHI especially from the West and that most customers are making connections, one would think they had a better system (i.e., automated) for handling the problem. And, like I said, they knew this train was going to have connection problems more than 24 hours in advance. At very least, the extra help should have been there waiting for the train.

We'll be doing this again, this time from #8, in three days. The train has been too late for our connection three times in the past month. Fingers are crossed.
I hope you make your connection to the Wolverine, but if you don't, plan on taking the Thruway bus scheduled for 10:55pm. They don't hand out hotel vouchers anymore, as a way to save money.....you are expected to take the bus.

We are connecting to the CONO. There would be a hotel stay as there is no alternative.

C855B, there is an alternate if you are on a late CZ or SC depending on how late the CZ or SC is compared to CONO departing Chicago. That possibility is a bustitution Galesburg, IL, to Champaign, IL to meet the CONO in Champaign. That is a regular thru way connection.

TT, C855B said they'd be coming in on #8, Empire Builder, trying to make a CONO connection. He's right - there are no other trains going south after the CONO leaves @8pm. Where would they bustitute 'from' on the EB route? I'm following this topic closely because I'll be hoping for the same connection in late July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back