1st Class Lounge Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is something (relatively) new. With the anticipated continued delays of the EB, Amtrak no longer will guarantee any connection from the EB in either PDX or CHI, except to the LSL. (Actually I'm not even sure about that one. They did guarantee it, but I think that was broken also,)

I think some people are confused by the fact that she's NOT connecting to another LD train. Sounds like she's connecting to a "commuter" train (Blue Water, Wolverine, etc). I'm sure they are handled differently in regards to being able to get on an earlier train (without major upcharge).

Not commuter train like the Metro, but the short runs that Amtrak runs to smaller towns in Illinois that aren't suburbs of Chicago. Though often confused as suburbs of Chicago :) No matter how far we live away

Why would there be a major upcharge on an LD connection? Seems like the OP is trying to do things however Amtrak wants, or at least in whichever manner Amtrak will allow her to. If they're no longer going to guarantee the connections from the EB that's certainly their right, but I'd be disappointed if they continued to assess upcharges for folks who luck out with an arrival that provides a more reasonable connection.

I have no idea if there would be a upcharge. I don't travel much. I do know that I've tried catching an earlier NER and decided to hang out at the station rather than pay the difference in price. I was in no hurry, so it wasn't worth it (considering my financial situation at the time).

When I booked my late September/early October cross country trip in January they still allowed me to book the Empire Builder to the LSL the same day.

I think I've paid a difference, but I assumed it was because we were buying them the same day and, therefore, they were high-bucket.

I think I've paid a difference, but I assumed it was because we were buying them the same day and, therefore, they were high-bucket.
Correct you have to pay the current rate when you change. On a same day change there can be a considerable up charge. For example I paid $60 to change to a regional two hours earlier a few weeks ago.
M

Correct you have to pay the current rate when you change. On a same day change there can be a considerable up charge. For example I paid $60 to change to a regional two hours earlier a few weeks ago.
M
Okay, good. Thanks for the confirmation.

Sometimes it's worth $20 to get home a few hours earlier. :)

M
Okay, good. Thanks for the confirmation.

Sometimes it's worth $20 to get home a few hours earlier. :)
Oh I agree I will almost always pay $$20. But sometimes if you book low bucket the bucket changes can easily be $100 or more for a same day change. When I has that change two weeks ago my original fare was like $100 and I paid $60 to change same day - fir a regional. If I wanted to switch to acela I was looking at an extra $150 to get home one hour earlier.

Oh, I agree. I was speaking about my circumstance. I agree that $150 (or even $60 sometimes) is rather prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back