174 > 43 connection too risky?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeaver

Lead Service Attendant
In planning a trip to Pennsylvania, I have booked the 86 out of RVR, connecting to 43 in PHL. That leaves me with a 2 hour and 11 minute layover in Philadelphia, which I'm really not too excited about. Taking the 174 out of RVR would depart an hour later, but would give me just 30 minutes in PHL, which seems way too tight but given this train's OTP, it may be a valid option. Any thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't count on any train originating in Virginia being on time, particularly if your destination is west of Harrisburg.

In planning a trip to Pennsylvania, I have booked the 86 out of RVR, connecting to 43 in PHL. That leaves me with a 2 hour and 11 minute layover in Philadelphia, which I'm really not too excited about. Taking the 174 out of RVR would depart an hour later, but would give me just 30 minutes in PHL, which seems way too tight but given this train's OTP, it may be a valid option. Any thoughts?
Is your destination west of Harrisburg? If so, what is your backup plan if you miss the once a day Pennsylvanian? Spend the night in Philly? Take a bus? Get a rental car? Take a Keystone to Harrisburg and get a bus or rental car there?

The OTP numbers Amtrak posts are the endpoint OTPs and they can be on the generous side. #174 was pretty much on-time yesterday, but according to Amtrak status map, #86 got to PHL 26 minutes late on April 2. It got to BOS 9 minutes late, so it was on-time when it arrived at the endpoint in Boston.

30th Street Station is not a bad station to spend a couple of hours in.

I'm heading to Lewistown, meaning that 43 is my only option for that day. I suppose that not missing that connection is more important than a short layover in PHL...

While nobody want a layover, Philadelphia station isn't a bad place to have a layover.

Taking 174 would be way to much of a risk. 86 is good enough. Plus PHL is a great place for a layover. Maybe you can score a ClubAcela pass. That would make it a bit better for you. Normally 43 and 42 come in on 7 and 8 which means stairway 7 which has the last elevator in the lounge. Normally 7. With 86 things get crazy. You'll be on track 3 unless there's a diesel in the lead then it's 1 or 2. At the same time 86 gets in 2158 is coming in on track 4 so the platform is very crowded. The last time I rode 2158 the CA attendant let us down after the general announcement for 86 and 2158. I and the other FC passengers that were in the lounge had to fight our way to the other end of the platform.

Agree, 174 from RVR is risky even with the padding these trains have at WAS.

If you can estimate the likelihood of missing that 30 minute connection and weighting that against the cost of a cab from HAR to Lewistown, you should be able to make a rational decision.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be too close, even with the 50 minute pad in WAS. Is there the ability to store a bag at PHL like there is at NYP? I may use the two hour layover to run down to Independence Hall/Liberty Bell Center...unless that would be too much to try in 2 hours! The connectivity from PHL to SEPTA seems rather good. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be too close, even with the 50 minute pad in WAS. Is there the ability to store a bag at PHL like there is at NYP? I may use the two hour layover to run down to Independence Hall/Liberty Bell Center...unless that would be too much to try in 2 hours! The connectivity from PHL to SEPTA seems rather good. Anyone ever done this?
I am not sure about bag storage but I think it would be tight going down there in 2 hours. You can do it but depending when you are there, you may have to wait to get in.

Too tight for such an sidetrip. You'd be done for if you missed 43.

I believe bags are $4 each at the Baggage Check. Although I'd leave them with a Red Cap, The Red Cap area is between Stairways three and five. It's free and they'll take you down to the train before the cattle call. When you get off 86 if you come up the stairway that has escalator and stairs make a hard right and it'll be in front of you. If you come up a stairway that's just stairs, when you get to the top look to your 11 o clock and it'll be in front of you.

Too tight for such an sidetrip. You'd be done for if you missed 43.
2 hours is enough to run down to the liberty bell for a quick gander. I have gone between PHL and the liberty bell area in an hour.

If you want to see the liberty bell, the quickest way is walk to the Market Frankford Line, take that to 5th street. The fare is $2.00 each way per person. Or you can buy tokens at the ticket office at 30th Street IIRC. I would do that, it saves some money and soon Septa will be phasing them out along with transfers.

If you're interested in a PHL side trip, consider booking an even earlier connection. You can use the multi-city option if you're not offered a longer layover. Fare should be the same so long as the earlier train isn't selling at a higher fare bucket.

If you want to see the liberty bell, the quickest way is walk to the Market Frankford Line, take that to 5th street. The fare is $2.00 each way per person. Or you can buy tokens at the ticket office at 30th Street IIRC. I would do that, it saves some money and soon Septa will be phasing them out along with transfers.
Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of walk, you can just go upstairs at 30th Street and catch a SEPTA Commuter train to the Market East stop. It's a free ride with your Amtrak ticket stub going there and your Penny ticket coming back. You'll have to walk 5 blocks or so to the Bell, but it is cheaper and frankly might be almost as fast as walking to the subway, paying a fare, and dealing the the multiple stops that the subway will make.

Or if you just want to wander around Center City, then take the SEPTA commuter train to the Suburban Station. Again, it's a free ride as an Amtrak customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also go to Reading terminal Market.

I do have a questions on how frequent the trains are between 30th Street and Market East? It seems like multiple regional rail lines go through here. Is this really quicker than catching the subway?

Penny ticket coming back
Penny won't share her ticket with anyone!
laugh.gif
She even walked me out to my Regional at WAS - just to make sure I left town!
mosking.gif

You can also go to Reading terminal Market.

I do have a questions on how frequent the trains are between 30th Street and Market East? It seems like multiple regional rail lines go through here. Is this really quicker than catching the subway?
For Reading Terminal Market it becomes a no brainer to take the commuter rail.

As for frequency, a lot depends on the time of day as well as whether one is traveling a weekday or a weekend. On a weekday, midday, I'd be surprised if you waited more than 10 minutes for a train. During rush hour, even less. On the weekend, it could be a bit longer.

All that said, the SEPTA ride guide for what its worth says that it's 16 minutes to ride the subway and 21 to take the commuter rail to reach the Liberty Bell. That includes walking time too. So it comes down to, does one want to save the 2 bits and walk a bit, or do you want to spend money and walk less. I suppose that one could also factor in the current weather to that equation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back