10 month old in dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They just announced early bird “lunch” for coach at your seat. I’ve only heard it offered for dinner in the past. Chicken sandwich, chips, cookie, water 10 bucks.
When I took the TE/SL last February, they were offering it for lunch and dinner. It is interesting how the Sunset seems to be the only train in the Amtrak system that calls it the “early bird special”, whereas all the other routes offering it refer to it as “Just-for-you” service (which is the official name). :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas Eage today. Not impressed with the CCC/diner. First time I’ve been in one. This one needs a deep cleaning, it has an off smell as soon as you walk in. The floors and shiny surfaces all have grime and gunk on them. The half with the weird booths appears to be employee break area only. 

As far as the baby her booster seat doesn’t work in the CCC. The CCC has about 24 inches between back of seat and the table. Where as the normal diner had maybe 18 inches. My numbers may be off but you get the gist. They said just to bring her car seat in for meal times later. It’s big enough the car seat will easily fit in. Sunset last night decked out for NY’s attached.

View attachment 11896
Sorry to hear about your experience in the CCC, but I am glad to see the decoration on the Sunset. I’m currently on the Meteor, and the train isn’t decorated or celebratory in any way. :(

Trip ended well. The seats in the CCC are really ALOT bigger then the normal diner. So much that her car seat fit in the longer way, she was still too far from table to eat by herself but it worked out.

6 days 5 nights went by like a blur. The stereotype of LA crews being more friendly then Chi crews held true. Eagle crews were definitely more standofish then the SWC and Sunset. Not that the Eagle crew was bad the other crews just went above and beyond.  Nice thing about traveling Christmas Eve/day and NY’s Eve/day all trains were on time or early due to few freights. 

If we do it next year though we’ll stick with the SWC both ways quicker trip better scenery. Thanks for all your great comments and help with the trip planning. Happy new year!

Car seat in CCC booth with room to spare. Sunset New Year’s Eve dinner..

5DACC38E-1A30-4840-A32C-43CB5483E09B.jpeg

F533D5A5-3E52-48CF-9CA4-E0C05C39F21E.jpeg

B9CB28C1-6687-4C72-BE08-E70E9BB212C1.jpeg

Back