2 Millionth AGR Member Promotion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Just got the e-mail and registered for a share of the 2,000,000 AGR points Amtrak will be handing out for travel on 8-20-09. It says points will post by 10-1-09, and will not post with other points earned on that day.

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Terms and Conditions:Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this promotion online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 (option 2) using registration code 81009. Qualifying Amtrak travel must be taken on August 20, 2009 and the reservation must include your Amtrak Guest Rewards membership number. Redemption travel does not qualify for this promotion.

The share of two million points will be determined based on the total number of Amtrak Guest Rewards members registered for this promotion with travel on August 20, 2009, regardless of the number of trips taken by each member that day. The share of two million points is in addition to regular Amtrak travel points or any other promotional bonus points you may qualify for on August 20, 2009. These bonus points will post separately to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account by October 1, 2009, and will not post at the time of your Amtrak travel points or promotional bonus points earned on August 20, 2009.

Just got the e-mail and registered for a share of the 2,000,000 AGR points Amtrak will be handing out for travel on 8-20-09. It says points will post by 10-1-09, and will not post with other points earned on that day.

WHOOZ - when I click your link my security stuff goes bananas.

I wonder if this is a scam and they are getting your number and PW?

I went to AGR regular site and I can't find anything about this promotion (doesn't mean it isn't there). Also, the URL for your link does NOT have www before amtrakguestewards.

When I sign in on the regular AGR page and then click your link I should be signed in on that page, too, wouldn't you think.

Can anyone verify if this is legit or not?

Thanks!!!

I just checked further and this really looks like a phishing web page!

I can confirm that the promo is legit. It's now appearing on my home page when I log into my AGR account. Guess it's time to plan a quick trip! :)

I wonder how many points it would be. I could book a trip from Mcgregor to Temple. The fare is only 10 dollars. I could get my daughter to drive me to Mcgregor then pick me up in Temple.

Hummmmmm.....

OK - that new link posted works correctly. I changed it in WHOOZ's posts and replies so we should be OK.

Sorry to panic, but my security stuff really went off with that original link.

I wonder why the two pages - www.amtrakguestrewards.com and just amtrakguestrewards.com (no www) bring up two different home pages???

One of the admins and I have discussed this situation further.

There is still a chance there may be a phishing page out there that looks like the AGR page.

While the promotion seems legitimate, please be very careful how you get to the promotion page.

We are in contact with Amtrak and AGR regarding this situation.

It appears to be legit. When I click on the link, it goes to www. - with my AGR # input. (I previously logged in 10 minutes ago, and logged off.) After I registered, it showed up under "my promotions"!

One of my paid segments just happen to be on August 20 - thanks! :cool: (Don't anyone else travel that day - I could use 2 million points! :lol: )

It's hosted on the official site. They just don't have it configured right for using a security certificate without the www prefix (they should have it for *.amtrakguestrewards.com, not just www.amtrakguestrewards.com). Just go through the link I gave or the www.amtrakguestrewards.com front page.

Anyway, who wants to guess how many eligible AGR members will travel that day?

It appears to be legit. When I click on the link, it goes to www. - with my AGR # input. (I previously logged in 10 minutes ago, and logged off.) After I registered, it showed up under "my promotions"!
One of my paid segments just happen to be on August 20 - thanks! :cool: (Don't anyone else travel that day - I could use 2 million points! :lol: )
Dave - the original link WHOOZ posted has been removed and replaced with the correct link. We're not saying the promotion is bogus, only the link from a scam site that looks like an AGR page. If you register from the legit AGR page (which has www in the URL) you should be OK.

Tom

There you go again Dave!We points poor peons want a crust of bread and you want the bakery! :lol: It is a hoot to think how many of

us are looking for quickie trips that day(AUS-TAY-AUS comes to mind for me!),but of course realizing that maybe well get 5 points each by the time this is over!LOL!!!!!!!

Let me note that upon receipt of the promotional e-mail I registered immediately; there were no certificate issues. When I first posted a link to the promotion here, for some reason my AGR number showed on the promo page when the link was clicked (I had logged out after registering). I edited my post to remove that link. It was when I sought another link directly from the AGR website - one that wouldn't show my number - that the certificate issue arose.

EDIT: As I retraced my steps I found that I was incorrect in saying the link came from Amtrak. In fact I had typed in the URL, without using the www prefix, and that's what got me to the bogus site.

It looks like a day trip to FTW just came on the radar :) Now if this is equal shares, I wonder how many AGR members there are and realistically how many points one can put in their kitty?

I have never done a pure points run before, but I'm thinking about it. Realistically, don't you think most AGR members are commuters who travel on the train every weekday, and will be traveling on August 20 like any other day? Giving us a bonus of about 4 points each? lol

Thanks for the link. I did not receive an e=mail nor did I see a link on the AGR site. I came back here and clicked on the link above and I'm registered.

Now, I must arrange to travel on Aug 20th. Where is everyone going? Anyone departing from NYP?

I have talked with an Amtrak official and they are looking into this situation.

In the mean time they say - only log into www.amtrakguestrewards.com and not amtrakguestrewards.com that doesn't have the www in front of it.

Questions let me or one of the admins know.

I just registered from the link right off the AGR home page. Two clicks and I was set up and within a few seconds recieved a confirmation e-mail from Amtrak. It's legit.

I looked on the calendar. It looks like the Mrs. is free a nice little day trip to Herman MO for lunch and back on the MORR maybe in order. I understand Herman MO is a good wine town. If the SWC could run on time I could just drive across town but I will drive to KC. I don’t have enough guts to try the AM SWC-MORR connection.

I went to amtrak.com and got to the AGR site through the main amtrak.com site. I signed in, clicked under the 'hot deals' tab and there is was along with all the other promos and such.

if its a scam, it's AGR that's causing it!

I went to amtrak.com and got to the AGR site through the main amtrak.com site. I signed in, clicked under the 'hot deals' tab and there is was along with all the other promos and such.
if its a scam, it's AGR that's causing it!
The promotion isn't a scam, its legit. There was a page that wasn't really an AGR page that looks like an AGR page that was causing the concern.

It's a cool promo, but not likely worth much. If 100,000 AGR members registered (and that's not a big number) then there's only 20 points in it for everybody.

I can confirm that the promo is legit. It's now appearing on my home page when I log into my AGR account. Guess it's time to plan a quick trip! :)
I plan to work a half day (since I work Downtown) hope the subway to Union Station and go LAX-FUL and turn around an hour later and go FUL-LAX so I can leave around 5 PM with my car pool buddy.

Amtrak and AGR have just notified us that they were aware of the bad certificate problem with the non-www page. It is NOT a scam or phishing page so all is well in Amtrakland!

Back