16 year old denied passage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ticket was printed and the travel date has past.. No refund will be issued. Amtrak sticks to their guns on that.... We can all dream on that. To get a full refund without the 10% charge or a travel voucher you would have to cancel before departure time. I don't know if that includes if the train is late but the ticket wasn't cancelled at all there for the ticket is valid.
Really? Even those most heinous airlines will give a full refund to the original payment instrument for involuntary denial of transport. I doubt that Amtrak will be stupid enough to be worse than airlines in this case.
This definitely isn't the case. I'm not recounting the whole messed up story of my trip last December (which from a train operations perspective went swimmingly--we had the 8400 in both directions), but I was issued a partial refund for a trip for which (a) the tickets were already printed and (b) the traveler had already arrived at her final destination. A 10% charge was assessed against the refund, but a refund was issued all the same.

I too think that Amtrak needs to loosen up thier policy somewhat. I'm 14. Last summer I traveled to Africa on my own, I think I'd be able to make it through the NEC without a problem. I love my independence, and I hate rules like this that restrict it.
And as a 14 year old, you can actually travel through the NEC as an unaccompanied minor as long as you arrive and depart from a staffed station. You just can't board from an unmanned station.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245658491

This illustrates one of the bigger problems that I see at Amtrak, which is that every two bit gate agent thinks that they can make up the rules as they go along and then throw their weight around about it. Huge discipline problem exists as far as I can tell, having suffered through various aspects of it from time to time, and Amtrak management seems to be totally at a loss as to what to do about fixing it. OK enough bitching for a day from me now :-/

This illustrates one of the bigger problems that I see at Amtrak, which is that every two bit gate agent thinks that they can make up the rules as they go along and then throw their weight around about it. Huge discipline problem exists as far as I can tell, having suffered through various aspects of it from time to time, and Amtrak management seems to be totally at a loss as to what to do about fixing it. OK enough bitching for a day from me now :-/
This recently happened to me at LAUPT which is why this topic strikes a nerve. Upon confronting an employee who was improvisationally manufacturing Amtrak policy, she offered several disparate and nonsensical rationales for her directive. And when pressed for a citation where the policy could be corroborated, she demurred and stormed off without further comment. I went on to ignore her original admonitions and go about my boarding.

I don't necessarily advocate calling an employee's bluff in a confrontational manner, but until management gets a handle on Amtrak's loose cannons, I also can't stand by while unchecked egos run amok.

This recently happened to me at LAUPT which is why this topic strikes a nerve. Upon confronting an employee who was improvisationally manufacturing Amtrak policy, she offered several disparate and nonsensical rationales for her directive. And when pressed for a citation where the policy could be corroborated, she demurred and stormed off without further comment. I went on to ignore her original admonitions and go about my boarding.

I don't necessarily advocate calling an employee's bluff in a confrontational manner, but until management gets a handle on Amtrak's loose cannons, I also can't stand by while unchecked egos run amok.
Did you report to Amtrak? If not, do so now, people can't fix what they don't hear about.

This illustrates one of the bigger problems that I see at Amtrak, which is that every two bit gate agent thinks that they can make up the rules as they go along and then throw their weight around about it. Huge discipline problem exists as far as I can tell, having suffered through various aspects of it from time to time, and Amtrak management seems to be totally at a loss as to what to do about fixing it.
I think Amtrak's workers do wonderfully for employees without any training or supervision.

Did you report to Amtrak? If not, do so now, people can't fix what they don't hear about.
You bet I did. I wrote a carefully worded, unemotional account of the incident for that very reason. LAUPT is my home station, and I do not want myself or others to experience another dose of that nonsense.

What kind of policy did she make up? :(

You bet I did. I wrote a carefully worded, unemotional account of the incident for that very reason. LAUPT is my home station, and I do not want myself or others to experience another dose of that nonsense.
Good! Thanks.

Thank you from me too. LAUS can be hectic, and it does not take much to push an employee over the edge with all of the crazies they already have to deal with every day. Although their job can be frustrating, they deserve to be put in their place. The less bad agents at LAUS the better. I use it frequently.

She was attempting to tell me that I was not allowed to board my train yet but couldn't articulate why. My train was already backed into its normal Track 10, SCAs were waiting at their doors for pax, and Redcaps had already dropped off the first load of their peeps and were on their way back for more. It was pure horsesh*t and a failed attempt at invoking a power trip. As often happens in these situations, she painted herself into a corner and stormed off because it was the only move she had left. All too predictable.

She was attempting to tell me that I was not allowed to board my train yet but couldn't articulate why. My train was already backed into its normal Track 10, SCAs were waiting at their doors for pax, and Redcaps had already dropped off the first load of their peeps and were on their way back for more. It was pure horsesh*t and a failed attempt at invoking a power trip. As often happens in these situations, she painted herself into a corner and stormed off because it was the only move she had left. All too predictable.
Who was the employee? Conductor, TA, or Station Agent? And did you bother to get a name? Just wondering, since I work with these people nearly every day...

Who was the employee? Conductor, TA, or Station Agent? And did you bother to get a name? Just wondering, since I work with these people nearly every day...
Station personnel, not OBS or T&E. Of course I got her name, but I see no reason to publicly shame her here. That's why I went to the trouble of documenting the incident and reporting it to Amtrak. My sole interest in the situation is to ensure that I do not have another experience like this at LAUPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back