10 pm arrival in San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranke

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Arriving San Antonio 10 pm (on the Texas Eagle). If I am reading the station hours correctly, they are from 9 pm to 7:15 the following morning. Does this mean that, if I want to leave my luggage in the station overnight, I will not be able to retrieve it after 7:15 am the following day? (I think I know the answer, but it never hurts to confirm.)

Also, I see that there is a new hotel option within walking distance of the station: a Knights Inn with very favorable reviews and very reasonable prices. But it's several blocks east on Commerce - should safety be a concern this late at night?

Are you coming in from the west on #2 or #422?
huh.gif
If you're booked on #422 thru SAS, you do not have to get off the train, if you don't want to. (You could even stay aboard and sleep thru the stop!) If you're on #2 switching to either #422 or #22, you will have to get off. You can either stay in the station or get a hotel (if you wish), but boarding usually begins about 6:30 AM (IIRC). You can leave your bags at the station, if you wish. I think they charge $3 a bag storage fee.

Arriving San Antonio 10 pm (on the Texas Eagle). If I am reading the station hours correctly, they are from 9 pm to 7:15 the following morning. Does this mean that, if I want to leave my luggage in the station overnight, I will not be able to retrieve it after 7:15 am the following day? (I think I know the answer, but it never hurts to confirm.)

Also, I see that there is a new hotel option within walking distance of the station: a Knights Inn with very favorable reviews and very reasonable prices. But it's several blocks east on Commerce - should safety be a concern this late at night?
Yes, you will have to pick your bags up before 7:15 AM. Otherwise you won't get them. Not really sure about the area east of the station though. I've never ventured that, but I don't think its that bad. I'll be in SAS a week from today, so I may have to check it out. Also there are usually taxis waiting right at the station.

I was in SAS last July and took the TE from STL to SAS. I didn't find any of the area near the train station to be "bad". I felt comfortable the whole time in the area of the station.

I was on the SL through SAS a couple of weeks ago. I walked throughout the area surrounding the station and never felt unsafe. There were a lot of people out at the restaurants and bars even at 11:30 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back